Engine Ice vs Regular coolant?

tho9504

Hello,
I was planning on doing a coolant change and i am hearing Engine ice lowers the temp better than the standard coolant. My engine tends to run a little hot +200F because i do a lot of stop and go riding through traffic.

Has anyone used Engine ice before as coolant? Is there any drawbacks?

Chucker

I use Water Wetter mixed into distilled water all summer. I never have a heat issue, even at the track flogging the crap out of her.

The downside is it's not anti-freeze, so I have to change back to anti-freeze before winter hits.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

xorbe

Isn't the temp controlled by ecu + fan regardless of coolant type?

Water Wetter ... that sounds like a drop of liquid dish soap.

Last edited:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

tho9504

My only hesitant right now to switch over to engine ice is how often i need to change it. per their website, they are saying atleast once a year. I know the normal coolants you don't need to change as often.

Per Engine Ice FAQ:

"How often do I need to change it and are there any special requirements?
A: Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year. For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year. The cleaner you can keep your cooling system and the fresher you can keep a fluid, the better it will perform. There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice. For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store."

Chucker

Sounds to me like they're suggesting changing any coolant annually. I would only change it annually if I was putting on lots of miles or doing quite a few track days.

Having said that, changing it is easy and doesn't take long. I drain the engine and siphon out the overflow. Siphoning the overflow saves a lot of time because you don't have to remove the tank.

I use Engine Ice, and definitely notice lower temps on average. The highest I've seen it go is 214 degrees idling for long periods of time in traffic on an 85 degree day. And even then it starts dropping as soon as the fan kicks on. Most of the time it's around 180-185 degrees or lower, depending on my speed and ambient temperature.

Only downside is that it is very expensive, and I believe the total capacity was just a bit more than 1 jug, so I had to get 2 jugs for the few extra ounces I needed.

I didn't know about the 1 year recommended change, so I was going by the Yamaha 2 year recommended duration. I guess I should consider changing it again soon.

tho9504

Just changed my coolant with Engine Ice last night. It was really easy to do... I took the bike to my work today. Noticed the temperature a bit lower while moving. (180 - 190 F). Where as before it was 180 - 200 F. But the temp still goes up during stop and go traffic. On an 80F day during stop and go, my temperature goes up 215 while stopped but soon as start moving it goes below 200. I did notice when i got to work (stop and go traffic in 70F weather), my gauge read 220F even with Engine Ice and fan was on but it only happens when the bike is idling after a stop and go traffic ride as before with standard coolant.
I am going to stop worrying about it. i am hoping the 220F is normal for our bikes and there is nothing i could do about it. The manual states up to 242F, it's all good.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Just changed my coolant with Engine Ice last night. It was really easy to do... I took the bike to my work today. Noticed the temperature a bit lower while moving. (180 - 190 F). Where as before it was 180 - 200 F. But the temp still goes up during stop and go traffic. On an 80F day during stop and go, my temperature goes up 215 while stopped but soon as start moving it goes below 200. I did notice when i got to work (stop and go traffic in 70F weather), my gauge read 220F even with Engine Ice and fan was on but it only happens when the bike is idling after a stop and go traffic ride as before with standard coolant.
I am going to stop worrying about it. i am hoping the 220F is normal for our bikes and there is nothing i could do about it. The manual states up to 242F, it's all good.
You'd need to change the thermostat for one with a lower opening temperature one for the full results. The cap was already rated to 120 C stock, so that's covered already. Basically the thermostat won't open until it's hot regardless of fluid. No doubt some have also tweaked the ECU to allow the fan to cut in at a lower high water mark too.

Rumpig

I've fitted a larger capacity aluminium radiator to try and lower temps and haven't seen a notable difference, I think they just like to run hot. If anyone knows a part number for a lower temp thermostat i'd like to know it.

Chucker

A lower temp thermostat won't make it run cooler. It just makes the coolant start to circulate at a lower temperature. The thermostat opens long before the engine hits normal operating temperatures. The only way to lower the operating temp is to figure out a way to remove heat from the coolant at a higher rate.

If you find your engine runs hot while you're at highway speeds, you have more air flowing through the rad than the fan would ever pull through. The fan kicking in at a lower temp will only help while stopped or travelling at very low speeds.

tractorboy

Use engine Ice too...and honostly I dont see any real difference. Still feel better knowing it what I have for the reasonable price. But Im using engine ice for last 5 years with no issues.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
No one has mentioned the anti-corrosion or anti-rust additives to conventional coolant....

For those of you not doing track days, I'd highly recommend you use an approved product. Its not the does you ride that are impacted. Its the time sitting there where chemical reaction takes place and now you need a new head gasket.

If you uses these products, change and flush the fluids often! Minimum is annually!

FWIW: lower the opening temperature of the T stat only increase engine wear by allowing the coolant to circulate before it reaches optimal operating temperatures.
As stated above, a lower opening T stat does not keep the engine cooler.

Another factor; if running a stock radiator cap and you are not boiling over (pushing water out into reservoir), chances are you are fine! Use the fluid recommend by the manufacturer. The one with the tuning forks! ;)

tractorboy

ive used Engine ice now for 2-3 years....have never changed it...id say it reacts the same as antifreeze and it heats up just like it would with reg coolant but does seem to COOL down a bit faster after fan turns on. Other than that I do see much difference with engine ice. Just my nickels worth ( inflation )