Ducati Visit #2

RoadTrip

Well, it was rainy and I was bored so went down to Ducati yesterday to check out all the Italian Exotica again. I really enjoy visiting, the salespeople are so great, they had all the bikes ready to demo outside, they even had the new Superleggera on display.

I browsed around and sat on eyeballed several models, but of course always end up back at the supermodel, 1199 S, here is my take on the various models.

Hypermotard SP - sounds like so much fun on paper, but sitting on it feels so tall and naked

Monster - nice bike, but doesn't inspire me

Diavel - likely a great bike, just seems kinda big

Multistrada - supposedly a entertaining fun bike, but too sensible

1199s - this bike is pure sex, I am drawn to it, the insane noise it makes at start up feels like you are at a racing paddock. The TFT screen and all the adjustments make the bike seem so futuristic (engine power, engine braking, ABS level, front and rear suspension) all right there on a very clear color screen. The Marchesini wheels, carbon and magnesium bits, Ohlins suspension, it is the Ferrari of bikes.

So, is it worth $25K? I mean it is no faster than a Japanese Liter bike at half the price, it runs super hot, it is apparently a harsh unforgiving ride, with the still somewhat questionable reliability and maintenance costs. Well, chances are I will never get one, kinda like I will never have a supermodel girlfriend, but do I lust after it? Hell yes. Do I want it? Again, hell yes! But, in the end the Japanese bikes give me plenty of thrills without all the heartbreak, but I do understand the passion involved with owning one of these bikes. Maybe I should just stop going there on boring, rainy days.....

latony007

i liken this to my wife who is constantly watching like house hunters and dream houses and those kinda shows. I ask her why in the hell do you keep watching these shows about houses we could never afford in a million years doesnt it just piss you off? :)

i like the diavel, sat on one at the show in long beach and was surprised how comfortable it felt for a shorty like me. Of course the FZ6R felt pretty comfy too in the showroom but a half hour out of the dealership you realized the seat sucks.