End of the FZ6R in Australia

brente1982

So i was at Yamaha dealer yesterday, and while they had no FZ6R's there, they did have an XJ6 which was nice. After talking to the guy there (who in my limited opinion sounded like he didnt have great knowledge on a bikes statistics performance wise) he mentioned that the current model of the FZ6R would be the last one and that some new model would be coming out.

Could it be a new XJ6F???

FastFreddy

Good question, I suppose we'll know in a few months time.

Is it a new triple or is it a 600cc 4 ?

I had a feeling this was coming soon, because I saw the brand new price drop to $9.9K recently.

My guess is they've kept the 600 4 to stay under the 660cc learner limit in Australia. Errr... but that wouldn't make sense to develop a new model with similar spec unless they've found a way to drop a heap of weight and keep the price the same, so it'd have to be a new sub 660cc triple.

FastFreddy

They did say they were looking to a range of triples.

They are going to need something to fit the learner market (<660cc), I don't think they'd just drop the segment unless they thought they could make it up in other segments.

Where's the faired versions of the new triples ?

Why not work on pneumatic valved, traction controlled, electronic suspension, model with lots of special coatings that's cheap immediately and dominate the competition ? I'm not buying it that its expensive technology, there's shitloads of sensors and electronics on the average car these days, its not hard to make from a technology point of view, from a screwing the consumer for maximum dollar point of view, that's different.

VRIIClubby

I had a feeling this was coming soon, because I saw the brand new price drop to $9.9K recently.
Mine was cheaper than that on road in July...

Is there many getting around Sydney? I spotted one exactly samer as mine in Windsor when I was up in Sydney a few weeks ago, seems most L's go the Kwaka or GS, starting to see a few CB500's. Did they actually sell that well here, or are they to highly priced for the learner market...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

ok i finally found where i saw the pic of the "coming soon" bike

Learner Licensing | Yamaha Motor Australia

in the banner at the top, the xj6f with coming soon pasted over the top of it.
ofcourse i dont know how old that banner/ad is.
what I find annoying as hell is that in AU you guys can buy the WR450F with a full street legal kit already on it. Here in the US we have to buy the blinkers and tail lights separate and put them on ourselves. I want to be able to go into the dealer and just get one that's already done.

I wouldn't doubt if the stator on the bikes here are crappier as well....

FastFreddy

Once the new Honda CBR250 and Kawka 300 came out, the FZ6R sales would have suffered as those bikes are so much cheaper. For the older, larger learner rider, they probably don't mind paying more to have a better bike regardless.

For the bike to sell well, the ideal bike for the learner segment would be bang on the maximum power to weight with humongous torque, should be able to get in the 195kg zone and not too pricey and a long term keeper.

If I was a learner again and less than 85 kg (I'm 90-100), it'd be tempting to get a cheaper CBR250, then upgrade once you have the full licence. The forks and bike in general look to skinny on the CBR250 for a bigger bloke.

My prime consideration though was to make sure the bike had a good front end grip when learning. It has to handle well for safety.

brente1982

Ive asked a few dealers the same question, and that was "which size bike is generally selling the most these days for learners?" and all of them basically said the bigger capacity restricted bikes ie. 500cc+ were outselling the smaller 250-300cc bikes easily and the market had changed.

Yeh i noticed a spike in smaller bikes on the roads when the new cbr and kawa came out but they dont appear to be as prominent on the road anymore.