Custom Fz6r

vitrox

work in progress..

Obviously there is no front end on the bike. In order to get the r6 forks on there I had to take the r6 lower triple and have it machined to fit inside the headstock on the fz6r. I don't get it back until tomorrow.

Other mods, vortex swingarm spools, drilled/tapped then backed with a 6mm nut inside the arm.

2008 R1 stock rearsets, I had these laying around from my r1 and the fz's shift arm and rod was bent, so I just replaced everything with the r1 parts. I used one of the shift rods that came with my bazzaz traction control unit for the r1. The rear master cylinder bolts right up to the r1 rearsets. They aren't fully attached to the bike yet. I'm going to cut the factory brackets on both sides with a plasma cutter and clean them up a bit to lower weight. I also have a hydraulic brake switch for the rear I need to install, because I don't think the factory one will bolt in.

The fairing stay was cut and modified quite a bit, the bike will be naked, so no need for all that extra metal on there. Still need to figure out a mount for some led headlights and turn signals.

and this is where it stands at the moment.

travstoll

:steve::steve::steve:

impressive....I love these kind of threads. Can't wait to see the finished product.

joloy133

I was thinking about cutting the back of the swingarm to put a different end like the extensions for drag racing. Would you know if that mod would work? Looking forward to follow the build of your custom.

travstoll

I was thinking about cutting the back of the swingarm to put a different end like the extensions for drag racing. Would you know if that mod would work? Looking forward to follow the build of your custom.
:spank:

Please don't do that to your beautiful motorbike..lol. Seriously though, FZ6R for drag racing? It tops at 130 or something like that...you will get smoked every time. But if you are dead set on doing it, cutting the swingarm is about the worst way to do it. Most people completely replace the swingarm with something like this This gives the swingarm structural integrity more so than if you were to just cut and weld or even bolt extensions on to it.

Hopefully I didn't discourage you too much...most of the time you just don't see 600's, especially one with this low of a top end with swingarm extensions, because they serve no real purpose.

vitrox

i would talk to roaring toyz and see if they have extensions out yet. The swingarm is pretty basic, its just hollow square tubing it seems. I don't see why you couldn't extended it on the cheap. Custom is best. :)

vitrox

Nice man! Do those R1 rearsets bolt on with no modification or are you going to have to do something special?
the top bolt goes in just fine, but the bottom bolt doesn't line up with anything. The plate that the rearsets mount onto is 1/4" steel though, no reason why you can't just drill it out and tap a new hole, which is what i'm doing. Make sure to use loctite, they had red on the factory bolts. I'm not sure which shift rod you would use though. The one I have came with a quickshifter kit for my r1, and it was leftover. I'll check the measurements on it and maybe someone can run to a shop with a tape and see which bike has a similar length.

joloy133

:spank:

Please don't do that to your beautiful motorbike..lol. Seriously though, FZ6R for drag racing? It tops at 130 or something like that...you will get smoked every time. But if you are dead set on doing it, cutting the swingarm is about the worst way to do it. Most people completely replace the swingarm with something like this This gives the swingarm structural integrity more so than if you were to just cut and weld or even bolt extensions on to it.

Hopefully I didn't discourage you too much...most of the time you just don't see 600's, especially one with this low of a top end with swingarm extensions, because they serve no real purpose.
It would just replace the neanderthal bolt/plate setup, strictly for looks. Some of these end pieces already have the spool connections. If they are strong enough for "busa's" to drag at high HP, I thought they'd be OK for our stock bikes. The finished length would be stock dimensions.

travstoll

It would just replace the neanderthal bolt/plate setup, strictly for looks. Some of these end pieces already have the spool connections. If they are strong enough for "busa's" to drag at high HP, I thought they'd be OK for our stock bikes. The finished length would be stock dimensions.
I guess I am not envisioning what you are thinking...got a pic of the part you are thinking of using or a drawing?

