Custom garage door opener in the dummy button

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, I have finished wiring a garage door opener into the dummy button.

Here is the remote that I bought from Home Depot for just over $30. It uses Intellicode, so it can be programed to any opener that is also Intellicode compatible.

I opened the case and began to test the connections to see which combination would open the door. Then I soldered two leads, one to each contact point.

Next step was to find a suitable location on the bike that will be out of the way and hopefully protected from the elements. I chose a location under the dash and used a plastic wire stay through the keyring hole to mount it.

I then ran the wires under the dash and along an existing wire loom, up the frame and to the left control housing. I used a metal coat hanger stretched out to pull the wires through the existing insulation. Make sure to leave enough slack that the wires won't be pulled taught or pinched when the handlebars are turned to full lock in BOTH directions.

There are two screws under the controls housing that keeps it together. I undid these and pulled the wires into the housing.

The next step was to prepare the switch I was going to use. xplodnstar provided a link in the dummy button thread, so I am not going to post it here. (search function people :p) I wanted to use the original "button" but it didn't work out the way I hoped. So I cut it off and used a red plastic cap that I had in my junk drawer. I drilled a hole large enough for the switch to fit and then super-glued the plastic cap to the back portion of the dummy button.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I soldered the leads to the momentary switch and wrapped them separately in electrical tape to prevent shorting the switch. Then I wrapped them together for strength.

Finally, I pushed the switch into place and put the control housing back together on the handlebar.

It works like a charm and I couldn't be much happier with the way it turned out!! :thumbup:

Yone

VERY NICE! I'm gonna be doing this in the next week or so!

I have an older (1999+) garage door opener. Do anyone know how I can tell if it's Intellicode compatible?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
VERY NICE! I'm gonna be doing this in the next week or so!

I have an older (1999+) garage door opener. Do anyone know how I can tell if it's Intellicode compatible?
That shouldn't be a problem, my door opener is from before 1991. Get a step ladder and look at the back of the opener. If it is Intellicode compatible, there will be a push button that says something like "code" or "program" or "learn" something similar. Right next to that button will be a LED light. If your opener is not compatible, you will likely see a a place with a bunch of tiny switches, all in a row. They will probably be numbered 1-9 or 1-12.

Here is an example of an opener with the learn button and LED light marked.
http://www.geniedoor.com/uploads/lrn-bttn---text-0.jpg

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Nice work and great pics! Thanks for the excellent write-up!

That steak is making me hungry too and only $1.77 a lb? ;)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work and great pics! Thanks for the excellent write-up!

That steak is making me hungry too and only $1.77 a lb? ;)
Subliminal advertising at its finest! :p

Yone

Sweet! ! ! Can't wait to get started on mine.

calltrex

great idea. if no one gets a hold of it and robs your garage.

i just have my bike keys on the keychain remote.

joloy133

Great write up..........Thanks. I plan to adapt the button for LED effects when/if I get around to them or maybe the fork mounted running lights I'm thinking of. The pics are extremely :thumbup:helpful also.......good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
great idea. if no one gets a hold of it and robs your garage.

i just have my bike keys on the keychain remote.
Well, the only people that know what the button is for are you guys...:cool: So as long as my fellow FZ6R-ers don't come down and rob me, it's all good! :p

evanc

What complication meant you couldn't use the stock button that is in there? I love the idea but wanted to keep that nice clean stock button.

Thanks for the write-up!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What complication meant you couldn't use the stock button that is in there? I love the idea but wanted to keep that nice clean stock button.

Thanks for the write-up!
As I was slowly drilling the inside diameter larger to fit the switch inside, the drill bit grabbed too much plastic. This caused the main button housing to crack. I didn't want to use it after this in case water could get inside and cause a short.

xplodnstar

The stock button is usable if you are able to widen the hole carefully. Best if you have a dremmel.

Chaosratt

Hm, first post over here (came to check out your mods, regsitered to see the pics), so this is the first time I've head of that "dummy button"

On the FZ6, that is the location of the hazard switch. Have you guys considered snagging an FZ6 switch housing and just taping into that (preexisting) switch? Would look 'stock'. The housings LOOK the same to me.

xplodnstar

Hm, first post over here (came to check out your mods, regsitered to see the pics), so this is the first time I've head of that "dummy button"

On the FZ6, that is the location of the hazard switch. Have you guys considered snagging an FZ6 switch housing and just taping into that (preexisting) switch? Would look 'stock'. The housings LOOK the same to me.
Personally, I feel that I use the garage door opener a lot more tan I would use hazard lights. It's definitely feasible to swap housings, but it all depends on what your needs are.

I am especially missing my garage door opener right now. I don't have it on my 250 and I have to get off the bike to open the door everyday when I get home.

Chaosratt

Personally, I feel that I use the garage door opener a lot more tan I would use hazard lights. It's definitely feasible to swap housings, but it all depends on what your needs are.

I am especially missing my garage door opener right now. I don't have it on my 250 and I have to get off the bike to open the door everyday when I get home.
You misunderstand. I doubt the FZ6R has the relays to operate a hazard function, I merely meant getting an FZ6 switch housing and using the hazard button to do whatever you want. To someone else, the button looks like a normal hazard button, but to you its a garage door opener.

Only problem I foresee is that the button is a toggle (push it and it stays on, push it again to disable.)

xplodnstar

You misunderstand. I doubt the FZ6R has the relays to operate a hazard function, I merely meant getting an FZ6 switch housing and using the hazard button to do whatever you want. To someone else, the button looks like a normal hazard button, but to you its a garage door opener.

Only problem I foresee is that the button is a toggle (push it and it stays on, push it again to disable.)
I tried looking for a hazard button before I cut into my stock one. I did not see the point in spending $60 for a housing so that I could get just a button out of it. And the button is not available by itself.

As it stands, the button looks stock, and I'm okay with that. Unlikely that someone is gonna go snooping to see if it does anything, it won't unless the bike is home anyway. At that point the bike would be IN the garage or getting a bath in the driveway.

Heineken

Elite Member

calltrex

I would like to do the same thing but I would like to have that garage opener actuate only when the headlights are on. I'll research adding a N.O. relay or something in series with the switch leg of the circuit.

xplodnstar you got a point in the above post, but I would like that button to have a fail safe. :)
I didnt want to cut into the factory wires.. then u have to run wires...

FJRGuy

Ok... another revival... :zombie:
but this time on purpose, for the benefit of others searching for this type of info.

Well, the only people that know what the button is for are you guys...:cool: So as long as my fellow FZ6R-ers don't come down and rob me, it's all good! :p
Just us and anyone that sees you open your garage and has a look at your bike at some later time. Criminals, while generally stupid, can be very observant.

A simple $6 solution is to add a relay that breaks the switch circuit when the bike is turned off. Although, if you're really anal, like I am, you actually remove the batteries and power the remote from a switched voltage source (stepped down to the appropriate voltage, 3V in my case.)