Diluted's Photo Thread!

Grumpy

It's great to see people picking up photography. I'm a fine-art (at least that's what they tell me) photographer. I shoot medium and large format mostly black and white and some color.

Here is a quick general tip I tell my students (ya I teach it from time to time).

Rule of thumb for shooting positives (digital images and slide films) is... Expose for the highlights and control the shadows with contrast.

Learn how to take a picture rather than faking it in Photoshop. You will then find the results much more gratifying when you hit the print key. Just keep shooting and take your time and wait for the moment.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Diluted your shots are amazing

and ps. your $ will be very soon I promise

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

Grumpy

Looks like a 1 to 1.5 stops off, this is normal if you are using the camera's meter set at matrix/average. The camera's meter thinks that the average middle tone is 18%grey (density/value) or zone 5 if your reading about the zone system. Next time you meter over-expose your image .5 or 1.0 stops.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

Spitfire

Just a few from Columbia South Carolina

The wife took the pics so I'm not sure of all the settings. Camera is Canon EOS Rebel XS. Lense is Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens.

Enjoy =]

Attachments

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Grumpy

Should I over expose via shutter speed/aperture or should I use the button that increases/decreases brightness (not sure of the correct name for it)

Edit: I have the metering mode set to center weighted average but not matrix
With the image you showed above, the Shutter Speed is what I would use. So, setting the shutter to the next slowest setting. Example: from 1/60 to 1/30 would be "one stop".

Now this is where it can get confusing.... In most cases many would have you use your F-stop ring on your lens. This would have the same effect but, when you start changing your F setting on your lenses you are not only changing the amount of light your are also changing your "DOF" Depth of Field.

Center weight is a good setting to start with, try the spot meter. I believe that your camera has a 5 to 7 degree spot meter built in.

I would post some of my images to give some examples but a medium format film scanner would cost a small fortune. :(

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Grumpy

Should I over expose via shutter speed/aperture or should I use the button that increases/decreases brightness (not sure of the correct name for it)

Edit: I have the metering mode set to center weighted average but not matrix
With the image you showed above, the Shutter Speed is what I would use. So, setting the shutter to the next slowest setting. Example: from 1/60 to 1/30 would be "one stop".

Now this is where it can get confusing.... In most cases many would have you use your F-stop ring on your lens. This would have the same effect but, when you start changing your F setting on your lenses you are not only changing the amount of light your are also changing your "DOF" Depth of Field.

Center weight is a good setting to start with, try the spot meter. I believe that your camera has a 5 to 7 degree spot meter built in.

I would post some of my images to give some examples but a medium format film scanner would cost a small fortune. :(

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

you make me want to get my d50 fixed and get back into photography

CrazyCawi

do you have a speedflash or anything of the sort?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Excuse my noobness but what's a prime lense? To me prime means great credit lol

Sent from Joshua's android dominating iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpy

Prime lenses also give you better image quality due to less elements. All my lenses are prime but one. :)

Here is a great place to buy great used and sometimes new gear. www.keh.com

Last edited: