Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

whiting57

but as most here can attest it's worth every penny. Most are paying for the sound, not the HP.
So $129 for a claimed sound gain is worst than $800 for a louder sound gain :eek: Im confused ...

I've dropped around 20 lbs from mods to my bike. The 5 hp or so gain plus reduction in weight does make a difference when you consider how much the bike weighs and the stock hp. The hp to weight ration shoots up nicely.
On a claimed wet weight of 470 lbs, the stock 64HP(according to most dyno's i have seen) HP / weight ratio is 7.34 lbs per HP.

On a stripped bike of 20 lbs (450lbs) adding 5 extra Hp (to 71) gives the power to weight ratio of 6.33 LBS to 1 HP....

A difference of 1 LB per HP .. sure your bike weighs less than stock, but a stock system on a 20lb lighter stock bike would also decrease the lbs vs HP (7.03 lbs to 1 HP)as well.

Unless you get a nice increase in Torque, you really havent gained much more than noise for your $800.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

whiting57

Like I said, most if not all change their exhaust for the sound change. The HP gain is a nice side affect. I personally did the mod for the sound first and foremost. No one said you have to change your exhaust. So are you saying we're all stupid for upgrading our exhaust? You can do a very cheap exhaust by buying a R6 header and adding a slip on or modding the stock muffler for free. Thanks for working out the math for me since I am tired. I see your point, but to me it was worth it. I paid less than $600 for my exhaust and think it looks 100 times better and sounds 1000 times better. :D
Not at all,
I'm sure they sucker enough people though.
was your quote not mine .... i think that value is subjective and asthetics is in the eyes of the purchaser.

I have nothing against T/Bros, and purchased one of their slip ons before (see pic) But i have nothing against the C / Werkes slip on either. It is what it is, a cosmetic slip on with a claimed DB uncrease. It may appeal to some, and not to others. Im not sure you are a sucker if you (have)purchase one though.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Nitrocan

I was contemplating getting a little louder exhaust. I personally am not to concerned with the power increase. I have always believed if you want something faster or more powerful, just go and buy something else.

I'm not sure if I want my bike louder or not. Sure the extra sound may help warn some cagers, but the quiet sound may be less annoying on long hauls.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

whiting57

On a different note, did you get your 6R yet?
No, not yet ... i have both of my current bikes (and trailer) on consignment at my dealer. He has a couple of people looking at them tomorrow. The last 5 days here in Ontario have been light snow, rain and hail, so interest in bikes has been slow at best. I hope to be up and running in a few weeks, I have a few goodies that i am waiting to order, some paint work will have to be done on a hugger and givi v35 and top case color plates ... this bike will be a week ender and a "mid range" sport tourer if the need arises.

My past bike history has been in the Sport tourer - cruiser touring gendre
( see my home page pics), i am looking for a change, and after a lot of research, the 6R keeps rising to the top. Luggage, a sprocket change, gel seat and i will be good to go.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

whiting57

Was that a Suzuki GSX650F in the pic?
yes.... the gsx650f and the gsx1250f have a lot of x over parts .. hence the Suzuki / givi luggage on the 650. I got the 650 after selling my 1250 to buy a (gulp) cruiser. Missed the sport side of riding and got the 650. Sold that and got my other (gulp) cruiser. My riding time has changed due to the advent of 2 foster kids in our household. I want something to ride with limited time with out having a whole lot of $$$'s tied up in bikes. Hence, both the cruisers are going, and the 6R will be in, My days of 2 week 6000 mile plus trips every year is over.:(

I enjoy the "bolt on" modification process and none of my past bike were anything like they were when they came from the showroom.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bloodypulp

6R has lots of mods available now, and plenty of them are free or cheap (except exhaust - unless you do it totally yourself). I've modded a ton on my 6R, some for performance, some just because of preference. All you have to do is search and I'm sure it's been done here. Got my bike a year ago and love it more than the day I got it.
Totally agree!