Empty the gas tank!

I'm going to be shiping my bike on Monday! In order to ship it I was told that the tank has to be completely empty!? Does it damage the bike any to just run it until it is completely dry!? Or does anybody else have any other methods to empty it.......besides syphoning! Thanks!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

husker525

Just remove the tank, and loosen a couple of the Allen head bolts that hold the fuel pump assembly on the bottom of the tank. All the fuel will drain right out. Or siphon it, which takes forever depending on the siphon pump you use.

check with the winter storage threads, but basically run it dry... fog it.
What about any other fluids? Oil, antifreeze, what about the battery?
All they said needed to be done was the fuel needed to be empty and the battery needed to be disconected.....easy enough!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I would not run the tank dry. You don't want to get any particulates in the fuel lines and then let it sit for however long before using them again. I would drain or siphon the fuel out.

ramflyer1899

I would not run the tank dry. You don't want to get any particulates in the fuel lines and then let it sit for however long before using them again. I would drain or siphon the fuel out.
They don't want any fuel in the fuel lines either. When I shipped they said not more than 3ml in the lines which is nothing.

Then when the bike got picked up they just asked if I did what they said and did not even check it out. Took my word for it.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
They don't want any fuel in the fuel lines either. When I shipped they said not more than 3ml in the lines which is nothing.

Then when the bike got picked up they just asked if I did what they said and did not even check it out. Took my word for it.
Wow! That's pretty interesting. I guess you run it dry and hope that the places where you fill up have clean fuel supplies. :don'tknow:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
unless he's pushing it to a pump, first time filling up will probably be from a container...

so you raise a great point in that he may want to take extra precautions to make sure the first fill is as clean a gas as possible.
Well at least this will be the last time I ship the bike! Once I get stationed back on the mainland I will drive to my next duty station! I just hope they don't screw my bike up in this whole process!