Crush washer

crs5011

Getting ready to change the oil for the first service. I keep seeing differing opinions on the crush washer. Unfortunately, it's not a convienent trip to the yamaha dealership,especially for something that costs less than $2. However there is a cycle gear right down the road. I picked up some M14 oil drain gaskets. They look like standard washers. Are these the right things or should I take them back and just make a trip to the dealer?

Attachments

Yeah, the Yamaha crush washers are a horizontally split, "hollow" washer that easily crushes. However, the solid ones should be OK. I believe they are a new style which many manufacturers are using. They're made of a softer metal than standard washers, so they will slightly crush and should be fine. Just double-check for leaks after you're done, and be careful of over tightening!

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Bozman

Better make sure it's a crush style. They are two different types of metal and are designed for one time use only. You may not ever have an oil leak, but one day that bolt won't tighten. The threads pull back in the oil pan and cause this to happen over an extended period of time. ALWAYS use one regardless. Unless you have a lot of $ and want to buy an oil pan eventually.