Does the FZ6R lack power?

Doggman

Thanks for all the posts guys. They have really helped me decide that the FZ6R is, in fact, the right bike for me. This is how I have it reasoned out at the moment.

1) 6R is not lacking in low end power, rather top end power which is not near as important to me
2)fz6r is much better for driving in traffic and commuting which is what i will be doing 99% of the time on this bike
3)the bike itself is a lot cheaper and the insurance is ALOT cheaper
4)i think i am a lot less likely to get myself in bad trouble on an FZ6R than i would on an R6 (or equivalent bike) because I am one to push the limits
5)if i end up falling in love with riding i can always upgrade in the future...

so, with that being said, wish me luck tomorrow on test driving the FZ6R and hopefully it works out! also go check out my other thread asking about the used bike i might be buying haha

thanks again for everyones help

I'm a new rider and I love this bike very much. I don't know if this is normal, but I feel like it's not enough power for what I like. Has anyone else felt this? Mostly, it's the acceleration for me. I'm already comfortable riding the bike and I've only had it for 1-2 weeks. Have I just adapted quickly to this bike? I have no complaints other than this.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Deanohh

Get going about 30mph in 1st and give it wide open throttle up to 10k rpm before you shift, then take it up to 10k again... shift and WOT again. If thats not good enough acceleration for you, you need a bigger bike.

ajskillz13

I normally shift 4-6rpm, after reading that's what most people use around town. I never go past 6k usually.
You don't feel the rush of power until 8-9 k... Let 'r rip!!! 4-6 is good normally, but for power, you need to ramp it up.

Bloke

You've got a 11.5k red line, use it ;)

The 6r doesn't come alive until post 6k revs. 1st gear is a little short for my liking but 2nd will get you up past 70 in short order.

in the twisties I'm rarely out of 3rd, revs sitting around 6 to 8k.

Also it's a little hard to hear unless in a tunnel but slowly ramp the throttle up past 6k and you'll hear a satisfying vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom noise as you wheel on the power.

Only time I notice a lack in power is when riding with mates on their litre SS bikes.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jocampo

Okay i've thought a little more about it and the FZ6R really may be the perfect bike for me because I honestly probably can't afford the R6. How do they compare to the Ninja 250s and CBR250?
The fz6r is my third bike and I will probably be riding it for a while, love it!

I previously had two Ninjas 250: 2007 and 2009 model. Fantastic bikes, but too light for commuting in a freeway, at least, in my opinion. Not enough torque at low rpms. Ninjas are good commuting bikes but you will feel you need a new bike after a year or two.

Now, I skipped couple of posts, so not sure if I missed this, but did you take the MSF course? I believe you have not ride a bike before. Even though the Yamaha is not a true sport bike, is way more powerful than the Ninja. If you don't have experience, maybe you should buy a used Ninja 250 instead, keep the rest of the money, and "put some miles under your belt".

Last but not least, please don't judge bikes saying how fast they can go or not. Instead, think about how comfortable the bike is for you, how expensive the insurance is going to be, can you afford unexpected repairs?

Good luck with your bike! Please, take the MSF course! Ride safe! Don't speed. The pleasure of riding is in the riding itself, not the speed.

AngryAnt

The FZ6R was my first real bike. I had a scooter before that b/c it was an easier sell to my wife, and cheap to drop.

My 2 cents, it's a *great* first bike, although even a bit big to me at 5'4" and 135 pounds. I think its the way to go if you're going to do much with it outside of track days or just riding it out on the weekend to impress your friends.

An R6 is sexy, but I know if I had one my back and neck would never forgive me riding it 5 days a week to work and back...

jocampo

I've had a 09 Ninja 250 and a FZ6R. The FZ6R is 10 times the bike the 250 is.
Well, they are different bikes, you know ...

For twisties, I think the Ninja 250 is one of the best bikes out there, better than the fz6r in my opinion. But overall, fz6r is a better bike. More stable and safe for highway commute.

dcBear78

Is it too slow?

Yes

/end thread

But, for someone of your experience it is a great bike to learn on. And I am actually glad Aussies legislate this and not allow newbies on super sports.

Your last post seems to be on the money.

Also, I don't understand why people like to keep it in the family? Are you all just Yamaha nuts? My next bike will be a litre super sport, and I will get the best available. And from reports the R1 is pretty low on the list of options, with the ninja, gixxer and blade all considered far superior (according to reviews I have read).

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dcBear78

I did say according to reviews.... Not my experience (yet). But none the less....

MCN - 2011 Superbike Smackdown - Street

MCN - 2011 Superbike Smackdown - Track

Sports Rider 2011 BMW S100RR, Kawasaki ZX-10R, Ducati 1198 comparison
1. Bimmer
2. Ninja
3. Duke

Motorcycle.com - 2010 Litrebike Shootout: RSV4 R vs S1000RR vs CBR1000RR vs ZX-10R
No defined winner, but article states the Bimmer as the best followed by the Fireblade a close second.

Hard to find R1 Comparisons...

Motorcycle.com - 2009 Literbike Shootout
Honda CBR1000RR vs Kawi ZX-10R vs Suzuki GSX-R1000 vs Yamaha YZF-R1, with a side of Ducati 1198S

1. Blade
2. Ninja
3. Gixxer
4. R1

Seems like 2009 was the last update on the R1. Even then most reviews put it at the back of the pack. And almost every other manufacturer has produced updates that has mostly improved their bikes.

As for using racing results.... According to the WRC this Citroen DS3 is the best car one could buy.... Agree?

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spitfire

Personally, I don't feel the like the learning curve of a motorcycle is as bad as some people say it is. After having the 6r for 8 months I would really like a SS. It's louder and I think the position would be more fun. I don't really care for the extra speed or anything like that. Anyways, my 2 cents. I don't regret getting the 6r but if I could I would change bikes now.

motoguy82

:thumbup: Gonna have to agree with this.

Edit: The FZ6R, when I'm actually pushing it to accelerate (and I still haven't even remotely pushed it to it's limits) still throws me back enough to remind me that it has plenty of power. I'm 6'3 and ~250 lbs, and even in 4th gear I've pulled the front wheel off the ground. That being said though: As far as I understand it, the others (R6, R1 and the like) as a general rule are going to still have more power. The 6R, if I remember correctly, is the exact same engine as the R6 only toned down, so that should give you a pretty good idea of it. I don't regret at all getting the 6R over the FZ1 I was looking at originally. Cheaper payments, cheaper insurance, and better gas mileage. I can deal without the extra power that might tempt me to do something stupid.
4th gear wheelie? I'd LOVE to see a video of this...are you sitting on the passenger seat or something??? :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

WhiteFZ

I had a GS500 before my wife got the FZ6R. After riding the GS500 and getting on the FZ, the FZ felt fast. Not scary fast, but fast. I think if it weighed 30lbs less it would be perfect, or had 15hp more. I don't think it lacks power. Now after a week or so of commuting on my CBR 954, I took my wife's FZ to work. It was so much fun to crank that sucker and toss it around. It's fun to be WOT in the lower gears and not have to worry about having the front come up and over me. The FZ6R is a very fun bike.