Custom brake, throttle & clutch cables

fz6rowner

I really like everything about my fz6r except for the discomfort reaching for the handlebars. When I initially bought the bike, I had to almost immediately install the 35mm bikemaster handlebar risers which worked with stock cables. With this minor mod in place, I patiently experimented with all sorts of riding positions, but the distant handle bar was causing me to either hold arms straight, push the crotch up against the tank or thrust my lower back forward - all of which cause pain in respective areas.

To address my discomfort, I want to move the handlebar further back but that would need extended brake, throttle & clutch cables. I was thinking of adding the rox pivoting 3"+ risers to my existing risers to bring the handle bar rearward so that I can be in an upright sitting position in city speeds, and I can always sit farther back if i need to get down into a sport riding position in highway speeds.

Now the question is how and where do I order the custom length cables from? Google search yielded sites like motionpro, spiegler performance, etc, who make the cables based on specified length. But how do I go about figuring out the lengths of these cables? Should I buy the risers first and somehow figure out the lengths?

Last edited:

onetrack97

Measure

I just added a 2" Rox Riser to my wife's FZ6R along with a Madstad windscreen system. To get that done, I had to reverse the front brake line from left to right as others have posted.

I think you're going to need to disconnect all of the lines, move the bars, and measure the extra lengths needed. Sounds like a pain unless you can find someone that's already done it.

I was lucky on my Triumph Tiger 800 XRx. I installed risers from the XCx and then 2" Rox Risers used as a straight pull-back. Just needed some rerouting, no brake tricks or changing cables. Those changes allowed me to sit upright, needed due to my bad shoulder.

You might need to extend the horn cable but that you can do easily.

As far as a source, no clue. You might start with the dealer if your lucky to have a knowledgable parts guy.

Let us know how it comes out.

onetrack97

Brake Line

After looking at my new setup for the front stock brake line, I'm not happy with the clamping. You can't clamp the line at the wheel on the right like it was when on the left. So, I will search for a longer braided line to go back to the original configuration of having the line down to the wheel going to the left side.

I just ordered longer braided lines from

Custom Lines

They use Galfer lines. The guy I spoke with used to work at Galfer. Just tell him what you want and he'll do it. $110

Last edited: