Exhaust chop can be done!?!?

DocFZ

I personally think this looks horrendous and doesnt belong on a bike. but the bigger thing is this is a stock exhaust header, and they cut megatron off and put this stupid little thing on. It seems this can be done? We need someone with a stock exhaust lying around to cut it for us to see. I personally wouldn't mind throwing a small yoshi slip on onto my bike, and cant afford the tbr. Anyone? :confused:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTWFzMKsCE"]YouTube- ‪Yamaha fz6r exhaust pipe‬‎[/ame]

Y

yellowfz

Yep it can be done , the stock setup has the CAT in the tube 3" and can be cut at the weld just before the stock exhaust chamber .
I posted pictures of the exhaust chamber but it seems they got removed , why I don't know , so I am not wasting my time posting them again .

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yep it can be done , the stock setup has the CAT in the tube 3" and can be cut at the weld just before the stock exhaust chamber .
I posted pictures of the exhaust chamber but it seems they got removed , why I don't know , so I am not wasting my time posting them again .
They probably were not deliberately removed. It's likely they were lost in the most recent update that experienced a glitch that wiped out posts and threads from the entire day of the upgrade. Post 'em up anyway.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DocFZ

I had pics taken down too. They were trying to do an update late one night and the stuff got deleted somehow. It'd be awesome if you could post em again. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE lol :bow:

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

Yea I saw the pics and posted a comment in the thread. I think the thread did accidentally get removed during problems with the site. No foul play involved. Post them again because I'm sure a lot of people are curious as to what the inside of the cat looks like and you're the only one who has cut one open.

Y

yellowfz

Okay , here they are again , will get better shots of the CAT seeing I have the whole thing laying in the shop floor , I built my own exhaust tip .
Did not know the site had problems , must be what happened , I did see your comment on the post .
Just thought I had done something wrong and they just took them down to be asinine .
Like I said in the original post , there are 3 chambers to the exhaust cycle , it starts with the 2nd chamber goes to the 3rd then back to the 1st where the exhaust exits through the snake looking tube , the one people punch holes through with screwdrivers .

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

stevet

Were you able to salvage the catalytic converter with this mod? Emission controls are not something I'd sacrifice. A little noise pollution mabe but we should all do our part to help with lowering air pollution. The engineers that designed these bikes made the whole system work together really well. I learned a lot about bikes by graduating from a motorcycle institute and several years of training when I worked in bike shops as a technician and service manager when I was young.

Y

yellowfz

Were you able to salvage the catalytic converter with this mod? Emission controls are not something I'd sacrifice. A little noise pollution mabe but we should all do our part to help with lowering air pollution. The engineers that designed these bikes made the whole system work together really well. I learned a lot about bikes by graduating from a motorcycle institute and several years of training when I worked in bike shops as a technician and service manager when I was young.
You can if you so wish to .
Great! So you are saying the exit out of the headers part is 3". How far forward can you cut the exhaust? I was thinking cutting mine at the 3" dia. weld where the primary collect all together. Weld a reducer to something around 2" and install a short slip on.

Thanks again for your pics. They are very helpful. And one more thing... WTF were they thinking??? Honestly!!!
Yeah you can use a reducer and connect right after the 4/2/1 collector , you can see by the picture I will post below , that the collector has a small flange that inserts into the exhaust chamber , the CAT is still held in place by the other end in the second chamber , you could cut the CAT loose and connect to the end of it with reducer if so desired , but I just removed the CAT and connected to the collector at the 4/2/1 junction .
Yeah really , emissions are a PITA :banghead:, thank God there is no O2 sensor yet .
The hole in the center of the CAT I made trying to see if it could be pierced , was not able to .
Hope all this helps !

Last edited by a moderator:

Quietwhisper

Stevet, are you the guy from that double rainbow youtube video? lol just jokin' :D

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Quietwhisper

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpwjOfCfHaw]YouTube - ‪FZ6-R With R6 Headers Setup‬‎[/ame]

I still think doing that ^^^^ is the way im going to go.

DocFZ

I still think doing that ^^^^ is the way im going to go.[/QUOTE]

That looks like a nice setup but in my opinion the bike looks better with the midship exhaust. Just my input. Sounds like there's no piower commander and no packing in that muffler, But otherwise sounds pretty nice

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

That looks like a nice setup but in my opinion the bike looks better with the midship exhaust. Just my input. Sounds like there's no piower commander and no packing in that muffler, But otherwise sounds pretty nice
I agree with you. I want to keep the can underneath. But it sound really good! What is the inside diameter of this exhaust? Just wondering...[/QUOTE]

The CAT is about 3" , the tube that goes from the second chamber to the third is 1 1/2" , the one that goes from the third chamber to the first chamber is one inch , and the one that runs from the third chamber outside is one inch as well.

jcbrown630

Excellent. I'm glad i found this post with the pics. I'm doing mine tonight and needed to see those cutaways! I'm going with cutting the CAT material out of the 3" section and keeping the muffy the way it is, and mig'n that back onto the collector. Next will be the R6 header hybrid'd to the stock pipe sans converter. Will post lots of pics when i get done.