downshifting rev matching

fz6rowner

New rider here.
I have watched many youtube videos on this topic but not all are consistent and none of them sufficiently clear.

When downshifting say from 4 to 3 to slow down before entering a corner, do you operate the throttle and front break lever simultaneously, like index+middle fingers on break lever and thumb+other two fingers on throttle?

I gather that to downshift and rev match, these steps are needed: 1) slow down by applying front brake briefly + close throttle briefly 2) pull clutch 3) downshift 4) blip throttle and 5) release clutch. What is the ideal sequence? Is it 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 OR 1,2,4, 3, 5? Is the last step of releasing the clutch fast or gradual using friction zone approach?

Spanky's Monkey

I blip the throttle while applying front brake. It's easier to practice downshift rev matching without applying steady front brake. By that I mean both brakes to slow down, release front brake, apply clutch, downshift, blip throttle and release clutch. I got used to it and now I downshift without ever having to release the front brake. Comes in handy during emergency braking.

geolemon01

This is where I'd love a gear indicator.
Especially on a bike - way more than on a car - your weight shifts forward when you brake, unweighting the rear, and increasing the chance that your rear tire simply stops, chirps, locks up - that doesn't help you stop, it's actually dangerous.

The best reason you want to downshift is to be in the right gear to pull hard (not TOO hard or you could spin the rear or wheelie) out of a corner.

If you don't have a gear indicator, you have to have confidence you are in the right gear - I blip down gear by gear as I slow down, but I'm just braking - no throttle. At the apex, I should be releasing the brake as I throttle back up (bringing the revs up to where they should be, depending on how far I downshifted) and smoothly engage the clutch.

If you do it right, you'll have smoothly slowed (just brakes) and will accelerate aggressively but smoothly out of the corner.

If you do it wrong, you'll reengage the clutch with a sudden "thud" because your revs weren't matched to where they should be, given that gear.

I do that a lot - mainly because the gear I thought I was downshifting into was one gear off from the one I meant to downshift into! [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just go out and practice up and down and while braking. Your hand is capable of grip, rotation, and finger pressure it just takes practice...

As for rev matching to a stop, a very good practice to engage as the lower the gear you are in during a panic stop, the harder it is to lock the rear. Also should you ride liter bike that doesnt have a slipper clutch, less likely to lock the rear from just downshifting...

One last thing; with rpm held at about 4k, shift from 6th through all the gears to 1st never closing the throttle just keep it 4k until in 1st and then roll off throttle to stop. It can be ve5ty smooth... try it. All forms of practice are good then choose the best one for a given situation...

Spanky's Monkey

Impact are we to release the clutch with every gear using that method?

Yes, its a moment in time where the final drive and engine speed match... you only need a half pull on the clutch and make the shift quick. The longer the engine and trans are decoupled, the greater speed differential.
The higher gears are a very close ratio so minimal throttle is needed say from 6 to 5th, but add a more as you go down. 2nd to 1st being the most as they are like a 44% difference in ratio so more throttle is needed to match them for a smooth transition...

Some random mp3 audio clips are
here...

Spanky's Monkey

Yes, its a moment in time where the final drive and engine speed match... you only need a half pull on the clutch and make the shift quick. The longer the engine and trans are decoupled, the greater speed differential.
The higher gears are a very close ratio so minimal throttle is needed say from 6 to 5th, but add a more as you go down. 2nd to 1st being the most as they are like a 44% difference in ratio so more throttle is needed to match them for a smooth transition...

here...
Hot damn! I tried this technique on the way in to work today and it is extremely smooth. Thanks again.

fz6rowner

here...
I use this sequence of pull clutch lever, downshift, blip, and then release clutch lever. Is the blip before or after downshift? I understand blip to be a quick cycle of open throttle and close throttle with the intention of increasing rpm, not vehicle speed. But when I blip and release clutch lever, the motorcycle abruptly accelerates a bit. It appears I am releasing the clutch before completing the blip (i.e, returning the throttle to where it was before the blipping started). I am primarily using this sequence when approaching the turn to shift to a lower gear so that I have the opportunity to roll on the throttle and accelerate through the turn. Is there anything I can do differently here other than more practice?

Last edited:

Spanky's Monkey

If you're accelerating upon release try feathering the clutch a little more. It's worked wonders for me using the clutch as a genuine control and not an on-off switch like my manual camry. Slower release on the clutch will help until you get the rpm range right.

onetrack97

New rider here.
I have watched many youtube videos on this topic but not all are consistent and none of them sufficiently clear.

When downshifting say from 4 to 3 to slow down before entering a corner, do you operate the throttle and front break lever simultaneously, like index+middle fingers on break lever and thumb+other two fingers on throttle?

I gather that to downshift and rev match, these steps are needed: 1) slow down by applying front brake briefly + close throttle briefly 2) pull clutch 3) downshift 4) blip throttle and 5) release clutch. What is the ideal sequence? Is it 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 OR 1,2,4, 3, 5? Is the last step of releasing the clutch fast or gradual using friction zone approach?
Performance riding, the FZ6R seems like a good bike to learn on. But asking random questions of unknown people on a forum could be more detrimental than helpful.

There are several "must read" books referenced lots of places plus track days and one-on-one training. The best would be one-on-one in which the instructor is behind you /ahead of you and has you on a Bluetooth intercom.