Dropped bike and fall!

AnTy

Okay so in a matter of 2 weeks of getting my first large bike (I had a 250 first), I have dropped it twice in the same day and I slid off the road. Okay the drops both happened on a hill and I was not used to the weight of the bike. My 250 weighs about 250lbs lol. I can bench press that. Now you guys know how heavy the FZ6R is. So first drop a car and I were pulling in to a gas station and I pulled in toa spot while the car was backing in. The driver honked the horn, I turn to make sure he wasn't backing in to me and then it happened. I tried to save it but in the end it fell gently and threw me to the ground. The second one was like 10min later. On a hill again and TIMMBEEERRR in slow motion again. Both times, no frame scratches. Just a scuff on the mirror and handle bar. I have frame sliders now jsut in case.

The fall came from trying to lean a little more. I took the turn too wide. Thank goodness I was only going about 10-15mph. As the turn went too wide, I went off road in to some soft dirt/grass. The back tire slid as it sunk in the dirt and I went down with it. No damage or injuries because the soft dirt stopped the bike pratically instantly. Sigh my shame as a noob. :surrender: :( :rant::banghead::spank:

CrazyCawi

Okay so in a matter of 2 weeks of getting my first large bike (I had a 250 first), I have dropped it twice in the same day and I slid off the road. Okay the drops both happened on a hill and I was not used to the weight of the bike. My 250 weighs about 250lbs lol. I can bench press that. Now you guys know how heavy the FZ6R is. So first drop a car and I were pulling in to a gas station and I pulled in toa spot while the car was backing in. The driver honked the horn, I turn to make sure he wasn't backing in to me and then it happened. I tried to save it but in the end it fell gently and threw me to the ground. The second one was like 10min later. On a hill again and TIMMBEEERRR in slow motion again. Both times, no frame scratches. Just a scuff on the mirror and handle bar. I have frame sliders now jsut in case.

The fall came from trying to lean a little more. I took the turn too wide. Thank goodness I was only going about 10-15mph. As the turn went too wide, I went off road in to some soft dirt/grass. The back tire slid as it sunk in the dirt and I went down with it. No damage or injuries because the soft dirt stopped the bike pratically instantly. Sigh my shame as a noob. :surrender: :( :rant::banghead::spank:

WELL THESE THINGS WILL HAPPEN, did you take the MSF? Also please tell me you were ATGATT while riding! Thats one thing with being on bikes is being so aware of your surroundings and being able to mutitask your balance as well as other functions of the bike! The only thing I can say is stay off the freeways and heavy traffic highways, and do your best to gain some good expirience! Glad you and yoru bike are safe and ok!!!! ;)

AnTy

Yeah I am. I am probably over cautious. Especially now. I always ride full gear (helmet, gloves, no riding boots but boots, jacket with padding, no neck protector yet). I work on a military base so I have to always have my helmet and jacket. Yeah the drops were mainly from me underestimating the weight of the bike. I no longer do lol. The wide turn was on like a 90 degree turn. Lessons learned as I'm getting a better feel of the bike since upgrading.

redprodigy35

Sorry, but I have to ask you again-- did you take the MSF?

If not bud, the best advice I can give you is to do yourself a favor and sign up, listen carefully, and don't feel bad about spending the cash because it will be some of the best moolah you ever spend.

Sorry to hear about the bike, glad your OK.

Sparkxx1

Honestly I've dropped mine 4 times now. All from a stop just like you're describing. I haven't had one once I'm moving because well it's only the heaviness that gets me, not my riding skills. I weigh 135 lbs and I haven't been to the gym in years! I used to bench 250, now I can barely do my weight. I felt like shit and still do but it's part of the learning curve. Going from a 300 lb bike to an almost 500 lbs bike is not easy even with an MSF course. You're used to making U-turns off the bat, from a complete stop(I've ridden my friend's ex250, 300 lbs? might as well weigh nothing). Now make sure you go forward a good two feet before starting the U-turn. This bike is different since it's top heavy. My advice is be careful after fueling her up, it feels like she's bloated at super-low speeds. I've taken 300 mile trips without incidents and I'm 10x more aware when dipping below 10 mph. Buy some frame sliders!

