Cop Shoots & Paralyzes Unarmed Motorcyclist for Life at Traffic Stop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detrich

Some fellow bikers on my RX-8 club forum just posted this video... And, it's scary. The cop basically shoots the biker from behind after he's already stopped- crippling him for life...

Ottawa Hills officer's trial begins, dash cam vid shown | 13abc.com

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100512/NEWS02/5120338

This made we wonder... MSF course didn't teach us what the proper protocol is for when we get pulled over by law enforcement.

We don't have a steering wheel and cabin light to turn on. Do we raise our hands in the air like a stick-up? Or, what is the correct, proper protocol to follow so that we don't get shot like that?

:(

Last edited:

arkkornkid

There's been a discussion about this on another forum I get on....... this is so horrible to watch: shoots the guy right in the spine.

Stop, kickstand down, turn off bike, put hands in the air: at least that's gonna be how I handle the situation from now on.

ArkAngel06

I was thinking if I ever get pulled over, I would probably get off the bike....But they probably wouldn't like that either....I would have to anyways to get my registration and what-not.

I'm curious now too.

joloy133

That is disturbing. I would and will; stop, shut down, keep hands on the bar, and no sudden moves-not even look back. I'd keep both feet down holding bike up too!

bmw675

some may not like going under the seat for registration and insurance, but im sure they would appreciate you taking off your helmet right away.

WarEagle07

i was thinking if i ever get pulled over, i would probably get off the bike....but they probably wouldn't like that either....i would have to anyways to get my registration and what-not.

I'm curious now too.
do not get off of the bike... Or out of your car people trust me

Insure Gal

Couldn't help but notice that in the vid that during cross examination the laywer says "So he drew up his right arm but did nothing with his left arm?

of course he did nothing wth his left hand, he had just come to a stop....his flippin clutch leaver was engaged!

arkkornkid

I'm just a BIG believer of making the cop's job as easy as possible. Not for his sake... believe me I could care less about that. For my sake.

Answer yes sir, no sir and that's about it.... example: "Do you know how fast you were going?" = Yes sir..... and leave it at that, don't mention ANY speed. I've never had a cop ask a follow up such as "Well, how fast?" ... they just want to see if you offer up info.

anyways.... I'm getting off topic. Sorry to threadjack, back to how messed up this video is.

MikeN02

When the cop pulled me over I got off my bike, took off my helmet and started talking to him. He asked me for my license and registration and I gave him my license and opened up my seat to get my registration.

Detrich

good points everyone... re: the helmet tho... i'm guessing that we should leave it on until we are asked to remove it then? that would seem to be consistent with the 'no movement until asked' notion... cuz, the officer needs to see our face to verify ID right?

WarEagle07

wait until the officer makes contact with you then he will ask you to slowly get off of the bike and to remove your helmet first then he will ask you to get your info out. Im speaking from experience I am a former police officer

toofless

wait until the officer makes contact with you then he will ask you to slowly get off of the bike and to remove your helmet first then he will ask you to get your info out. Im speaking from experience I am a former police officer
i can verify that this statement is true, i have experience also, and i am not now nor have i ever been a police officer...

but these guys gave the officer the added reason to be wary, they sped away. if you speed away then get caught, the last thing you should do is give them any further reason to be nervous, i.e. hide your hands.

does this officer in the video not carry a tazer? seems like it would have been plenty effective...

nlpyle

I understand that the officers that protect this country have a very dangerous job, but this is going to far. We no long wait to be shot at or even just see the gun pointed at us, we are shooting as if we have a quato to fill. In Portland, OR our officers are shooting someone at least once a month. They shot and killed a homeless man coming out of the bathroom. The homeless man had a knife, but can you not use another way to disarm someone or can you find another way to resolve the issues rather then Grab Gun, Pull Trigger! I am sorry, I respect the officers but I am extremely sad to hear and see this play out. I hope something good comes from all this that will help change the way the police handle themselves in all situations from now on. Just my thoughts, Thanks

Mart Man FZ6R

On one hand the guy does move his right hand to his hip and look back. Butt, who in the hell is going to shoot like that. If I had a gun and was going to shoot with my right hand, I'd spin to the left to get a good view of my target. This cop is way wrong in my opion. Now one thing we don't know from this story is if there's a problem with motorcyclist carring guns and shooting at officers. If this were the case, and I was the cop, I'd be extremely trigger happy myself. This just doesn't look like the angle a guy would shot at you from . He could have easily taken cover behind his car before shooting to asses the cituation.

Roaddawg

I'm not going to get involved in a discussion about the officer's perceptions/fears in the shooting, because I wasn't there. (although, it doesn't look very justified at all to me) But, I'd like to give some advice on being pulled over:

To reiterate what Arkkornkid said, STOP in a safe place, turn off your bike, put down the kick stand, and keep your hands visible...to the officer, not you. Now he/she knows your not planning on running (like many motorcycles do). STAY ON your bike and DON'T REACH for anything until the officer asks you too. ASK the officer if you can get off your bike and take off your helmet. Then, when he/she asks you for your information, let them know where it is, i.e. jacket pocket, under seat,...BEFORE you go reaching for it in your pockets. If you let them know what you want to do, it will ease their tension and make the contact go better....for you. If your respectful of their safety, they will be respectful to yours as well.

Remember, when an officer stops you, they have absolutely no idea who you are and what your intentions might be. They tend to be on the defensive side until they get a feeling about you. For all they know, you just killed your entire family and are fleeing the state...or whatever. So, be calm, polite, and let them know your intentions/actions. They have families too and want to go home to them at the end of the day. You might get stopped once a year (or more if your Mike :) ) where they might stop 5, 10, 15 people a day. And, most all of those people aren't real happy to see them either. Then there's the ones they stop, or try to stop, and they run, or shoot back. They don't know what they are going to encounter. It's a tough job. Make it a little easier on them and yourself.

nlpyle

He could have easily taken cover behind his car before shooting to asses the cituation.[/QUOTE]

Right on, this is why I don't understand why the early shot? Don't get me wrong...if an officer is being fired upon, then by all means protect yourself. That is what you are getting paid for and that one I can understand. Just please figure out another way to train our Law enforcement so that people are not always getting shot when they didn't need to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.