Sorry Vitrox if we are totally thread-jacking this thread from you...lay down the law and make joloy start his own thread lol...:D

MikeN02

I cried a little...

Love the new peg plates shifter whatnot, dunno what they're called. I think it's the rearset bolts?

joloy133

travstoll

rob123

does any one knows how much new tanks cost? Because i was thinking of getting it airbrushed and having my helmet to match it.

vitrox

yah, updates

so.. the smog plates on the valve cover, those are the exact same size as the r1 plates, which are in the photo. I ordered the graves smog block off plates for the fz6r. So now you all know. Those with aftermarket exhausts, this is a great cheap mod to eliminate exhaust popping, and it makes it easier to tune it.
The R1 rearsets are now fully installed. The rear brake light switch was taken out (i don't use it anyways). I did a bit of comparison, the stock r1 shift rod is about 2" too long for this bike, so you guys will have to find a different one if you plan on doing this mod. You will also need to hack up your factory shift rod or buy the knuckle off an r6/r1. The fz6r shift rod threads into the knuckle, whereas the r1/r6 threads onto it. Anyways, only had to drill one hole and the rearsets mounted right up.
I also popped the dent out of the gas tank, didn't take a photo of it though. I used an air nozzle and rag and filled the gas tank up with air and the dent popped right out.
The controls in the photo are from an r6, The factory switches had a bit of rash on them so I replaced em with the r6 parts. Was almost plug and play. The plugs are identical where they connect to the bike, with the exception of the clutch switch. There is also no wire for the low beam activation. On the r6 the low beam is always on so there is no need for that wire. I just jumped the factory wiring over on the bike side of the plug. I think it was green over to the blue/black wire.

Last edited:

MikeN02

Can't wait to see the finished product. Also please include the price of all the equipment/hour of labor etc so we can all see if it's worth it or not.

vitrox

for sure.. just ordered an 07 r6 front wheel and rotors today. still waiting on the machine shop for the steering stem.. and my smog plates should be here any day. i also just put in a new neutral safety switch, mine was bad, the ball bearing in the end of it got stuck in and the spring didn't work on it anymore. at least now i have a neutral light again.

also, i'm collecting quite the parts list of stuff i've taken off this bike. If anyone needs some parts, pm me..

headlight (small scuff on the lower left part of it)
oem forks, both bent, but the internals are probably still good.
oem brakes, lever is scratched, but the rest is good, its both calipers and master cylinder.
oem front wheel w/rotors. wheel has a 1" nick on both lips. tire has 65 miles on it. :)
left handle switches, rashed, but still working.
front fender, rashed but can be re painted.
both sides rearsets, shift lever is bent on one. the other side is perfect.
upper and lower triple clamps, maybe some small scratches on them.
probably some other stuff, but i can't think of it all.

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Are you giving away or selling these parts? I am looking for a donor headlight assembly to retrofit some projectors. Let me know.

vitrox

selling, gotta offset the cost of the build a bit.. :) speaking of the build.. more updates!

Got the steering stem back this morning, the machinist did a great job on it. I had to get the r6 stem machined down to fit inside the fz6r frame, so I had him match the r6 stem threads to the fz threads. I also had a collar made so that it didn't have any play inside the top triple clamp. Only a few issues, the r6 stem isn't quite as long as the fz stem, so I could only use one nut under the top triple clamp, the other wouldn't fit. I used red loctite on the single nut though, so it should be okay without the lock nut. Also, the ignition cylinder doesn't bolt right up, the lock pin housing hits on the frame because the r6 triple is thicker than the fz. I'm going to grind down the mounts on the cylinder so it sits up closer to the stock location, so hopefully the lock pin will still work.

MikeN02

Seems like a lot of work but if anyone messed up their bike it won't be much since you'll be back up and running and possibly look better than stock.

vitrox

its been quite the project, at least if anyone else wants to do it, they'll know what needs to be done.