Exhaust Modifications on FZ6R

GartnerB

Does anyone have any suggestions for exhaust modifications on my Yamaha? I didn't want anything that would burn a hole in my pocket but I am so sick of the wimpy stock exhaust. I was also wondering if adding a custom exhaust would increase the HP at all or affect the pressure intake on the bike negatively as I do not want to do anything to harm my FZ6R. Additionally would you think that this would diminish resale value or not? Thank you.

FZ6R_Mike

Do the R6 header with a slip on. Its cheap but takes a little bit of work. You will have to heat the header and bend it to clear the oil pan. I also bought block off plates for the AIS system. I think all together it cost under $200. You can also do the 5 minute mod but its not really worth it. It will make it a little bit louder but that's it.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

FZ6R_Mike

I forgot about marthy exhaust. I don't think anything was drastically changed over the years but I'm not positive. Marthy has the option of you sending your exhaust to him and he modifies it for you.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jarshie

Will vouch for marthy's diy exhaust mod. Def worth the cost, bike sounds so nice now

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

tanoz

I actually met someone today, who has a r6 header that fits on without the need to bend. He had a 10 fz6r and an 06 or 07 r6 two brothers system on. Made it very clear he didnt need to bend the header at all. Didnt even put a bracket on for the longer can, but he had welded it at the mid pipe. Track days and 3 years of riding and never had a problem.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Last edited:

tanoz

Sorry should have clarified, he had the original yamaha r6 headers and a two brothers can. Not the two brothers full system

indian9990

Regarding the diminished resale value - according to the AMA (here), it's illegal to modify your muffler (presumably this would include the rest of the exhaust) to make it louder:
Muffler required. Not modified to amplify or increase noise above that emitted by muffler originally installed.
Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 12-602​

If you sold the bike and the new owner needed have it inspected, he or she might be screwed (this page implies an inspection is required). Maybe that's why so many people put the original exhaust back on their bikes when they sell them?

That's why I decided to keep my stock instead of throwing it up on eBay or craigslist lol. I'm thinking I'll just put the stock on if/before I sell it.

fz6rboss

You're right. I also have a DIY kit that I put together late last year and they have been selling like cup cake! Like 5 DIY kit for 1 regular exhaust mod! Save on cost and shipping... best deal out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
ive seen your diy kit but i only seen it with the slip on... any way i can just purchase the adapter without the slip on?