Decrease clutch actuation force

SEALBoy

I felt that my clutch on my 09 FZ6R required too much force to be used comfortably. I re-lubed the clutch cable today, and while the action is smoother, the force required to hold the clutch in position hasn't changed. Does anyone know how to decrease the forced required? All I can think of is replacing the rotational spring where the end of the clutch cable is, but I don't know if there are less stiff springs or if it's even possible to replace it.

Any advice?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Yeah the clutch lever is a tad hard to hold compressed for any amount of time. There is probably nothing wrong with it just the nature of the beast.
I usually find neutral at stoplights and don't use the clutch after takeoff to shift.
I think someone has a replacement pivot arm (on engine) that is longer and helps relieve the needed pull force.
Old but here is what I was thinking: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-mods/35451-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again.html
After looking at video it appears these are not a direct fit for the FZ6R.

Last edited by a moderator:

Superzoom

First off, compare your clutch to another bike with comparable power to see if it really is your clutch, or you're just not used to it.

Second, you could replace your clutch cable with one with a stainless steel housing. That might help a small amount.

Lastly, you can try a trick where you re-drill the hole where the cable attaches to the clutch lever. This is a dirt bike trick, as dirt bike riders like having a super light clutch. This increases the leverage of the clutch lever. It's sort of the same as increasing the length of the clutch actuating arm outside the engine case.

YZ Clutch Lever Easy pull Mod - YZ 400/426/450 - ThumperTalk

Pics on that link are dead, but you might be able to Google some pics of the procedure. It's supposed to work really well to reduce the clutch pull substantially.

Y

yellowfz

First off, compare your clutch to another bike with comparable power to see if it really is your clutch, or you're just not used to it.

Second, you could replace your clutch cable with one with a stainless steel housing. That might help a small amount.

Lastly, you can try a trick where you re-drill the hole where the cable attaches to the clutch lever. This is a dirt bike trick, as dirt bike riders like having a super light clutch. This increases the leverage of the clutch lever. It's sort of the same as increasing the length of the clutch actuating arm outside the engine case.

YZ Clutch Lever Easy pull Mod - YZ 400/426/450 - ThumperTalk

Pics on that link are dead, but you might be able to Google some pics of the procedure. It's supposed to work really well to reduce the clutch pull substantially.
Good idea but on our stock levers there is a lump of aluminum in the way.
I suppose you can grind it down and then do the mod.
This link gives a idea to what you are talking about : How to make an Easy Pull Clutch
And here is another idea : F4i clutch arm mod... weld-less version. - Stunt Bike Forum I have a idea that would work much better than this one, not as many bolts involved.
Looks like MSR, Moose and Righteous Stunt, make them.
Lever would most definitely be the easiest.

Last edited by a moderator:

toddler

Much easier on the forearm

I moved further away from my office and now have a longer commute that I must say I'm really enjoying on my FZ6. I ride rain or shine. Discovered after a week though that my left forearm was sore ~ like playing a long tennis game. Determined that it was the added daily "clutching". Found the old thread on our forum and had to experience this mod. Bought new parts from gearhead.com. Then contacted Aero Welding in Culver City (close to my office) and "Dave" the owner and master fabricator really hooked me up. I showed him several of the pics from the thread and he turned them around in a week.

Parts from GearHead.com:
5VX-16340-00-00 ~ PUSH LEVER ASSY
5VX-15441-00-00 ~ HOLDER, CLUTCH CABLE

AERO Welding & Mfg. in Culver City California:
aerowelding-mfg.com

**Installed the longer clutch arm last Saturday and opted to reattach the cable at the furthest hole out ~ OMG what a difference. Really makes my city commuting less taxing on my left hand and forearm. You do have to get used to a slightly longer 'friction zone' but it doesn't detract from performance.

Y

yellowfz

I moved further away from my office and now have a longer commute that I must say I'm really enjoying on my FZ6. I ride rain or shine. Discovered after a week though that my left forearm was sore ~ like playing a long tennis game. Determined that it was the added daily "clutching". Found the old thread on our forum and had to experience this mod. Bought new parts from gearhead.com. Then contacted Aero Welding in Culver City (close to my office) and "Dave" the owner and master fabricator really hooked me up. I showed him several of the pics from the thread and he turned them around in a week.

Parts from GearHead.com:
5VX-16340-00-00 ~ PUSH LEVER ASSY
5VX-15441-00-00 ~ HOLDER, CLUTCH CABLE

AERO Welding & Mfg. in Culver City California:
aerowelding-mfg.com

**Installed the longer clutch arm last Saturday and opted to reattach the cable at the furthest hole out ~ OMG what a difference. Really makes my city commuting less taxing on my left hand and forearm. You do have to get used to a slightly longer 'friction zone' but it doesn't detract from performance.
Can you take some pictures of them for us?

Grumpy

Had had this issue with my Honda near the end of last season. The clutch got to the point where it was very hard. We installed a new cable and that fixed the issue. I do have problems with my clutch hand so the lighter the better.