Cost for first service

08fz6

My first service was about $65. The dealership Where I bought mine if you bring the survey you get in the mail from yamaha into them so they can mail it for you they give you one hell of a deal on your first service.
Wow now thats low..... Must be they do alot of shady stuff to need to do that..... You do realize that they put 100% positives on that. So now if anyone has a problem Yamaha will look at that and say we don't understand everyone else has given them 100% positive remarks must be you not them.......

MNDZA

Is the first service really different from the rest? It seems like alot of people have the first service done at the dealer then do the rest on their own.. Is it wise to have a pro look at it after 600 miles just to verify everything is ok? I planned on doing 100% of everything myself, but this post has got me thinking..
I plan on doing the rest myself, but wanted to make sure the bike was put together soundly from the start so it was better to have professionals look at it until I learn my way around a bike.

lil-hwe

Maybe higher costs are including the valve clearance check too? I think My dealership says that should be done after 5 or 600 too with first checkup.

bigguybbr

The dealer I brought mine to "tried" to charge me $212 for my first service. When I read down the list of services I noticed a charge for carb cleaning.

After I threw a fit loud enough for everyone on the sales floor to hear them getting called a bunch of crooks, and asking if my bike is fuel injected, what the hell carb were they cleaning, all of a sudden my bill went down to $120.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The dealer I brought mine to "tried" to charge me $212 for my first service. When I read down the list of services I noticed a charge for carb cleaning.

After I threw a fit loud enough for everyone on the sales floor to hear them getting called a bunch of crooks, and asking if my bike is fuel injected, what the hell carb were they cleaning, all of a sudden my bill went down to $120.
Man, that's f'ed up! :eek::spank:

Glad to see that you set them straight though.

BTW, :welcome:

Roaddawg

Maybe higher costs are including the valve clearance check too? I think My dealership says that should be done after 5 or 600 too with first checkup.
Sounds like your dealer is pulling your leg too. Read the owners manual, the first valve adjustment isn't until 26,000 miles. Up until then, it's pretty much just oil changes and chain tightening/lube. That was one of the selling points with me was the minimal maintainance of this bike.

unleased1287

wow all those sound like a lot i got my first service done for 65$ including oil, oil filter chain tightening cable tightening and oiled fluids check and brake check done right at my dealership ur first service should be done at 600 miles then the next one done at like 1500 then at 2000 ur forks should be regressed after that u should be good for like till u hit 4000 or so for ur next oil change and chain tighten Suzuki has came right out and said that all there inline 4 cylinders if maintenance right will last for 60,000 miles before anything will go wrong with the engine and im sure Yamaha is just as good with there bikes too so just keep up with the maintenance.

nate

R

Ryan T

Here's my story about my first service visit.

I call and make the appointment at the same dealer that I got the bike from cause they quoted a cheaper price. I let them know that by the time my appointment rolls around (took two weeks) that I'd be over the 600 miles, of course they say no problem.

On my appointment day I drive down and arrive 30 minutes early. I got no where to go and they tell me it's not going to take long. Well, almost 3 hours later they are finally done.

So I get the bill ($121), pay them thinking it's a good thing I had the dealer do the service. I get the invoice and look at what they documented. Yamalube, Yamaha oil filter, and labor for that and clutch freeplay adjustment. This for that amount of money, you got to be kidding me. That's absolutely ludicrous.

Now, I have 6,700 miles on my FZ6 and I've done all the other scheduled maint. myself. I got the service manual and looked in the owners manual on what to do at the 4000 mile mark and just went down the list and cross checking the service manual on how to do each item.

A friend of mine told me this once, "If someone else can do it, I can too".

I normally do my own maint. on my cars but since this is my first motorcycle I was a little leary. No more. I'm mechanically inclined and have most the tools I need, any knowledge I'm lacking in I can get from here or other searches on the internet.

Sorry for the long post. Now if you are uneasy about doing it yourself, then by all means, seek professional assistance.

S

suggy

i just had my first service a couple weeks ago and it cost 146.00 cdn including 5 liters of gas!

bigguybbr

146 Canada Dollars!?!? Thats like 3 dollars and 2 shiny buttons US currency!

Ooter

146 Canada Dollars!?!? Thats like 3 dollars and 2 shiny buttons US currency!
If this is sarcasm of some kind, then my sarcasm-o-meter is seriously off :)

Not sure if you've noticed, but USD:CAD is extremely close now. $1 usd only buys $1.10 cad. For a while last year the canadian dollar was stronger than the us dollar!

cbzdel

Service Manual - $70
(3) Quarts Oil - $15
(1) K&N Oil Filter - $15
Chain Cleaner - $12
Chain Lube - $15

Total $127

From here on out simple dyi services - priceless :thumbup:

C

coreride

I changed my oil at 600 miles and then took the bike in for first service not long after that. so they did not change the oil again so all mine cost was 37 bucks.

cbzdel

I changed my oil at 600 miles and then took the bike in for first service not long after that. so they did not change the oil again so all mine cost was 37 bucks.
what did they do, just lube the chain?

MNDZA

C

Crystal

When I bought mine on sunday they said "couple hundred dollars"

Love that....

F

fz6nick

20 bucks for a Gallon of Rotella T
8 bucks for filter
labor: bit o sweat

S

S.D.Willie

When i bought my bike last weekend i asked the salesman what do they get for their 600 mile service. When he told me around 300 with tax my eyes popped out of my sockets. I did hardly ANY maintenance save for the oil and shaft oil and tires on my vulcan and at 17k miles its been bulletproof. I didnt go to the dealer for the 600 mile service so whats the point with the FZ? One thing i scoffed at though was when i asked him what gets done he told me the throttle bodies get synced. To myself i thought he was b/s-ing so i asked the guy who did the setup on my bike when i got the "walkaround" and he said he didn't know what that salesman is talking about. I dont see anything about the TB's being synced at 600 miles in the manual can anyone back this up? I could see maybe if there was a problem but so far none...............

Thanks.