Does it get on anybody elses nerves when....

iSpoolin

a new rider goes to a car forum to get bike advice?

One of the main forums I use is CobaltSS.net, and here lately there's been TONS of people starting threads saying there getting a bike, where should they start, etc etc, and every damn time you get 423423 people in there telling them to get a GSXR or an R6, and then you have me and like two other guys telling them stuff they should actually do, I usually direct them to the new rider section over on Sportbikes.net, but since the dumb advice outways the right advice, the kids normally post they get an SS bike of some kind. I wish the people that didn't ride on there would just stay out of the threads but that'll never happen.

/Rant

Yummy Yellow

Yes, I guess that won't happen. Even if you'd, say, post an article from a bike magazine or website stating the most common mistakes new bike riders make on their first purchase, it'll probably still not reach the right audience. People will generally buy what they made up their mind to buy and just ignore really good advice. In fact I made the same mistake. My first bike was a small capacity cruiser from China, even when my biker friends told me it wasn't a good first choice buy. Well, I now have a FZ6R.
I still own the cruiser... but just for sh!ts and giggles. :p

RACreative

Hey guys... I am thinking about buying a cage.. any suggestions?:D

Just kidding... I frequent a lot of Performance boat forums... and you would be surprised how often there are threads about motorcycles... and people looking to buy a bike and asking for advise. Much of the time the advise given is not good...

Fenixgoon

Hey guys... I am thinking about buying a cage.. any suggestions?:D

Just kidding... I frequent a lot of Performance boat forums... and you would be surprised how often there are threads about motorcycles... and people looking to buy a bike and asking for advise. Much of the time the advise given is not good...
if it doesn't have 500hp or more, don't waste your money ;)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
This happens on non-vehicle forums as well. I'm a member on XDTalk, which is a gun forum, and I have seen a number of similar threads. Newbs asking advice from gun enthusiasts about what motorcycle to get for their first bike! But the difference there is that most gun enthusiasts are responsible individuals and actually offer appropriate advice about starting on something small, manageable and used.

yfz6r

They ask that because people on that forum have similar interests. The cobalt SS may be some people's dream car. If the two people love that type of car, they would probably love a similar type of motorcycle. Whether or not that advice is good or not is completely subjective. Most people buy a bike just to look cool anyway so an SS would probably be best for that mindset.