As the other riders said, take the MSF course if you need to, it's worth it. Especially if you're having trouble when you're actually riding on roads. It's one thing to have parking lot difficulties, but maybe you shouldn't be riding unsupervised if you're still going wide on turns. Stick to the lot for now.

Last edited:

DakinechicK

Oh silly boys... it's not all about weight. I weigh 93 lbs. I've been able to keep the bike up with no problem, even if I'm sitting on it in neutral with no hands on the bars. I dropped this bike one time BEFORE it was lowered. So, I could barley touch the ground, and I was in my neighborhood playing around with it.... which, yes, I take responsibility for. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking, maybe it wasn't time for you to get rid of the 250? BUT, you know your experience better than me.

Can't stress enough to take classes!! Even experienced riders get good advice doing more advanced classes throughout their motorcycle career.

Last edited:

Sparkxx1

Oh silly boys... it's not all about weight. I weigh 93 lbs. I've been able to keep the bike up with no problem, even if I'm sitting on it in neutral with no hands on the bars. I dropped this bike one time but that was before it was lowered and I could barley touch the ground.

I'm thinking, maybe it wasn't time to get rid of the 250? BUT, you know your experience better than me.

Can't stress enough to take classes!! Even experienced riders get good advice doing more advanced classes throughout their motorcycle career.
If you're not used to the weight and adapt to it quickly, it's not hard to drop. I skipped the 250 and MSF, I know I shouldn't have but that's why i prepared my bike with frame sliders. It's easy for a more experienced rider to say that, or even one who is extra careful at parking lot speeds. I come from riding a bicycle, which I can ride and trick with excellent balance, and better than most. That was my downfall since I'm used to putting it through insane angles. Yeah I can drag knee down a hill with my bmx and do it right. Parking lot speeds with my fz6r? That was my challenge, and everyday is a challenge trying to perfect my skills. I got cocky and confident every time I dropped her, I'm not planning to let my guard down again.

Speaking of my bicycle it is starting to warm up again, hmm she needs a tune up for the summer!

PEARL FZ6R

Oh silly boys... it's not all about weight. I weigh 93 lbs. I've been able to keep the bike up with no problem, even if I'm sitting on it in neutral with no hands on the bars. I dropped this bike one time BEFORE it was lowered. So, I could barley touch the ground, and I was in my neighborhood playing around with it.... which, yes, I take responsibility for. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking, maybe it wasn't time for you to get rid of the 250? BUT, you know your experience better than me.

X2..........
I'm not even 5' 2" tall, and my hubby is always teasing me about how weak I am..............and I've never dropped my FZ6R (which is lowered but I still can't touch flat footed ) or my first street bike ( buell blast ) but I did take the class, and I have ridden dirt bikes/ minis on and off most of my life and he has raced MX over half his life so I have a pretty good teacher.

The one key thing that comes to mind that I can suggest is keeping the bike balanced/upright at slow speeds and when you are stopped. You CANNOT let it lean over too far or it is going to go down once the weight takes it.

Practice practice practice..............good luck.

ecunni04

There is no shame in being a noob!! In my book i will always be a noob because there is always something else to be learned and more ways to improve.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

X2..........
I'm not even 5' 2" tall, and my hubby is always teasing me about how weak I am..............and I've never dropped my FZ6R (which is lowered but I still can't touch flat footed ) or my first street bike ( buell blast ) but I did take the class, and I have ridden dirt bikes/ minis on and off most of my life and he has raced MX over half his life so I have a pretty good teacher.

The one key thing that comes to mind that I can suggest is keeping the bike balanced/upright at slow speeds and when you are stopped. You CANNOT let it lean over too far or it is going to go down once the weight takes it.

Practice practice practice..............good luck.

