exhaust mod?

auniquesoul

so..i sold my stock exhaust to someone on this board, shipped out it, and now they claim i modified the exhaust. The person (will omit their name for now) claims I am trying to get over on him. I bought my bike from a dealer, still has full warranty on the bike. The buyer of the exhaust claims I took a screwdriver and and hammer and put a hole in the exhaust to make it louder.

I have had my bike since March, the bike was extrememly quiet, couldnt tell the bike was even running with the stock eshaust on it. I did nothing to the exhaust expect take it off and put on my TBR.

The buyer wont send me a photo of what he is saying I did to it, however he logged a dispute with paypal, saying the item was not as described.

Someone tell me how you can tell by looking at an exhaust if it has been modified? If while on the bike the exhaust is super quiet?

Help!

bmw675

that way of modifying the stock exhaust was discussed on here. some have done it. Not saying you did it, or the buyer doing it and now regretting it, just saying that that idea has been mentioned on here.

You said you bought it from the dealer, was it new or used when you did so? if it was used maybe the previous owner did it.

:don'tknow:

cavcuz05

Just sold mine to a guy on here...can you PM me his screen name to see if ill be having the same problem later next week...seein as its supposed to be there today

CDN6R

God this kind of sucks,,, you say the bike had full warranty which leads me to believe that it was new,new,new.

auniquesoul

Yes, I still have a full warranty on my bike. I bought the bike used, from a dealer, but the bike was in perfect condition.

can someone tell me how I can tell if the exhaust is modded or is actually stock? any pics would help!...

CDN6R

Most people who want to mod their stock exhaust (easily) will have a hole drilled,say 1/2 inch at the most straight in where the exhaust smoke comes out. If you take a screw driver (a long one) and go straight in parallel with the sides of the exhaust opening you will "hit" a spot where the screw driver will no longer go in. That is the area that some people will either whack with a big hammer and a screw driver or using a punch whack the punch,leaving a dimple,THEN drilling out a 3/8 to 1/2inch hole. This results in making the exhaust a bit louder. Perhaps this was done to your used bike without your knowledge?

Attachments

Michael Wilson

Very interesting.... Sorry to say but I don't think you will be able to prove if it was or wasn't modified before you sent it. Not sure what to tell you dude. Possibly ask for the exhaust back and you will issue a refund. Then if it IS modified just sell it again but make sure to list it's modified. Thats about the best adivce I can give you

auniquesoul

issue resolved....dude never sent it back to me, i own the battle...this issue was ugly. ill never sell out of state again

Spitfire

as far as I'm concerned, the hole in the exhaust doesn't hurt anything. I don't think anyone ever tested before/after with a dyno but from the majority of people's opinions, it won't hurt a thing. I did the mod to my exhaust... I can't see dishing out $1000+ on an exhaust. Anyways, I'm glad you got everything resolved. I had a similar problem selling something via paypal to an unknown party and I lost the battle. I HATE selling stuff online.

CDN6R

Yes Spitfire,,I hate selling on line too. it is just to impersonal and I find you get rediculous questions ( I will trade you my Camel for it plus $$) or Low Ball offers... Yes WHITEFOZZY I did use your pic,,my exhaust is bone stock. If by using your pic I offended you I am sorry,,I just wanted to show an example.;)

WHITEFOZZY

Yes Spitfire,,I hate selling on line too. it is just to impersonal and I find you get rediculous questions ( I will trade you my Camel for it plus $$) or Low Ball offers... Yes WHITEFOZZY I did use your pic,,my exhaust is bone stock. If by using your pic I offended you I am sorry,,I just wanted to show an example.;)
haha no way man didnt offend me at all!! im happy it was useful! thats why i post pics so they can get used!!

and i hate buying/selling online still too... i hope everything is resolved and good now!