engine temp gets up to 212 almost ever time I ride

nsa320

Should be fine I usually peak at ~205 if I'm riding slow with minimal airflow. Once I pick up speed it drops to like ~195.

Assuming your radiator cooling fan stays on after you shut down the bike

abyss1406

sounds about right anything over 225 is when you should worry. you could always flush the coolant and get you some Engine Ice. stuff works amazingly

yillbs

Is that a normal temperature or should I start worrying?
This is happening because you're driving it like you stole it on every road you go on. You're dropping down to 3rd gear everytime you go around a curve, then you gun it when you come out. You over break, then over speed because it's fun.

hit longer straights, and watch the temp come down :)

:wav:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

adamo3957

This is happening because you're driving it like you stole it on every road you go on. You're dropping down to 3rd gear everytime you go around a curve, then you gun it when you come out. You over break, then over speed because it's fun.

hit longer straights, and watch the temp come down :)

:wav:
City commutes, idling at lights etc also do this...

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Azzkicker1994

thanks for the info

My tires are pretty bald so I haven't been hot rodding. And I shift at 5k rpms. I also never let my engine slow me down, I break before turns downshift and throttle out

latony007

i was thinking you drive it like you stole it too :) mine usually runs around 190 on average cruising i think. I know my fan rarely goes on (which it does around 210) unless its a really hot day and i have just arrived home and shut it off. But if these other guys say its ok i wouldnt worry about it too much.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Really? Known quite a few hotter bikes myself.

Even on a hot summers day flat out screaming the temp goes down not up...
The thermostat, fan and ECU will prevent any damage. Earlier this season i had an overheat and the engine shut off on me because there was debris in the fan causing a wedge.

Dont look at the temp when the engine is off. Without coolant circulating, you cannot get an accurate temp on the engine. All you will see is the remaining heat soak from the metal leaking to the outside to cool. Thats why ive seen as high at 223F on mine after a long ride. "Stolen" or not!

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

latony007

The 50MPG I get is city only miles. I so rarely take the highway that I haven't been able to calculate my mileage from that. But of course when I am on the highway I'm in 6th going 7k+ as well.

I also avoid cursing at higher RPMs because of the vibrations. As soon as I get above 5,500 the vibrations get noticeably worse. It should be noted however that I have made many mods to my bike including clip-on handlebars and new foot pegs without the rubber padding. So I notice vibrations more than someone with a stock bike.
i heard the opposite as well, that when you stay around 7k you get better mileage. I only ride on the weekends so i never really cared what kind of milage i get. id say i normally shift around the 6k mark. If your running at freeway speed (75-80 around here) its going to be at 7k cruising so id say thats safe.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

latony007

i appreciate all the replies. though the freeway speeds/rpms are not what i am concerned about. it's about my original post on whether or not cruising around 4,500 rpm and shifting around 5,500 is bad for the engine long term or puts myself in a bad situation for reaction time/control of bike when an incident occurs on the road.
No, it will not harm the engine :)