Do you change oil based on distance or time?

Sirnice

Do you change oil base on distance or time?

Last time I changed oil was Oct of 2011 but only put on about 1k miles on my bike (Only ride once a week to work and some joyriding in the weekend).
Do you think I should change the oil since it's been 9 months. Last oil (and filter) change I used Amsoil synthetic.

Additional info:
I checked the oil last week and the oil still look pretty clean. It's not dark at all like my first oil change. Does that matter?

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

I agree with marthy. I do mine every 3k miles but same same

CrazyCawi

I do mine every 3k with full synthetic amsoil and kawi filter(did the same on the fz6r but with the k&N filter)(i get amsoil cheap $7.88 a qt)

I also change it before I store it for winter, and I change it when it comes out of storage.

yfz6r

I do mine every other month, regardless of miles. Filter changed every other oil change though. It's easy so why not?

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CaseyJones

I run Mobil full syn. and change it once a year. I'll put a few thousand miles on it at the most per year. Time doesn't really matter unless your talking extended time in storage. I leave the same oil in it all winter. Before I start the bike in the spring I change it out.

D

Deleted member 9794

1) If it looks/smells dark/burnt, change it - if not, it's probably still good.
2) If you think you need to change it....change it - it's not expensive enough to not do and the pros heavily outweigh the cons (remember to recycle your old oil at autozone or somewhere equivalent).

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

bmw675

I'd go ahead and change the filter now, then it'll be good come Spring. I just got lazy or else I'd have changed mine beforehand.
When you Guys say storage, what's a typical time for you?

I've never seen where people change oil before and after. Seems like a waste unless its an incredibly long time.

Here it's typically 3 months. I changed mine last week and I won't start it again until I'm ready come march.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

bmw675

Yeah that's a while, not the norm around this area.

Hope people in Florida don't read this and change their's twice when they store their bike for two weeks. :p

2wheelie

Change once a year in spring or 10k mi (whatever first). trying to ride year round. synt mobile1. Changed front brake flooid/pads and cooler ones. almost 40k miles on bike.