Cowling Patch Up?

Sienna318

Hey guys, last week I managed to do a little damage to my bike while riding "the tail" down in NC. The bike went down, and I decided to follow...

Thankfully, my FZ6R took it like a champ and had minimal damage. Mirrors and windscreen need replaced (easy) but the left side cowling got pushed in, and one of the bolts on the inside protruded through. Once I got all the screws off, it was something of an effort to pry the cowling off the bolt. That material really likes to hold it's form!

I can live with it as-is over the cost of buying all new cowling ($300+) and bending it back has proven itself not to be an option. I had also thought about cleanly cutting it out and using some form of carbon tape to do a patch job. Maybe even order some new decals, and it will never even be seen.

At this point in time though, I have not done anything to it yet, and thought I would take some suggestions. I will post a pic as soon as I can. She is currently resting in my buddy's garage while the new parts are being shipped.

Any thoughts?...

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Sienna318

Thanks!

I didn't put too much effort in looking to replace the whole panel yet. If it were more of a safety/riding interference/falling off situation, yeah definitely, but there were already some discreet dings from the previous owner before I ever did anything to it.

Normally though I see these things as an opportunity, and what I would really like to do is rip it all off and do a custom job, but that would be more of a winter project.

dIGITAL dISCIPLE

You can easily do the decal route, but it might be good to keep an eye out for the cowling so you need on ebay. When you find one priced right, snatch it up!

I'm gonna probably be doing the same thing with some of ones with designs on them.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your bike!