DYNO Tune must do.

joloy133

Hello everyone. Just came back from getting a baseline Dyno run to know exactly how my bike is running. (Just to recap, I decided to alter the stock exhaust based on what I've read, learned from other riders, tuners, etc. Also didn,t want to mess with the stock engineering factors for this type bike.) I compared my results with stock values obtained by Rider Mag in a road test article. Stock Values: Max HP=65.9 @ 9800 rpm, Max Torque=39.1 @ 8300 rpm. After exhaust mod: HP=75 @ 10400 rpm, Max torque= 40 @ 9000 rpm.

These are modest improvements but I needed to know if I improved anything other than sound and if I made anything worse? I did find out that my bike runs lean to about 7000 rpms, which I understand to be common. (Also exhaust mods like mine can produce dips in the power curve if U FU, but I didn't.) Anyway a PC would help me along with dyno mapping directly.

If you can get to Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, CA, find JTS Performance, 707-996-6103. These guys get bikes from everywhere, even Australia, and Jim has done 218 mph on his modified Buell at Bonneville. Very knowledgeable, addicted to performance, connected, and initial baseline runs are free!

Once I get this dialed in, I will do some suspension mods set up for my riding preferences. Just love to ride......U Know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

S

Smittyboy

65?!? I'm way out in left field about that number... That much gets lost from the 90 or so from the crank? I think I'm missing something. How'd you gain 10 horses on stock exhaust mod? Sounds like a good gain for practically free. IDK...

J

jtarkany

65?!? I'm way out in left field about that number... That much gets lost from the 90 or so from the crank? I think I'm missing something. How'd you gain 10 horses on stock exhaust mod? Sounds like a good gain for practically free. IDK...
It's an FZ6R

S

Smittyboy

Sry... Still getn used to having to look. Still not a bad gain from exhaust mod'ing alone...

reiobard

awesome increase in the HP. I am hoping to get similar results when i get mine re-dyno'd.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I wish there were somewhere nearby to get mine dyno'ed after the TBR exhaust install. :(

It would be nice to see what actual gains we get.

S

Smittyboy

I still wanna know what he changed or did to make that much more bang... 10hp would be worth a buck or two...

W

Wildcard

You gotta realize that the stock dyno was one he quoted from a mag. Could be a different dyno/weather/ lots of things can vary. I wish he would have dynoed before he modded his own exhaust then you could see the actual gains.

joloy133

Everyone: Wildcard is correct. Figures I quoted were from the magazines people on that day, etc. I was just making sure I didn't make it worse, etc. Take note that any effective mod would seem to benefit from remapping. The aftermarket exhaust guys say its not necessary but...........dyno don't lie! I knew Jim before he started the business, so he showed me the whole process in detail. (Cost of the dyno and software over 30Gs) Also the power commander gives him the most control when he sets a bike up, every gear and rpm range on his screen, his direct inputs.

MNDZA

According to TBR, dynoing the bike with a carbon fiber or titanium can would generate too much heat and damage the can so watch out if you got one.

fz6rwolf

The 6 or so HP gain from full exhaust sounds about right, modding stock with 10 HP gain sounds bit of a reach, I'd say 3-4 HP more like it.

N

nccoder

I still wanna know what he changed or did to make that much more bang... 10hp would be worth a buck or two...
Could it be that that motor which is a 600cc or close to the same displacement as the FZ6 motor will show greater gains because you are allowing an engine capable of much higher H.P. to breath. It does come from a family of 98 BHP at the crank. His engine even starts to show it's peak H.P. in a different place. When my bike was dyno'd there were gaps as much as 12 H.P. on that chart. Not where the peak H.P. was but still that's a jump. Much better everywhere I want acceleration now. Killed those flat spots and gave me more low RPM grunt. Maybe because the engine starts at 65+ H.P. it's easier to see a gain of 10 H.P.

It could happen!?!

W

Wildcard

According to TBR, dynoing the bike with a carbon fiber or titanium can would generate too much heat and damage the can so watch out if you got one.
Oh really? Hmmm lol Ill let you know tomorrow. Bike gets back from the shop after being tuned...I hope its ok

msgirle

ok so I'm a newbie...can someone explain to me what dyno-ing means n why its done?? :Flash: Sorry...just trying to get informed. :thumbup:

N

nccoder

ok so I'm a newbie...can someone explain to me what dyno-ing means n why its done?? :Flash: Sorry...just trying to get informed. :thumbup:

Generally it's strapping the bike down where it is stationary except for the back wheel which sits on a big 2,000 pound roller that is hooked to a computer and measures your Rear Wheel Horse Power (RWHP). Also there is a probe in the exhaust that measures gases to tell the air to fuel ratios.

Usually this is done with an added fuel injection computer that overrides the stock computer. This computer is programmed by a technician so that the bike produces more Horse Power as well as improving all around acceleration and better air to fuel ratios to match aftermarket exhausts, air filters, or other modifications to the engine. This program is commonly referred to as a Fuel Map or MAP.

Wait! There's more! Here's a little video of my bike getting a baseline map made for comparison for when the bike is re-mapped to run better.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69L2vAhOymg]YouTube - FZ6 DYNO[/ame]

Hope this helps and never be afraid to ask questions. It's totally cool here!
Cliff

Wolfman

The 6 or so HP gain from full exhaust sounds about right, modding stock with 10 HP gain sounds bit of a reach, I'd say 3-4 HP more like it.
I got nearly a 10hp increase on the dyno, with power commander and modded oem EXHAUST..only got about 1.5hp more with a set of TB's. And the stock read i got was from my bike, not a magazine quted figure.

you would be surprised just how much difference a free breathing bike makes to performance...remember, the bike companies have to meet strict noise, and pollution regulations to get their bikes through to the market place.

:thumbup:

joloy133

Addendum: I've read various mag articles now that rate the max HP from 65.9 to 69 as tested on "that day". (Don't know how much to factor weather, user ability, etc.) Anyway,... it's fast enough.......Yeah????????