Exhaust Questions

armado

Hello!

I recently moved to Seattle, WA from Montreal, Canada and brought along my 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. I have nada experience of modifying motorcycles other than riding them. My questions are

1) Is it cumbersome to install Marthy's exhaust system?

2) Is it illegal in WA to install that exhaust system?

3) Last but not the least, are there other riders here from Seattle area who can guide me to a local mechanic?

Thanks in advance!

06330i

All aftermarket exhaust systems are considered "for offroad use only" so they're "considered" illegal, although most states aren't too strict about having an aftermarket exhaust. And as far as installing the system it's super easy. If you can use a socket set and allen keys you'll be fine. Took me about 45 mins to install mine.

06330i

Well, if you have the big bucks two bros is the way to go, but marthy on this forum is a really good guy and does his own systems too for about half the price of other systems. I have one of his systems and its fantastic. hes a great guy to do business with and will bend over backwards to make sure youre happy with your choice.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

armado

Thanks for the information guys! Appreciate your insight and research.

I still want to be heard on the road. Maybe it is worth the risk. Since I am a newbie, I will go ahead and pepper Marthy with my questions regarding his product.

In the meantime, let me ask a dumb question. If a cop pulls over, how would he/she know the exhaust is modified (unless there is a product info on the exhaust)?

BoneJj

Id imagine most wont hassle you over it. worst case is that you keep your stock exhaust laying around incase you get a fix it tick it.
This, I have found that most cops don't mind a louder exhaust on a bike as they mostly tend to think of it as a safety issue but also don't go stupid loud either....

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

godwearsblack

If you're popping wheelies and caught doing 100mph or more they will cite you for you're exhaust while they're at it.

Will they pull you over specifically for you're exhaust? Probably not. Most cops wouldn't even know if it's technically illegal. Worst case scenerio you will get a ticket.

And believe me, it's worth the ticket! So go and put some pipes on that thing!

And.... Welcome to the forum..
haha I like that, haha I bet it would be worth the ticket, I need to get something for mine quick

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Bloke

Why? Loud pipes save lives? It's cooler? You get more chicks?
He'd be better off with a forward facing exhaust. Loud pipes imo are only loud when its too late (I.e. you are already alongside the car), any perceived benefit from them otherwise is the same as a sugar pill or saline injection.

Loud pipes do sound cool though I'll give you that but safety wise as effective as a paper condom.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

He'd be better off with a forward facing exhaust. Loud pipes imo are only loud when its too late (I.e. you are already alongside the car), any perceived benefit from them otherwise is the same as a sugar pill or saline injection.

Loud pipes do sound cool though I'll give you that but safety wise as effective as a paper condom.
Im sorry but this is just untrue.

The sound reflects off the K-rails and other vehicles, so more often then not they hear a loud noise/drone, and look around to see what it is/why its so loud.

ANY added equipment that makes me more noticeable to drivers ( even if its a tiny amount ) is worth its weight in gold.

With that said, i have the stock exhaust and modded the outlet and its plenty loud and cost 30 dollars at a welding shop if you bring the header. So 30 bucks and everyone on the freeway can hear me. Its a no brain-er.

Bloke

Im sorry but this is just untrue.

The sound reflects off the K-rails and other vehicles, so more often then not they hear a loud noise/drone, and look around to see what it is/why its so loud.

ANY added equipment that makes me more noticeable to drivers ( even if its a tiny amount ) is worth its weight in gold.

With that said, i have the stock exhaust and modded the outlet and its plenty loud and cost 30 dollars at a welding shop if you bring the header. So 30 bucks and everyone on the freeway can hear me. Its a no brain-er.
I'm sorry but this is just untrue.

While the sound does indeed reflect off of surrounding structures, the direction of such sound waves would be behind the rider, while scatter may send a few errant sounds in the right direction these are not of a sufficient amplitude to be noted over the volume of the average stereo inside a vehicle.

loud pipes fail to inform drivers in front of you of your presence until its pretty much too late. Like I said, it's a sugar pill. If it makes you feel better to justify it then fair enough but in truth in my experience as a driver and rider it makes next to no difference.

TssTssTss

While the sound does indeed reflect off of surrounding structures, the direction of such sound waves would be behind the rider, while scatter may send a few errant sounds in the right direction these are not of a sufficient amplitude to be noted over the volume of the average stereo inside a vehicle.

loud pipes fail to inform drivers in front of you of your presence until its pretty much too late. Like I said, it's a sugar pill. If it makes you feel better to justify it then fair enough but in truth in my experience as a driver and rider it makes next to no difference.
FWIW, there have been many times - too many to count, in fact - that I've been driving in my cage and could *clearly* hear what I knew was a motorcycle approaching from behind me. Sound is directional, and I would never argue that it wasn't, but based on my personal experience, loud pipes make me realize a bike is nearby before I can see them anywhere other than in my mirrors.

YMMV, of course.

SurfJunkie

Then ill stay in my "peace of mind" bubble.
Even if it makes 1 additional driver look for me, ill take it.
With that logic, why buy a two bros at all ? The extra 5HP and needed $$ on a power command literally makes the HP per $ spent a moot point. May as well go spend the money on a super sport then and stop modding this bike entirely.
Also, my experience as a rider ( 5 days a week unless its raining, and in Southern California, its not often. ) and a driver is exactly the opposite.

Last edited:

Bloke

Hum... Because loud pipes sound awesome? :) nothing beats that feeling when you hear the resonance in a tunnel with a loud pipe. Vroom. It's part of motorcycling, it's bloody brilliant. Even stock at 8k rpm a sweet tune is played.

I agree to having loud pipes (within reason, straight pipes with no db killer take the mick) just for different justifications :)