Votes: 98 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 76 38.4%
  • It's a must

Votes: 24 12.1%

• Total voters

EsrTek

Don't wait, you will love it!!
The sena unit I have has decent speakers, but no real bass to them. However, they nice and loud even at triple digits speeds.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BKP

Thanks Jay, may look into something like that down the road. I need to get the bluetooth headset mounted in my helmet to see how I like it.
I use Senas as well (I have both the 5 and the 10... I actually prefer the 5 w/ the upgraded speakers, and the wired mic, due to the disparity in size).

I use foam Hearos Ear Plugs, and just crank up the sound. I can hear the music well, even through the plugs, yet still be cognizant of sounds around me. The speakers sit in depressions specifically designed in the helmet (I have the Sena5 in my Bell RS-1, which as *great* speaker depressions; and the Sena 10 on my Scorpion Exo-1100 -- also with depressions specifically for speakers). Absolutely no contact between the speakers and my ears, yet they remain perfectly situated... haven't had to re-position them in months.

I have a RAM mount for my phone (on the handlebar), and use that for my tunes. The Sena prioritizes incoming signals (phone, intercom, MP3 player -- I believe in that order). Works fabulously. The big "Jog Dial" on the Sena makes changing songs simple. Answering calls, even with music playing is a voice command... No distraction. I don't find the music detracts at all from what's going on around me. I've avoided *many* idiot moves from texting drivers, and don't believe listening to music (for me) detracts in the least from being able to react to a situation. However, YMMV... HIC...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

EsrTek

I might possibly let my sena 10 go for good price, and then buy the new smaller one or one w/o a intercom at all (it's been more a hassle when playin music and I never once used it between bikers).

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

xChapterxFourx

If I'm riding with a group, I don't listen to anything but the bikes.

But, if it's just me, I have to...while my Bell Star Carbon helmet is ridiculously comfortable, wind noise is a bit much.

BKP

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Not in the budget at the moment though. Would like to get a mount though for my Galaxy S4
I have an S4 as well (just upgraded from my 'ol dependable Droid -- but, love the S4 so far... blows away the iPhone -- sorry, iPhone fans... 'tis true).

Here's the mount I've used *very* successfully with both my Droid, and my S4:

RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base & Universal X-Gripâ„¢ IV Large Phone/Phablet Holder

Detrich

I use Senas as well (I have both the 5 and the 10... I actually prefer the 5 w/ the upgraded speakers, and the wired mic, due to the disparity in size).

I use foam Hearos Ear Plugs, and just crank up the sound. I can hear the music well, even through the plugs, yet still be cognizant of sounds around me. The speakers sit in depressions specifically designed in the helmet (I have the Sena5 in my Bell RS-1, which as *great* speaker depressions; and the Sena 10 on my Scorpion Exo-1100 -- also with depressions specifically for speakers). Absolutely no contact between the speakers and my ears, yet they remain perfectly situated... haven't had to re-position them in months.

I have a RAM mount for my phone (on the handlebar), and use that for my tunes. The Sena prioritizes incoming signals (phone, intercom, MP3 player -- I believe in that order). Works fabulously. The big "Jog Dial" on the Sena makes changing songs simple. Answering calls, even with music -playing is a voice command... No distraction. I don't find the music detracts at all from what's going on around me. I've avoided *many* idiot moves from texting drivers, and don't believe listening to music (for me) detracts in the least from being able to react to a situation. However, YMMV... HIC...
Would like to see some pics if u can Tnx. :)

Reaver

Voted yes, not always cause I lose that stupid IPod all the time. ( in the house )

It's illegal here in FL, but stupid laws aren't something i usually go by regardless =-)

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

BKP

Would like to see some pics if u can Tnx. :)
No problem.

These are the Sena SMH-10 speakers in my Scorpion Exo-1100. Like quite a few helmets, now, they're not only including depressions in the EPS liner to accommodate speakers, but actual pockets, like in this case:

These are the optional larger Sena SMH-5 speakers in my Bell RS-1. I had to pull back a bit of the comfort liner for you to see, since the speakers are mounted behind it, next to the EPS liner, also in a depression. You can see in both cases, they are sitting deeper than the comfort liner padding. So, they're never contacting my ears, and I still have that "open air" ability to hear other sounds. In fact, on the Bell, the depressions are so deep, that I used the included pads behind speakers to bring them closer to my ears:

This is a comparison between the 5 and 10 on my Bell RS-1 to give you a side-by-side. You can see why I prefer the 5, from an aerodynamic perspective. The 10 is a bit large, and I've never run out of juice on the 5 during a ride. With the optional 5 speakers, unless you *really* need the extra 1/2 mile range or so of the 10, I don't see the advantage.

Detrich

Thanks BKP. That is a sweet setup. :)

acomeaux33cx

When i first started i didnt. Now i feel lost with out it