Did anybody install R6 or FZ6 rear wheel?

Rat

I see FZ6 as well as R6 has 180/55-ZR17 rear wheel.
FZ6R, FZ6 and R6 has the same front wheel...
FZ6 has the same wheelbase as FZ6R...

So, did anybody change rear wheel to R6 or FZ6?
Does it fit? I mean rim and tire.

raven6

haven't confirmed this myself with measurements, but I talked with the shop guys at my local Yamaha dealership about doing this and they tell me that the axle for the R6 is bigger than the one for the FZ6R... so you could do it but you'd have to do some work on the swing-arm, drill out the hole, for the bigger axle...

Last edited:

Rat

Just was in "Iron Pony" and saw R6, R1 and FZ6R next to them.
Nuts and axle are different just like Raven6 said.

Another thing that I noticed - it's hard to notice that R6 rear wheel is more "FAT". They look almost the same. Since I wanted such replacement just "for look" - I fall back with this idea, does not make sense.

R1 wheel probably will not fit even if forget about axle - it's just too fat! :D

Roaddawg

From what I've heard here from others is a 170 width tire on the stock wheel is the wides that will fit within our swingarm. So, I think the answer would be no....it won't fit.

yamanube

Roaring Toyz is working on a conversion to put an R1 rear wheel on, most likely just new spacers and axle. Looks like it fits the swinger just fine.

Last edited:

TOMIK

I see FZ6 as well as R6 has 180/55-ZR17 rear wheel.
FZ6R, FZ6 and R6 has the same front wheel...
FZ6 has the same wheelbase as FZ6R...

So, did anybody change rear wheel to R6 or FZ6?
Does it fit? I mean rim and tire.
R6's are 220/55-17

raven6

R6's are 220/55-17
per Yamaha's spec's on the R6: 2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 Specifications, specs

Chassis:

Suspension/Front 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel

Suspension/Rear Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel

Brakes/Front Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers

Brakes/Rear 220mm disc; single-piston caliper

Tires/Front 120/70-ZR17

Tires/Rear 180/55-ZR17

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

haha, i have a 195/65/17 on my r1, i couldn't imagine how wide a 220 would be, the 195 is huge!

and that roaring toyz bike doesn't have a 190 rear tire on it. its the same size just its a aftermarket wheel. Not many mods on that thing other than cosmetic stuff. Paint, rims, braided lines, pig spotters, bar ends, fender elim, and greggs flushies.

yamanube

haha, i have a 195/65/17 on my r1, i couldn't imagine how wide a 220 would be, the 195 is huge!

and that roaring toyz bike doesn't have a 190 rear tire on it. its the same size just its a aftermarket wheel. Not many mods on that thing other than cosmetic stuff. Paint, rims, braided lines, pig spotters, bar ends, fender elim, and greggs flushies.
It has an aftermarket R1 wheel out back with an R1 sized tire, definitely not the stock 160.

Roaddawg

Here's the facts on the rear wheel of the Roaring Toyz FZ6R bike:

Roaring Toyz FZ6R: Entering with Style - Sportbike Club

"Custom parts for beginner's bikes are often hard to find. In fact, nobody sold wheels for the FZ6R, so Fisher and his team created a mounting kit that allows riders to install any Performance Wheels intended for the 2009 Yamaha R1. Roaring Toyz modifies the wheels so that all factory hardware can be used. For the build, Fisher chose the anodized contrast-cut Mayhem wheels. He paired the rear one with a matching Vortex Cat5 sprocket and a Pirelli Angel ST tire 20 millimeters wider than stock (going to 180 from 160). Also matching the wheels are Roaring Toyz contrast-cut Arrow Point Bar Ends."

So, they squeezed a 180 wide, but with special mounting kits and mods.

Rat

I will not give up with that fat rear tire. :D
Ok, R1/R6 axle is bigger... Ok... Accepted. :D

So how about inserting FZ6R axle into that?
I believe it should fit!
I can't imagine FZ6R rear rim could be so unique!
I will go to dealership and will ask them to show me all rims they have for R1, R6, FZ1, FZ6 LOL.

Last edited: