Couple Oil Questions

WarEagle07

Hey guys just had a couple oil questions..

1. What size oil filter wrench do I need for the factory filter?
2. I ordered some Lucas High Performance 20W50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil to do the change with. Has anyone ever used Lucas Oil? If so would you recommend it?

Superfly

I used a FLOTOOL supergraphite #5 I bought at walmart however it wasn't really up to the job of removing the factory filter...that sucker was on TIGHT. I ended up getting it off by doubling up some sandpaper and wrapping the filter and the wrench up with it so that the sandy part contacted the insides of the filter wrench and on the oil filter at the same time. I had to jam the wrench on the filter and then it came off.

5 PC. FLOTOOL SUPER GRAPHITE FILTER WRENCHES *USA MADE*

There are other stories on here somewhere about removing the filter the first time. I dont recommend punching a hole in the filter and using a screw driver but others have. Your Yamaha dealer might sell the right wrench...

And regarding Lucas oil products your best reference on the web IMO is www.bobistheoilguy.com

Search that and see what comes up. There is a section for motorcycles and they are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to oil. Its going to shock you at the stuff these guys talk about.

Me personally - at 1000km I put in ROTELLA T 15W40 from advice from that website. Its not synthetic but its in the HDEO class. Thats Heavy-Duty Engine Oil. It has the JASO-MA rating now so its good for wet clutches. Seems to work well for me so far and its cheaper than most. There is a full synthetic ROTELLA version in 5w40. Might try that too. The beauty of these ROTELLA oils is that for the price nothing can touch them and in many cases they are better than the super expensive exotic oils...

I might give AMSOIL a go too. I liked that alot in my other bike...its just pricey...

Let us know how your filter comes off...

WarEagle07

Thanks! the auto part store sells individual wrenches so ill go pick up a #5 and give it a shot..

stuna

Hey guys just had a couple oil questions..

1. What size oil filter wrench do I need for the factory filter?
2. I ordered some Lucas High Performance 20W50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil to do the change with. Has anyone ever used Lucas Oil? If so would you recommend it?
why 20-50 :confused:. its not a harley . it a liquid cooled, hi tec motor .. cars are useing 0-20

arkkornkid

I imagine Alabama is just a bit warmer than Wisconsin, so the low (W)inter number doesn't really matter to us Southern guys.

WarEagle07

it was in the 80s today and its only April haha. 20w50 is pretty standard. I live at the beach in alabama a stones throw from florida.

dxtreme

Is it really Ok to use Rotella T 15W-40 for the first oil change? I wonder if this will slower the seating of the ring?
My bike is at 597 miles now and it sits in the garage waiting for the oil change. Also, must wait for the motorcycle stand as well... Without it... can't do a thing.
So Superfly, do you have good result for the first oil change with it? The Rotella T is still a conventional oil so I think it should be okay for the first oil change. Unlike synthetic though, can only be used around 8-12k miles down the road.
So everyone, open my eyes with your knowledge! :D

Spunky99

Is it really Ok to use Rotella T 15W-40 for the first oil change? I wonder if this will slower the seating of the ring?
My bike is at 597 miles now and it sits in the garage waiting for the oil change. Also, must wait for the motorcycle stand as well... Without it... can't do a thing.
So Superfly, do you have good result for the first oil change with it? The Rotella T is still a conventional oil so I think it should be okay for the first oil change. Unlike synthetic though, can only be used around 8-12k miles down the road.
I used Motul 10-40 organic oil for the first 1200 miles. I changed the oil after 100 miles and it was filthy and full of metal dust but then I broke it in like I stole it. Changed at 100, 600 and 1000. I changed to Amsoil 10-40 at 1200 miles and the bike is perfect. Expensive yes but I am very hard on my engine and I wanted it clean and properly lubricated during break-in....

Roaddawg

You don't need a rear stand to do the oil change. It' actually better to do it on the side stand so that all the oil will drain out. If it's upright, you won't get that little last bit out. I don't use a rear stand for oil changes, just chain lubing/tightening. BTW, I use the Rotella since my 4k change (I think) and have been very happy with it. I don't know about at 600 miles though. Very controversial topic there.

dxtreme

Again... oil change :D

I used Motul 10-40 organic oil for the first 1200 miles. I changed the oil after 100 miles and it was filthy and full of metal dust but then I broke it in like I stole it. Changed at 100, 600 and 1000. I changed to Amsoil 10-40 at 1200 miles and the bike is perfect. Expensive yes but I am very hard on my engine and I wanted it clean and properly lubricated during break-in....
Sure is... It's expensive... Just think to use Yamalube + K&N oil filter for the first couple thousand miles and switch to Rotella T though...

You don't need a rear stand to do the oil change. It' actually better to do it on the side stand so that all the oil will drain out. If it's upright, you won't get that little last bit out. I don't use a rear stand for oil changes, just chain lubing/tightening. BTW, I use the Rotella since my 4k change (I think) and have been very happy with it. I don't know about at 600 miles though. Very controversial topic there.
Sound good to me... But ain't that the drain plug is somewhat at the middle of the pan? Haven't checked it yet? :) I'll do it this Saturday for sure, so will figure out which one is better. Rotella T has so many debate lately but I hope it still is a good oil for motorcycle. :D

Thank you very much guys! :)

Roaddawg

Sound good to me... But ain't that the drain plug is somewhat at the middle of the pan? Haven't checked it yet? :) I'll do it this Saturday for sure, so will figure out which one is better. Rotella T has so many debate lately but I hope it still is a good oil for motorcycle. :D

Thank you very much guys! :)
I'm on my seventh oil change on this bike. Trust me, your gonna get more oil out on the side stand. The angle the drain plug comes out is towards the sidestand. The only problem I get is the side stand getting in the way of the draining oil. Be prepared for that. So, sometimes I will start draining the oil and take the filter off while on the rear stand, and THEN move it to the side stand to get the remaining oil out.

As for the Rotella debate, if you go on their website, they say its good for motorcycles again. There was a little window of time where they didn't have the right marking on the label depicting the oil to not have fiction modifiers in it (which is bad to have for motorcylce clutches), but its good now. Here's a couple links from thier offical website:

Rotella.com Q & A

- Frequently Asked Questions

Hope this helps you out.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member