Ever ride an R1 or R6

arcflash316

has anyone on this forum rode an R1 or R6? I am wondering because my wife may be taking over my 6R at some point and was considering getting an R1 or R6..... What are the differences between the 6R and R6 besides the obvious, like power, ergonomics, seating and foot and hand positions for comfort and being able to withstand a long ride without killing your back and neck... I've heard things about the riding position of the R1/R6 being very uncomfortable for any long duration. I know the R1 will definitely have a lot more power. A co-worker of mine has an '07 R1 and says its tough to go more than a few miles without a back-ache and the undertail exhaust gets really hot along the frame (especially for the passenger).... maybe I can talk him into trading me bikes for a short ride and get a feel for it myself? gimme some input if you can

Thanks

cbzdel

you have freids telling you its painful to ride yet you still want one haha!

the best thing to do is really ride one yourself.. personally since I commute, I could not do it, I would be looking at an FZ1 if the FZ6R was not cutting it..

You could always wait until next year and see if there is any new models such as a FZ1r :)

Stricken

Try the cbr600RR or the suzuki gsxr 600. They are the most comfortable supersports that I have sat on.

Craxican

also...remember that you have the option of swapping/modding suspension and risers and what not...i saw a hyabusa that had the back lowered and the front raised slightly and handle bar risers...the guy looked like he was on a cruiser until i pulled up next to him:eek:

PAJeep

They are all comfy for about 45 minutes of riding before it gets to be a pain in the back and arms. Had two different GSXR600's over a 5 year span and although commuting to work was okay anything more than that became a hastle. As for the R6, I rode a 05 a few times and shifting felt very clunky to me but then again I was used to the very smooth gixxer at the time. On a side note after riding the bigger 600's for years I do not find myself disappointed at all with the power of the FZ6R and perfectly content with its ride and comfort. Temptations to do stupid things is a little less too.

arcflash316

thanks for the feed back.... I know it sounds funny to still be considering getting something thats uncomfortable to ride, I am just wondering if all the rumors are true or not.... still gonna ask my friend to ride his, seems like the only way to find out for myself... My dad has an '02 FZ1 and loves it. I have been leaning towards that too, but everytime I see an R1 or R6 I just love the style and kinda envy those guys, but I am not saying I don't love my 6R, cause I do, but my wife really wants to gety a bike and I thought she could take over this and I could get something with a bit more power, just don't wanna have to have a chiropractic adjustment after every ride:D

fstrthan_uthink

You can always throw a fairing on the FZ1. I like that bike a lot actually, and the engine sounds amazing.

Oh yea, I owned a CBR600RR almost 4 years ago. VERY fast, and not bad but not the most comfortable either.

I sat on an R6 while I was waiting to get my rim stripes done. The seat height is intense. Very aggressive position for the street. I also sat on a Ninja ZX-6R and actually found it more comfortable than the R6.

Either way, any brand new supersport bike (like R6 or R1) is a LOT of bike for the street. These things wanna dip around a track at 160mph, they just happen to have street equipment.

I love my FZ6R though. :)

Last edited:

Crystal

I've ridden both....R6 feels like you are sitting on top of the bike versus the R1 which feels like you are part of it. I personally would like to bump to an R1 one day and would never get near the R6. My boyfriend has the 09 and it is an amazing machine. He has taken it on 300 mile rides and the only complaint he had was on the seat...which was quickly fixed by purchasing the comfort seat. Its just a different bike then what we have. If you want a cruiser type stick with the FZ...the R1 is just a bike from a different world, but IMO a worthwhile purchase.