Ethanol is killing my gas mileage

CtrlAltDl

We have up to 10% ethanol in our gas here in WA state in the winter and it just kills my gas mileage.

I seem to average about 44 MPG in the summer and 38 in the winter.

My Commuter (Yamaha FZ6R) | Fuelly

Don't the idiots in the other Washington know that Ethanol is for drinking not for fuel!!!
:iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer:

Gilbuddy

I got my FZ6R in October 2011 and have averaged ~35mpg from day one. I've been replacing filters, syncing throttle bodies... basically everything I could think of to try and improve my mileage. Hopefully it is just the same issue and I don't have something wrong with my bike.

DragonBlu

I got my FZ6R in October 2011 and have averaged ~35mpg from day one. I've been replacing filters, syncing throttle bodies... basically everything I could think of to try and improve my mileage. Hopefully it is just the same issue and I don't have something wrong with my bike.
Are you doing a lot of stoplight to stoplight riding or is it a lot more freeway? Just curious.

DragonBlu

We have up to 10% ethanol in our gas here in WA state in the winter and it just kills my gas mileage.

I seem to average about 44 MPG in the summer and 38 in the winter.

My Commuter (Yamaha FZ6R) | Fuelly

Don't the idiots in the other Washington know that Ethanol is for drinking not for fuel!!!
:iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer:
I have noticed mine drops in the winter also. 70 miles round trip to work everyday in my cage for the last 17 years. We also have the 10% here.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

If it is all city driving then that would sound about right.

Or if your keeping it in the lower gears for a little too long. Which by the way is a lot more fun! :D

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Gilbuddy

My daily commute is ~12 miles each way, mostly city traffic with a few miles of highway. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of stop-n-go, stretches where traffic rolls at 5mph as it queues up at on-ramps, and long lines at lights during rush-hour. I make up for it with spirited riding in between.

I guess maybe 35 mpg doesn't sound as bad anymore. :rolleyes:

Hellgate

What kills your mileage is cold weather start ups that require the cold idle circuit to be on longer.

CtrlAltDl

What kills your mileage is cold weather start ups that require the cold idle circuit to be on longer.
My motorcycle is always in a non-insulated garage, so that could certainly account for some of it.

anson650

Ethanol in gas not only ruined my gas milage, but partially digested the glue in my aftermarket fuel filter clogging the floats on the FJ. Cost me $XXX. and the end of the riding season came too soon. On the advice of a trusted mechanic I use Startron in EVERY tank. I use Sta-Bil in the others.
Idiot politicians...
Anson

BKP

Excellent article (inside cover) of this month's Motorcycle Consumer News (September Issue) on ethanol.

Dave Searle goes into graphic detail on the negative effects of ethanol... how it's made, how it compromises gasoline, how fragile it is in terms of absorbing water, how bad it can be for entire fuel systems... and one eye-opener is how many "10% ethanol" gasoline products actually have a much greater percentage of ethanol... and, there are testing kits available for about $25 that can confirm that for you, if you find you're having fuel line issues, corrosion, etc...

Check it out... good read...

BKP

And I live in a state that's not even listed on the ethanol-free site. In fact, I think ethanol is mandated in our gasoline. :mad: