Decals Removed + Carbon Fiber = Pretty Baby

Blackcat

Many thanks to Kevin8198 for the tank template and much respect to Bobby Bo Bonsin for inspiring me with his creative genius and generous advice.

I removed the stock decals with a hair dryer and Goof Off and then applied the carbon fiber decal (from Autozone for $14.99) to the tank. In less than an hour my bike was transformed from generic stock to a more serious looking machine (IMHO).

In fact, after I cleaned her up and took her for a celebratory ride, I received not one, but 2 compliments on my baby's beauty!! She is, indeed, a head turner now (If I must say so, myself). I would not have had the courage to make the changes without guidance and instruction I learned on this forum. So very happy I joined.

Pics are in my album.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blackcat

Thanks Anson!
Kicking myself for having waited this long to do it.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bobby bo bonsin

Lookin good! It becomes addicting so be careful lol.

Hello my real name is Adam.

Blackcat

Thanks JT. I'm honored getting a compliment on Ruby from the owner of one of the sickest bikes on the forum!

Bobby Bo--I see what you mean about it becoming an addiction. However, my creative inspiration isn't quite as strong as yours and JT's. I probably will replace the YAMAHA logo with a red one rather than the stock grey one, but I don't foresee much beyond that. Besides, I'm a real Klutz with anything mechanical. :eek:

bobby bo bonsin

Looks like you did a good job cutting out and laying down that cf vinyl. It can be hard to position it correctly and then get it all down without getting air trapped under it. If you can do that then you can make anything you want for the bike. Hell all my bike is is a simple racing stripe with 6r and yamaha logos. So dont be afraid to experiment not to say that your bike doesnt look good the way it is now because it does. I rocked mine just like yours for quite a while. Actually forget what i just said. Just go out and ride it and enjoy it. I wish i had more time to ride mine. Thats probably why i always am messing with it because i dont get to ride it very often.

Blackcat

Bummer that you don't get to ride as much as you'd like. The upside is that you seem to get quite a bit of satisfaction from working on new and different mods for your bike. I will probably become more like you as the weather gets increasingly cooler here in Austin. No telling what Ruby might look like by the time Spring arrives! But yes...she seems quite lovely just as she is for now.

Thanks again for your feedback and encouragement!

buckwild

The bike looks great! But we need some more pics!

Did you CF wrap the fairings or shoot them black?

Blackcat

Thank you for your compliment, Buckwild!!!!:)
I'll definitely post more pics very soon.

The fairings are glossy black when you remove the stock decals. I didn't do anything to them. However, I REALLY like the carbon fiber decals that Bobby Bo Bonsin has on his fairings and will probably attempt to emulate the look this winter. You can see several different CF designs in his album.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Deep

Hey blackcat I just picked up a 2011 with the copper finish debating on doing this looks really good. Did you just remove the decals and leave it like that. Or did you add more of your own decals ? Can you post some more pics would appreciate it thanks