Delkevic exhaust observations?

jjmaine

My bike came with the 8” Delkevic muffler and I notice that it is ignorantly loud at idle but as you give it some revs (or ride it), it quiets down and sounds nice. Riding down the road, as soon as you start to climb above 4k rpm you can hear it start to smooth out and it loses that raspiness that it has at low rpms.

For those who have this exhaust, is that your experience too or I’m wondering if mine is a result of how the bike is set up and tuning etc? I have a Power Commander and am now running the Hindle map that HCU hooked me up with. Air filter is stock but I have a K&N on the way….

jacobg98

I got a good deal on a Delkevic exhaust system and put it on my bike recently. It's the 8" round stainless steel one, if that is any different than yours. The idle is a little loud, but I don't think it's obnoxious. I leave for work at 5:30 am and haven't gotten any complaints about pulling it away from the house. I like how it sounds and the volume level when I'm riding normally. I get a deeper tone that I really like if I'm below 4k rpm and it doesn't sound raspy at all. However, if I do a pull or something it gets feeling a little loud for my liking, but only just a little bit.

I've only had my bike for a few weeks, so I'm still figuring out what is has and doesn't have. I don't think it has a tuner of any kind. It seemed pretty stock when I got it.

jjmaine

Nice, congrats on the new bike as well. I thought it was strange how my bike seems to quiet down after it gets above 4k rpm but it sounds like yours does the same. Must just be normal.

Mine has the quieter baffle in it and it is still a bit loud for me. The good thing is, Delkevic sells all of their mufflers separate so you can buy a longer muffler and quiet baffle for about $250 and put it onto your existing exhaust. I think I’m going to try the 14” oval muffler with the standard baffle andalso the quiet baffle and then keep whichever I prefer. Should be a bit less noisy than the 8” can…

jjmaine

My power Commander module is under the seat on top of the battery. Check there and also I know some people mount them on the frame inside the side fairings.
Do your headers have the o2 sensor still installed? I personally would never install a full exhaust (o2 sensor or not) without an ecu flash or some kind of fuel controller. Generally I get the ecu flashed but my bike came with the PC and there arent too many options for Fz6r ecu flashes that I could find so I’ll run the PC for now…

jacobg98

I should dig around more underneath the seat. It's possible that there's something tucked away. The previous owner removed the side fairings, so there's nothing hiding there.

My headers don't have the o2 sensor installed. It wasn't on the stock exhaust either. I saw some empty plugs underneath my fuel tank. Is that what plugs in there? I checked on my air filter, and it was pretty clogged up. I beat some dirt out of it and ordered a new one, but I definitely have more popping on decel now. I'll look into ecu flashes and fuel controllers to compensate for the exhaust.

jjmaine

I couldnt find anyone in the US to flash the Fz6r ecu or I would take my power commander off in a heart beat. The Power Commander I think works pretty well but no way of getting it perfect without having a shop dyno it. Also with an ecu flash they can make many more changes to help your bike perform better.

I would get something done so you arent just running a full exhaust on the stock fuel map with no o2 sensors to be safe. I’m no expert si that just my opinion. Not sure why the previous owner would remove the o2 sensor unless maybe he had an aftermarket exhaust on it and took it off before you bought it and never put the o2 sensor back on? Strange.

dabirk23

U.S models don't come with an o2 sensor. That's why the holes are plugged. To get rid of the popping you need to put in block off plates so that air isn't being injected into the exhaust.

jjmaine

Oh no way! I just assumed any efi system would require an o2 sensor to function correctly but you are right. The Fz6r never came with one. My bike came with the Delkevic and it has a bung for the sensor with a plug in it. I just assumed that the previous owner had removed it to use the Pcfc. So how can Delkevic and other exhaust manufacturers claim that their full exhaust are safe to use with no fuel controller or ecu flash? How will the ecu know that the bike is running lean with the exhaust change (presumably) and compensate by adding more fuel?

jjmaine

I switched to the 14” Delkevic carbon muffler and it sounds SO much better and is quiter than the 8” can. The small can sounded terrible imo, it sounded more like a bike without an exhaust than a bike with a good aftermarket exhaust.
With the 14” muffler the bike is quiet enough so that you can “outrun” the sound while riding and the wind noise in my helmet almost drowns it out. This is with the standard baffle too, I shouldn’t have bothered to buy the long baffle. I just assumed I’d need it.
It has a much smaller downturned outlet too which I am sure helps a lot.

IMG_1874.jpeg

jjmaine

The previous owner had a givi on it but not sure if it was the top case or bags. He had the short 8” muffler so maybe that fits with bags? Not sure man.

jjmaine

That two bros will make room for sure. The muffler sots under the bike. I’d get one if they werent so loud and expensive lol. They do look MUCH better than the exhaust like I have, thats for sure