Engine Temperature Instrument Reading

C

CravenMoorhead

At what temp. does your bike cruise at a constant speed, say 50 to 60mph? I realize there are a number of variables but I'd like to get a sample/sense of it.

It is about 85 degree's here during the day when I ride and my cluster indicates 194 degrees on average.

My bike will go up to 226 degrees when I park the bike after a ride and shut off the engine. I usually let the fan run for a minute until I see the temp start to fall. I wonder if that is necessary?

W

wolfc70

At what temp. does your bike cruise at a constant speed, say 50 to 60mph? I realize there are a number of variables but I'd like to get a sample/sense of it.

It is about 85 degree's here during the day when I ride and my cluster indicates 194 degrees on average.

My bike will go up to 226 degrees when I park the bike after a ride and shut off the engine. I usually let the fan run for a minute until I see the temp start to fall. I wonder if that is necessary?
I would just shut the bike off, unless you were chasing the redline just prior to stopping, then a thirty second to one minute cool down may help.

I see anywhere from 165 to 230 on the temps. In cool weather in the highway, it will read 165-175. On a 100 degree day sitting in traffic it will be in the upper 220's to 230. Mine has never gone over 230 degrees.

04fizzer

Just shut it off and quit worrying. The parts aren't moving, so it won't damage a thing.

fstrthan_uthink

Nope, not necessary unless (like wolfc70 mentioned) you're running the bike hard just before shutoff. My temps are basically the same as you guys'. I do let the bike get past LO on the temp display and read 104 or so before I take off when I first start the bike. Though, the book says you can basically just start it and go.

fz6rwolf

Temps highway anywhere from 170-195, in traffic highest has been around 220.

phantomxc

I thought I read in the manual if it goes above 225 or something you should pull off to the side and let it cool down. Also has anyone noticed the bike will not start if its above 212? At least this is how mine seems to react. I didn't find anything in the manual about it.

C

CravenMoorhead

I'll try to shut off and restart my bike when it's over 212, as I have not noticed that...

C

CravenMoorhead

I thought I read in the manual if it goes above 225 or something you should pull off to the side and let it cool down. Also has anyone noticed the bike will not start if its above 212? At least this is how mine seems to react. I didn't find anything in the manual about it.

Nope. Mine starts when above 212. Started today at 218.

Got 46.5mpg by the way.