Don't use a screw driver to remove your oil filter use this

Fenixgoon

Easy. Take a philips screwdriver, and a hammer. hammer the screwdriver in at the edge or side, all the way till it hits the other side. Use it like a handle to twist the foliter till it loosens and you can unscrew the rest of the way by hand.

messy, but it works.
success! i ended up gripping the filter with pliers and loosening it that way. they must have overtorqued this thing like CRAZY because i absolutely wrecked the filter with the pliers.

the new filter fits those end cap wrenches nicely though :D

edit: my hands were a little too big so i gave it a few turns with my wrench and end cap attachment. at least it fits for the next time i oil change :p

Sparkxx1

Tired of seeing these oil filter macgyvers! Lol look if you don't feel like trying the screwdrivers or duct tape and want to save yourself some time and cussing. Drop by an autozone sometime and look for the "import oil filter wrench." It looks like this:

Cost me all of 4-5 dollars, and took me all of 2 seconds to take off the filter. Just make sure you get the right range of sizes. Damn, I'm even tempted to start an import oil filter wrench thread where I send off the oil filter wrench and people just keep passing it on by paying like 4-5$ of shipping. <---That would be kool, but it would eventually disappear in someone's garage lol.

D

Deleted member 9794

I've seen where lots of guys had to use a screwdriver to stab and turn their oil filter to get it off. Use this filter end cap from Harbor Freight instead. The smallest one fits great and removes the oil filter with the least trouble.

4 Piece End Cap Oil Filter Wrenches

Item # 94096 $7.99
Hey, any reason you went with those over this one? Those 4 are on sale for $5.99 right now, the one below is $7.99 but for a 4 in 1 tool that does the same job I'd be willing to spend the extra $2.

Universal 3 Jaw Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench

Thoughts? Is the design flawed?

Sparkxx1

Hey, any reason you went with those over this one? Those 4 are on sale for $5.99 right now, the one below is $7.99 but for a 4 in 1 tool that does the same job I'd be willing to spend the extra $2.

Universal 3 Jaw Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench

Thoughts? Is the design flawed?
The one you sent is the better design in my opinion. Some people might get the 4 different sizes and find that none grip our filter well. As opposed to the one you and I posted, which will grip anything in its range. If the grips on the thing aren't working, take them off and it'll, "bite" into the filter. At least I know the filter I posted did bite into my filter and I could see little indentations along the gripped surface.