Cost for first service

M

Mikeinho

With labor rates anywhere from $60 to $100 an hour for labor it doesn't take long to rack up a big bill in just labor costs...

The warranty will still be in effect if you do it yourself. Just hang on to the reciept showing where you used oil(s) that met specifications and your good to go, if it should ever be called into question. Which is doubtful.

Bruce
Do you mind if I ask what your source is for this info?

My dealer told me that Yamaha would NOT follow-up the warranty unless I had the service carried out by them.

Is he talking out his exhaust pipe?

W

wolfc70

Do you mind if I ask what your source is for this info?

My dealer told me that Yamaha would NOT follow-up the warranty unless I had the service carried out by them.

Is he talking out his exhaust pipe?
Most likely, yes, he is talking out of his exhaust pipe. Yamaha can not void the warranty unless what the owner did caused the damage. Like say, doing an oil change and not putting the oil in and going for a test ride. In that case, the warranty will be voided, because the owner was negligent. If you put proper oil in, and use a decent filter, and do a through check over, you will be fine. Yamaha has to prove that what you did or did not do caused a failure. The Magnuson-Moss act prevents Yamaha from voiding warranty form not using OEM parts.

EDIT: I just saw that you are in the U.K. You may want to check with any consumer protection agency, as to what legalities there are concerning warranty coverage. You may have to go to the dealer, or not. I am not that well versed in U.K. law.

08fz6

Most likely, yes, he is talking out of his exhaust pipe. Yamaha can not void the warranty unless what the owner did caused the damage. Like say, doing an oil change and not putting the oil in and going for a test ride. In that case, the warranty will be voided, because the owner was negligent. If you put proper oil in, and use a decent filter, and do a through check over, you will be fine. Yamaha has to prove that what you did or did not do caused a failure. The Magnuson-Moss act prevents Yamaha from voiding warranty form not using OEM parts.

EDIT: I just saw that you are in the U.K. You may want to check with any consumer protection agency, as to what legalities there are concerning warranty coverage. You may have to go to the dealer, or not. I am not that well versed in U.K. law.
I agree, Over here Yamaha could void your warranty if you didn't use their filter and oil and didn't put the correct amount in etc..... Could didn't say would!

Chip

Just brought in my bike today at 615 miles. They quoted me $250. I had a 15% off coupon that expired in January, but they still gave me 10% of whatever the final will be...

flyingminno

Just brought in my bike today at 615 miles. They quoted me $250. I had a 15% off coupon that expired in January, but they still gave me 10% of whatever the final will be...
If you have the tools, and are somewhat mechanically inclined, just do it yourself.

vitrox

usually costs me about 60 bucks per oil change and I do the labor myself.
1 gallon amsoil, $45
1 K&N oil filter, $14

MikeN02

Sounds about right, that's about how much I paid. I just let them do my first service so they check everything to see if anything's wrong etc. Next service at 4k i'll do it myself from then on

Chip

Yea, perhaps I'll look into doing it myself... I am only afraid of messing up some cable and putting myself in danger on the road!

flyingminno

Yea, perhaps I'll look into doing it myself... I am only afraid of messing up some cable and putting myself in danger on the road!
There is not really a whole lot you can mess up. If you change the filter and put the correct amount of oil then that is half the job done right there.

bmw675

usually costs me about 60 bucks per oil change and I do the labor myself.
1 gallon amsoil, $45
1 K&N oil filter, $14
K&N is only 14? wow. i guess i got taken by the shop where i got my stock filter than. i could have saved a couple bucks and got a better filter. :mad:

pilninggas

i have followed this thread for a while now, and thought i'd chip in from a UK perspective. Here the first service is labour free, so long as you take it back the dealer you bought the bike from. Also yamaha gave me a voucher for 1 free litre (quart) of yamalube. I think the total cost was £28 - $43US, plus i didn't even have to get the tool box out.;)

sometimes rip-off britain ain't so bad..........:iconbeer:

geko

And in the UK at least the service intervals on the XJ6 variants are 6,000 miles so the service costs are less mile for mile.

Roaddawg

It costs me about $20 to do an oil change. i recently bought 6 - Purolator Pure One oil filters (which are high quality) on Amazon for $28 for the six. I then get the Castrol semi-synthetic oil from Cyclegear when it's on sale for $4.99. Bike runs great on all and can't get much cheaper than that for a quality oil change.

Verranth

my first service at the dealer was $155
For my FJR1300, i did it at home. $50 :p (oil, washers, oil filter, filter wrench)

FZ6R 6K mile checkup is yet to be done...thinking I will have the dealer deal with the throttle bodies and such...although...i should probably just go out and buy my own tools. There is a good write-up and it doesnt look too hard =)

TOMIK

I just did my son's 09 R6 same filter as fz6r, $12.00 Yamaha filttet and I used Valvolin 10-40 Motrcycle oil for $4.77, next week I have to do mine I have only got 225 mils.

CDN6R

Had my 1st service done last week at just under 600 miles(973KMS). It took the dealer less than hour, changed the oil(Yamalube),new filter(O.E.) adjusted the chain,and lubed it also checked all the lights to make sure they worked and took it out for a little "test" ride in thr parking lot. All the the sum of $78.00 CDN.:thumbup:

Back To Reality

Got mine for free...in a manner of speaking.

When I bought the bike, after I talked the dealer down as far as I could and couldn't get them to budge another penny, I told him that it was important to me to at least feel like I was getting a deal, and I didn't feel like I was getting a deal.

So I asked for them to waive labor for lowering it and to discount the link (I already knew what a link cost), and for first service to be included in the current price.

They agreed. I think it was worth the effort even though I think I only won about $13 bucks off the cost of the link, but I suspect I saved a few bucks on labor.

posterchild2

Basically paid for an hour and 1/2 of labor for a damn oil change. Came out to about $130 bucks. It's funny because the guys called me back and said it was ready in less than an hour and 1/2, so who knows. My next 4k mile srevice is going to cost me about $200. Probably for another oil change.