You're both right on the strength issue. I word myself wrong, I meant the strength to stop your mistakes once the tipping begins lol. :D

motoneta123

Yeah I am. I am probably over cautious. Especially now. I always ride full gear (helmet, gloves, no riding boots but boots, jacket with padding, no neck protector yet). I work on a military base so I have to always have my helmet and jacket. Yeah the drops were mainly from me underestimating the weight of the bike. I no longer do lol. The wide turn was on like a 90 degree turn. Lessons learned as I'm getting a better feel of the bike since upgrading.
Well you are not over cautious you are right to wear ATGATT and the MSF is a must, other than that at low speed make sure to do not place your weight on the grips, relax your body and let your weight rest on the seat and you'll find easier to handle your bike at low speeds:thumbup:

AnTy

I plan on taking the class but at this point in time with the hours I am working, I can not take it.

AnTy

Yeah at the end of this I have learned my lesson. In both cases I underestimated the weight. I let it lean too far. First turning my head looking at a car and the other letting it lean against my leg and not realizing how heavy it was. I will be taking the safety course after I get off swing shift. I will continue to just get more familiar with my bike. Thanks for the support and not bashing me too bad lol. I figured someone else has done something similar. P.S. I'm a short guy too. I'm only 5'5" 200lbs.

Detrich

definitely slow down & take it easy... find a vacant lot or a very low-traffic area and practice riding, stopping/ launching etc. then only after you're comfortable, try practicing inclined stops- ie stopping on a hill, and learn how to hold the bike with your rear brake and then launch at an incline by finding the release point of the friction zone and slowly letting off the rear brake...

but yah- the 6R is a very top-heavy bike. and, yah- once it tips, you pretty much have to be popeye on spinach to save it... <lol> our rear wheel will kick out (lose traction) very easily on gravel, and the extra weight doesn't help.

i can't wait for the day when -all- bikes come standard with anti-lock brakes and traction control... seems like it's long overdue.

J.J.

Main thing I am glad you are ok!!!

I can remember way back when I first starting riding...70s. I snapped my front brake lever clear off dropping my XL250.

Noticing the pavement before you stop helps a lot especially at the signals! Focused and MSF all the way.
Be safe man. :thumbup:

Sparkxx1

definitely slow down & take it easy... find a vacant lot or a very low-traffic area and practice riding, stopping/ launching etc. then only after you're comfortable, try practicing inclined stops- ie stopping on a hill, and learn how to hold the bike with your rear brake and then launch at an incline by finding the release point of the friction zone and slowly letting off the rear brake...

but yah- the 6R is a very top-heavy bike. and, yah- once it tips, you pretty much have to be popeye on spinach to save it... <lol> our rear wheel will kick out (lose traction) very easily on gravel, and the extra weight doesn't help.

i can't wait for the day when -all- bikes come standard with anti-lock brakes and traction control... seems like it's long overdue.

Rumor has it that the new cbr 2012 will come with ABS, I'm just trying to think up of reasons not to get it. Eventually though I will fail and end up getting one...Plus they say the abs on that bike is going to be so good only someone like rossi will be able to out-brake it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ]YouTube - ABS vs. No ABS[/ame]

I really wanna put little wheels on the fz6r and try it....:cool:

toddjcruz

It all about being on top of it. It’s almost impossible for anyone to hold up a bike once it gets too far over. That’s just a fact of life, no matter how strong you are. What comes from experience, is knowing how to keep the bike in balance all the time. Very similar to gymnasts on a balance beam. None of them can keep on it if they get out of position. What they learn to do is make those very little adjustments, that you almost can’t even see, to stay centered at all times. People new to a bike will focus a lot on keeping that thing upright. Over time, this just becomes second nature and you could be at the station sitting on it, eating a pizza pocket, drinking a big gulp and juggling all at the same time and keep it perfectly upright.

Give it time, it will come to you. I tell new riders that they should stick to their crap starter bike until they get to that point of being able to balance (stopped and started). Then move on to the bike you don’t want to break.