Engine cutting out

ragenalien

This just started today and I'm at a loss for where to start. I got caught out in the rain and shortly into it my engine started cutting out for half a second at a time. It never stopped me from driving but it jerks me around when it happens. When it happens the dash goes dark and RPM's drop off to zero. Again, just for half a second than it's back to cruising. Doesn't seem to make a difference what gear I'm in but it generally does it when I'm going faster. Does not happen at any speed if I hold the clutch.

I guess I'm wondering if I start with an electrical short or go straight for the engine. Any help is appreciated. The bike is a 2011 Yamaha FZ6R (obviously).

Rumpig

Sounds like water in the electrics. Being that it doesn't do it if you hold the clutch, i'd start with the switch on the stand that stops it from starting with the stand down and then the neutral switch and the clutch switch.

Last edited:

xorbe

Sounds like you're losing electrical power. Start with the battery connection. Check battery too -- my Ninja 250 dash goes wonko and the bike idles weird when the battery is going bad.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

ragenalien

Thanks for the replies. I finished up with the bike and it was definitely electrical. Took it apart and the battery leads were corrupt and looser than Lindsey Lohan looking for coke. Only had a chance for a short test drive as it decided to start snowing but it seems good now.