Exhaust using an R-77 Yoshimura can

sunkist

Hi All,

First thread here, just to show you all how I modified my exhaust.

First up, I didn't really like the sound of the TBR exhaust when i heard it in person(personal preference) so I wasn't intending on spending the cash on a new one.

I had a Yoshimura R-77 carbon can i had from my previous ninja 300 that didn't get sold with the bike, so thought i could do something with that.

Figured I would need to shorten the can to get it to sit where i wanted it to sit so i cut it almost in half.

I probably didn't need to shorten it this much but it once it was cut there was no going back.

Then used a band saw to cut the stock muffler off and welded a reducer on and some bends to get the cannon to sit where i wanted it to. and done.

Heres a video, although as usual, it sounds much better in real life!

YouTube

When I have some more time, i'll pull it all off again and paint the newly added part.

saberX

thnx for this.

did u use a power-commander with block off plates?

I want to do this but can't afford the PCV.

sunkist

I havnt done either yet. But I don't reccomend modding the exhaust without some sort of fuel management (especially non AUS)

In AUS we have O2 sensors unlike US. So some management is taken care of. As well as a restrictor plate that really doesn't allow you to thrash anyway.

And from what I searched, the block offs are only to reduce popping - I like popping lol.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Sandyman

If you're just doing a slip on, you really don't need to do anything else.
I'm interested in your thoughts on this because as far as I have seen, nearly ever single thread about putting a slip-on type exhaust has included a comment from Marthy about how your really should have some sort of fuel controller (PCV or other).

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

engineered2win

I havnt done either yet. But I don't reccomend modding the exhaust without some sort of fuel management (especially non AUS)

In AUS we have O2 sensors unlike US. So some management is taken care of. As well as a restrictor plate that really doesn't allow you to thrash anyway.

And from what I searched, the block offs are only to reduce popping - I like popping lol.
The narrowband O2 sensor corrections can only occur at stoichiometric engine conditions. For all intents and purposes there is no difference between a US or Rest of World spec FZ6R as far as the ECU compensating for increased airflow. Once you are at part throttle and the ECU starts to enrich, it will be in open loop.

pwalston25

It looks and sounds great. I have an R77 laying around off my gsxr 750 and I was wondering about doing the same thing you did