DIY Panniers/saddlebag rack?

Bloke

So a while ago I remember seeing something someone had knocked together to support their soft panniers when riding.

It's not Marthy's excellent trunk and bag rack but rather something a little simpler and lots cheaper.

I think it was a simple u shape thing made from pvc pipe that slid between the grab handle and seat, providing the bags with a solid support to hold them up better.

I'm looking to make pretty much the same thing but wondered if anyone either had a picture of the original thing? Or can just let me know roughly how well it actually worked.

I have a 90 litre stuff sack that basically requires the saddlebags to rest on to prevent drooping but my saddlebags drop way too low already due to the poor number of tie down points on the bike (Basically the passenger footpegs and that's it).

I could solve the problem though with the above simple rack I think.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Bloke

Nice! Will have to see whats left when payday comes :)

Bloke

Can't find any review online, don't suppose you have a set of these fitted, are they any good?

pilninggas

Can't find any review online, don't suppose you have a set of these fitted, are they any good?

I have the Givi pannier rack (very similar, but for hard cases) - this stuff is good quality overall, occasionally the welds get surface rust, but no big deal. It will probably say a very low weight capacity, but i ignore this info, as do most riders.

Bloke

Given the cost £70 as opposed to £150 the temptation is to wait and get the plx setup, but that misses out the £200 I'll have to spend on side cases.

Gagh... Too many decisions. Still might just go for it.

pilninggas

Given the cost £70 as opposed to £150 the temptation is to wait and get the plx setup, but that misses out the £200 I'll have to spend on side cases.

Gagh... Too many decisions. Still might just go for it.

Well with plxr rack, you can still strap you soft luggage to it and know it won't fall in towards the wheel and you have that future upgrade potential to hard boxes.

I recently bought Kappa K33Ns from Italy for £157 + £21 postage,,,, cheap as chips:

Yamaha XJ6 - Kappa K33N

Bloke

Nice, and nice forum. Sometimes feel a bit left out on here with the american fz6r focus may have to check it out over there :)

Was going to ask are you the guy on youtube with krauser luggage and led lights.

Plxr it is I think! Thanks pilninggas