Day time running lights

owldaddy

I just completed a project I have had in mind since I bought the 6R. I'm a believer in day time running lamps. Even though motorcycles run with the headlight on at all times, anything that can help cagers see you coming will help prevent them from turning left in front of you. Since the 6R has a limited electrical generation capability, I went with super bright LED's. They draw milliamps and give off a lot of light. Over the years researching daylight running lights, it has been considered best that they form a triangle when viewed from the front (unlike the Harley crowd that places them side by side with the headlight). Hence I put the new lights down on the forks. Another bonus for the LED's is they are very light weight. They add a few grams of unsprung weight to the forks, instead of pounds like some other lamps. Unsprung weight is one of those things that can have an effect on the fork action. I made my brackets out of scrap aluminum flat bar, 1.5" wide. Stainless steel would probably be better but I didn't have any handy. Aluminum is easier to drill holes/shape then SS is also. Here are a few photos of what they look like. If I can figure out how to post them.

Last edited:

stuna

WOULD THEY NOT BE A LOT BETTER UP ON THE MIRRORS
AS , DOWN LOW HELPS NONE IN TRAFFIC :confused:
THEN IF SOMEONE LOOKED OVER THEY WOULD NOTICE YOU A LOT MORE

owldaddy

The mirrors don't have a flat area to mount the LED's to. As I stated, I was looking to help cagers see me to prevent them turning left in front of me. This particular accident happens less in town as it does on the open road, also I don't live in a congested area, traffic is not a big problem for me. That being said, I like the idea of changing the mirrors for those with lights installed, even though they are amber in color and less noticeable. Anything that will attract attention is a bonus. Why not do both?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the idea of the added light and visibility factor. It looks good!

However, I kinda agree with stuna because I'm not sure how many drivers are focused on a point that close to the road surface. Maybe you could get creative and find a way to integrate some LEDs into the stock mirrors. :don'tknow:

owldaddy

I should add that this mod cost $20 for those who are on a budget. I did have the flat bar and the wire taps on hand, if you include their costs, I'm guessing this could be done for less then $30.

TigerGenetics

I am seeing nothing but boxes saying the picture has been removed :confused:

owldaddy

I did move them to another folder, perhaps that screwed things up, I'll try again.

These LED's are so bright, they hurt the eyes when viewed from a short distance. I don't think the photos do them justice. BTW I bought them on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260611013835&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT. I did add a short piece of heat shrink over the end close to the pod, the wires were not covered with heat shrink there and I wanted them to be covered and protected. Also I wired them to the blinker running lights, so they come on when the key is turned on, if you want to control them with a switch I see no reason one couldn't be installed in the circuit. Since I run my driving lights on the BMW all the time, I intended to run these all the time as well. BTW no one has ever turned left in front of me after I installed the driving lights on the BMW. I also used those lights for added visibility at night, since I worked night shifts for 30 years, this was important to me in those days. Those lamps are 55 watt halogens. The BMW has a 700 watt alternator, so the extra currant draw wasn't an issue, the 6R alternator puts out about half that wattage. The LED's were not intended to be used as night driving lights, and I have not tested them to see how well they work in that use. I can tell you they light up my garage pretty well when it is dark inside.

Last edited:

TigerGenetics

Looks nice. I like the look.

bigpish13

was it hard to wire in? if you don't mind, please tell us the how to step by step if you don't mind. I am electrically inept. I do a lot of night riding as well. This def would be a plus for me if I can manage to install it. Thank's!:)

owldaddy

It was easy to wire up. I just tapped the blue/red wire running to the left blinker with a Scotchlok wire tap for 22 gauge wire. This tap is easy to use, you just have to remove some of the sheath, (I used a razor blade) and clamp on the tap. If you have not used these taps before I submit this link. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAgrevpkKJs&feature=related]YouTube - Scotch Lock Wiring Connector - etrailer.com[/ame]
I'd be interested in how it works at night, so give us some feedback when you do the install. BTW LED's can be very directional, meaning they have to aimed in the general direction that you wish to illuminate. So facing them forward and up a couple degrees seems to work well when mounting them low on the forks as I have. I aimed mine up about 3 degrees off level. The hardest part was making the brackets. I mounted mine on the reflector bolt. The bracket is just 1.5" flat bar aluminum shaped with a file to fit the curve of the LED pod on one side, and I cut a tab, drilled a hole to mount it through the reflector bolt then bent the tab 90 degrees. When bending aluminum you have to be careful not to bend it to far as it will crack at the bend. The pod is mounted with the foam tape they provide, then I drilled a couple small holes to secure it with the screws provided as well. I wish I had taken pics of the brackets as I was making them now. 20/20 hindsight.... It was pretty straight forward stuff though. Wiring the LED's to the blinker/running lamp wire means that as soon as you turn on the key, the LED's light up. They draw so little power that the blinker lamp is not effected. If you want to have more control over the LED's you can wire a switch in the circuit and mount it where ever you wish, since I intend to use these all the time, I found the blinker tap to be perfect for my needs.

bigpish13

Finally got some time to install the LEd's. I got the yellow ones instead of the whites. It's definitely intense light. As I have mentioned, I do a lot of night driving. As far as adding brightness, eh, not so much. But it does give me more of a visual imprint esp at night. The order comes in a 4 pack, so I placed the last one on the plate holder. Thank you Owldaddy for the idea.:) I mounted mine on the sliders and one under the headlight area.

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I bet you are going to cause the 911 call centers to be flooded with UFO sightings!! :rof:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

owldaddy

Ya those LEDs are pretty bright. I have since tried them at night. I asked the wife to stand on the road so I could find out if she thought I would blind on coming traffic. She tells me that they did not cause her concern about blinding others on the road, but that they showed up well. I don't see much as far as added light down on the road, so I wouldn't install them thinking they will fill in where the headlight has gaps. I intended to only aid in others coming toward me, to see me. I think they do that job well. I'm glad your happy with the mod bigpish13.

latony007

Ya those LEDs are pretty bright. I have since tried them at night. I asked the wife to stand on the road so I could find out if she thought I would blind on coming traffic. She tells me that they did not cause her concern about blinding others on the road, but that they showed up well. I don't see much as far as added light down on the road, so I wouldn't install them thinking they will fill in where the headlight has gaps. I intended to only aid in others coming toward me, to see me. I think they do that job well. I'm glad your happy with the mod bigpish13.
i did something similar, i dont ride a lot at night but when i do i want to be seen.

Attachments

Cstewart101

Just finished installing these 2 led lights. Lights up well. Fills in the cap between head light and ground. Noticeable at night. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408697037.925627.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408697047.713839.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408697059.481720.jpg

One picture is a close up of the led light. One is without the Hid on and the other has all 3 on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latony007

anyone check to see if those bright white at oncoming are legal? im sure it depends on your state but alot have restrictions on what kind of lights you can put on.

Cstewart101

Generally there only used at night with minimal cars. Like after midnight. They are angled more towards the ground. But I use my best judgement as to when to have them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member