Engine braking ok?

MNDZA

Is it okay to slow down using engine braking? I do it all the time and was wondering if it will hurt anything. I still use a little brake just to make sure people behind me know I'm slowing down.

S

Shamus McFeeley

Engine braking is great when you use it in conjunction with your front/rear brakes. Remember that you have to use your better judgment though, you can't downshift immediately from 6th to 2nd without putting some serious strain on the drivetrain, especially the clutch. An ill times downshift when your RPMs are too high can end up "notching" the fingers of your clutch basket, and/or you risk damaging your shift drum. Also downshifting too quick can also cause your rear tire to skid.

MNDZA

Cool....I don't usually downshift, for now, but if I need to slow down, I'll usually just close the throttle and that's when the engine braking comes in.

S

scoobydrvr

A downshifting too quick can also cause your rear to skid.
+1

This is a trick used for drifting, it causes a sudden change in the speed of the tire relative to the road and unless you're in the throttle (or even if you are, depending on the gear, speed, etc) it will cause the tire to become quite agitated. I wouldn't skip more than one gear at the absolute most.

I also engine brake and believe that there's nothing wrong with it. Some car owner's manuals recommend it as well. Maybe I saw something in the one for the FZ...

Hellgate

No. Your motor will seize and blow tiny parts all over the road! :rolleyes:

Rule of thumb; motor makes it go forward, brakes make it stop.

C

CravenMoorhead

Engine braking is not good all or even most of the time particularly when it is instead of using the brakes.

Remember it is cheaper and easier to replace the front and rear brakes than it is to replace the transmission...

fz6rwolf

I've downshifted on all my bikes and cars that were manual to slow down. If cars are behind use the brake light also to let them know. I try not to downshift to 1st when slowing, just don't feel good, too jerky, but it's never hurt any engine.

G

GastonJ

Sorry I have to disagree engine braking is fine, it's normal procedure for both driving a car and riding a bike. I always change down and use engine braking as well as my brakes, that way if the unexpected happens I'm already in a gear that will get me out of there quickly.

This may be worth a read as to why:

Braking for Motorcyclists
`

fz6rwolf

+1:thumbup:

C

CravenMoorhead

Sorry I have to disagree engine braking is fine, it's normal procedure for both driving a car and riding a bike. I always change down and use engine braking as well as my brakes, that way if the unexpected happens I'm already in a gear that will get me out of there quickly.

This may be worth a read as to why:

`
Perhaps you ought to re-read your reference...

"But in general, I use the brakes for braking, and I use the engine to go."

I agree with this statement.

A

abacall

This topic comes up every month or so....
Everyone has their opinion, but to answer the original question, no it does not hurt anything if it is done normally.
Do not downshift into extreme rpms.
Do not downshift into 1st.
Use rev matching whenever possible to reduce clutch wear.

I personally think it's unsafe not to. Using the engine to slow you down keeps you in gear so you can make split second decisions if needed and keeps you in the power band. The whole "engine goes, brakes stop" theory is crap to me. Anytime you ride spirited you need to use the engine to control speed.

PVD_FZ6R

I personally think it's unsafe not to. Using the engine to slow you down keeps you in gear so you can make split second decisions if needed and keeps you in the power band.
Well said.

S

SovietRobot

Engine braking is not good all or even most of the time particularly when it is instead of using the brakes.

Remember it is cheaper and easier to replace the front and rear brakes than it is to replace the transmission...
I hear this a lot and it's typically from people who have no mechanical understanding at all(not saying you don't)

It's a bunch of BS. You're not putting any more strain on the engine or transmission then you are during normal acceleration.

If done properly with the clutch and rev matching with the throttle, downshifting and engine braking is perfectly fine and very effective.

C

CravenMoorhead

I hear this a lot and it's typically from people who have no mechanical understanding at all(not saying you don't)

It's a bunch of BS. You're not putting any more strain on the engine or transmission then you are during normal acceleration.

If done properly with the clutch and rev matching with the throttle, downshifting and engine braking is perfectly fine and very effective.
I'd put my money on GastonJ's reference who appears to be the expert in this specific case and he says:

"I'll just use engine braking so I'll stop even faster!

Everyone knows that just getting off the throttle will cause you to slow down. Anyone who's driven a vehicle with a manual transmission knows you can get a greater effect by downshifting first. But I didn't say anything about it in my emergency braking discussion because it isn't effective. Consider that engine braking works on the rear wheel. If you want more braking from the rear wheel, then just press on the rear brake pedal a little more. That's simpler, smoother, and more precise than pausing in your shifting to first gear (because you aren't going to be caught dead in second) and releasing the clutch. And simple, smooth, and precise are things you want in motorcycling.

I'm not going to tell you I never use engine braking. If I need to downshift for a turn, it may be true that just easing out the clutch will give me all the braking I need for the turn. But in general, I use the brakes for braking, and I use the engine to go. "

K

KensFz6

I'm not a mechanic. For me and my opinion, Engine braking just sounds and feels bad so I don't do it. I prefer to slow down very smoothly using the brakes for two reasons:

1. To alert cages behind me that we're stopping.
2. Because even downshifting at slow speed makes the engine groan under the new strain of not hitting it dead on in the right rpm range which just doesn't sound good.

When I stop, I pull the clutch, and brake with both brakes and downshift (without re-engaging the clutch) every few seconds until second gear then I flip to N when I'm almost stopped, or 1 if I anticipate needing to move or not actually fully stop.

I've been told by some, however, that my type of riding may wear out the clutch/ clutch cable faster.

Y

youngGun

This is absolutely absurd! Engine breaking is perfectly fine! I down shift and let the clutch out to use engine breaking EVERY time i stop. I match RPM when doing so as well.

"the brakes are for stopping, and the engine is for go" I had never heard this until now and i think its a pretty dumb statement, you put no more stress on the engine and tranny engine braking than you would when accelerating hard.

B

Burnspot

Engine braking is perfectly fine and won't hurt the motor unless you're dropping into a gear way lower than what your speed calls for. I used to drive semi's for a living and if you didn't have a Jake brake (an engine brake in itself), you sure as hell relied on engine braking for what it was worth when hitting a 6% grade (generally not much when you're hauling 45k of paper rolls).

It ISN'T effective for emergency stops unless your emergency gives you enough time to roll through the gears, but it's great for moderate decelerations while coming to stop lights, for example. I generally make sure I'm using a little brake at the same time so that I have an illuminated brake light warning those behind me. There's nothing worse than attempting to resume travel or quickly get out of the way while you're slow and in 6th gear...if you're complementing normal braking with engine braking, you'll be set to resume in the right gear.

J

jazzpaintball

If i know the FZ6/R6 motor well enough (probably not, lol), that engine breaking creates a vacuum withing the cylinder causing oil go come up from the bottom and help lubricate and cool the cylinders. This vacuum creates a heat up and cool down of the motor and is a vital part of the engine break in break-in process.

You have to engine break at some point. Just rolling off the throttle causes the engine to brake. downshifting will put extra strain upon the motor, but how much more than redlining the engine in 1st or 2nd gear. The only way you can really harm the engine during engine braking is by over revving the engine.

IMO: While engine braking, just make sure that the RPM's do not go over 10k, and blip the throttle so that you do not put unnecessary strain upon the clutch, then everything should be good.