Engine turns off with kickstand down

MNDZA

This is my first bike so it's new to me, but if the kickstand is down and you put the bike in gear, it shuts off the engine. Do most modern bikes have this feature?

C

CHEMIKER

Yep.

One time after a crash I had a heck of a time getting going. Every time I put it in gear the engine would die and I thought the bike had more damage than it seemed. Cali Rider pointed out that my kickstand was down. Lifted it and problem solved. Guess I was still a little more shaken than I thought.

I don't know why they put that feature on bikes. Safety I assume?

N

Nick J

You ever try to take a left hand turn with your kick stand down? no fun. It's a safety thing.

S

Se7enLC

I usually notice it at gas stations when I'm ready to go and the starter button doesn't do anything. With the starter button still pressed, I kick the kickstand up to start it :)

Same thing in my jeep - clutch has to be in to start, so I can effectively turn the key, then start it using my left foot

R

Raid The Revenge

I think MANY people take the auto-shutoff for granted. Trust me, there was a time (possibly still around) when bikes DID NOT shutoff when the kickstand was down.

The sound of a dragging kickstand is HORRIBLE.

K

keira

Yeah, I think that feature is pretty standard now. It took me by surprise n my new bike, because my old one didn't have it. Once you're used to it, it isn't so bad.

C

CravenMoorhead

Not universal yet. 2009 Harley I demo'ed last week started out in gear with the stand down just as I noticed without mishap...

F

fizz_off

Try it with the transmission in neutral...should work. I think if you read your owner's manual you'll see it in there...at least it was in the owner's manual that came with my 2008 FZ6 (yeah, I know...this is a fz6*R* forum...blah blah blah :) ).

R

rdoucet

If the bike is in neutral and the kickstand down, the bike will stay running; if you have the bike in gear and the kickstand down, the bike will shut down; if you have the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in and the kickstand down, the bike will shut down. This is a safety feature on the bike and it is meant not only to prevent the rider from riding with the kickstand down, but to prevent the bike from being launched forward if the bike is in gear and the stand is down.

I am sure you can override the safety on the kickstand but I would not do it at all nor recommend it!!

S

sjryser

One time my friend invited me to go riding. I got there and he said we had a problem. His battery was totally dead. He had been charging it for an hour or so, had called his mechanic to ask where the fuses were and even had went to the shop and purchased a new battery! When I got there I asked him if it mattered on his bike(08 Susuki Bandit) if the kickstand was down when he started it. He said only if its in...(glancing at his dash) f*^&ING GEAR!

It was in gear.

I laughed and laughed, told his mechanic friend and we laughed and laughed.

He didn't.

(He's been riding for over 8 years!)

Verranth

Oouch... thats a costly way to remind yourself. Luckily, the 6r doesnt even take any battery juice since it wont even start when the kickstand is down and its in gear =)