Don't use a screw driver to remove your oil filter use this

stevet

I've seen where lots of guys had to use a screwdriver to stab and turn their oil filter to get it off. Use this filter end cap from Harbor Freight instead. The smallest one fits great and removes the oil filter with the least trouble.

4 Piece End Cap Oil Filter Wrenches

Item # 94096 $7.99

stevet

I forgot to add also get the Harbor Freight Waste Oil Storage Container Item # 97608 for $13.99 to drain the oil into. It will hold at least 3 oil changes, it's convenient, not messy and the oil can be recycled. It's better for the environment.

Y

yellowfz

Yeah those are great for after stock filter , the new filters are slightly larger and those fit snugly , but sadly the stock filter has to have the Yama wrench or screwdriver .

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

stevet

I don't quite understand your reply. I used the HF cap end wrench to take the old stock filter off and to reinstall a new Yamaha filter. Worked great for me.

Y

yellowfz

Guess mine was on so tight that the wrench would slip (and it has been discussed that the stock filter is slightly smaller) , ergo the screwdriver method , but now I have the Fram filter (from Wal-Mart and much cheaper than stock and just as good) the wrenches work well .
I actually have a unused stock filter if anyone wants to buy , it still has the plastic covering the bottom of the filter , $9.00 plus Shipping .

stevet

Yellowfz what is the part number of the Fram filter you bought at Walmart? You haven't had any problems with it? The Yamaha filter is rather expensive for what it is. Thanks!

Roaddawg

Yellowfz what is the part number of the Fram filter you bought at Walmart? You haven't had any problems with it? The Yamaha filter is rather expensive for what it is. Thanks!
Scroll down about four posts on this thread: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/oil-filter-17743/ and there is a list of all the different filters that will fit our bike. I use the Purolator Ones which I got for about $3 each on Amazon...and they work great.

Y

yellowfz

Roaddowg was on top of it (thanks for the link) , I used the FRAM PH6017A from the list .
$15 or more for a filter is silly , I got the one I have from Stealership and was going to return it but the Stealership had gone out of business , YIKES !

CtrlAltDl

Thanks Steve, for the link to that tool. I ended up using a screwdriver to get my first filter off.

By the way, don't EVER use a Fram filter. They are the WORST filter you can use!

YouTube - ckermit8's Channel

CtrlAltDl

I forgot to add also get the Harbor Freight Waste Oil Storage Container Item # 97608 for $13.99 to drain the oil into. It will hold at least 3 oil changes, it's convenient, not messy and the oil can be recycled. It's better for the environment.
BTW, don't ever use one of those for draining a Cummins diesel. 1" (approx) oil pan drain hole with a 3/4" drain. Guess what happens?!?!

Good thing the Cummins 6BT only holds 3 gallons of oil! :eek:

Y

yellowfz

Don't see your point on the Fram filter , I guess people have been using them for some 15 years and with good success .
Good info on the filters , but to each his own on those , seeing filters are changed on a regular bases and is not a wear item it is subjective , paper ends but larger filter area , gosh more filter area is a good thing right ?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Kspalla

Excellent point Dart, an endless discussion can insue over these topics just find what works for you and go with it

CtrlAltDl

Yea I see your point, some people choose to use inferior and poorly made products and some don't. :D LOL

Y

yellowfz

And some people think they are better/smarter than others even though they are not . :eek:
I ride a Yamaha so I am a idiot then right , but so do you ! :thumbup:
I lodged no debate and even stated "to each his own" , don't go bashing me because I use a product different than you do . :cool:
You are not better than me because you spend more on a filter than I do .
Oh and from what I heard , and correct me if I am wrong all but one was paper pleated material , superior , or the same , and if you notice the vid of the Fram (orange Fram) filter he has to pull hard to get it off the base , maybe the base held the drain back rubber and made it snug in the filter .

Last edited by a moderator:

CtrlAltDl

I won't debate it. You are better and smarter than me and only smarter people use Fram.

Stupid people like me have a tendency to use Amsoil, Wix, Mobile 1, and Rotella T, so stay away from those products if you want to be smarter.

Sorry I couldn't help but be a smart ass. I certainly didn't point any fingers or intend to belittle any one. I just personally think Fram is an inferior filter, probably not the worst, but certainly not the best, therefore I will not use it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

Common guys!!! Do we really need another Freaking oil and oil filter discussion??? Just use whatever make you happy! At the end of the day... it lube, it filters, and will get the job done! Just make sure there's some in there and change it as requested by Doc. Yammy! Cheers!
how did you guys get the filter off with the screwdriver? my filter wont budge at all! righty-tighty, lefty-loosey,....right? :eek:

and for what it's worth, i bought a socket-style filter wrench that fits 65-67mm, and a strap-style wrench that's supposed to do 60-67mm, neither work ><

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member