Cooling Fan On/Off

FitZ6R

OK,,, so is the temp guage reading the coolent in the bike or in the rad? I think it may be in the bike
The coolant temp sensor is in the head.

ecunni04

I think it will cool faster shut off. With it idling, you're generating heat and then fighting it with the fan and rad. It will never get hotter after you shut it off, so there is no gain in running it to cool it down. You'd be better to ride it up the street and back and shut it off before you stop. Still pointless.
It will get hotter after it is shut off. Up to 200 degrees hotter as a matter of fact. This is heat soak and it happens to all water cooled engines. After the engine is shut off, the coolant stops circulating. This causes the already hot coolant to stay in the engine thus making the engine hotter. This is why the cooling fan will come on all by itself when the key is turned off. It's all about protecting the engine.

FitZ6R

This may be true but what about heat soak? If this is anything like a car with electric fans, it will come on automatically to protect the engine.
However, the difference is that car engines are in a tightly enclosed compartment, along with other heat-producing compnents (AC condenser, auto trans, sometimes a catalyst in the exhaust manifold). Bike engines are better able to passvely shed heat, which is why air cooled designs are still around.

Bottom line, if your bike's not boiling over, is all good. Where's the frickin' peace, love, and happiness smiley??

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

It will get hotter after it is shut off. Up to 200 degrees hotter as a matter of fact. This is heat soak and it happens to all water cooled engines. After the engine is shut off, the coolant stops circulating. This causes the already hot coolant to stay in the engine thus making the engine hotter. This is why the cooling fan will come on all by itself when the key is turned off. It's all about protecting the engine.
Heat soak will happen no matter when you shut it off. I was comparing idling the engine to cool it down before shutting it off. The heat soak will happen after you've idled it as well, so there is no benefit to idling the engine to bring the temp down a few degrees before shutting it off.

The only way to effectively mitigate heat soak in an exposed motorcycle engine is if you have an electric water pump that will circulate the coolant while the engine isn't running and then the fan can draw air through the rad to cool the coolant, that is then circulated through the engine to cool the engine. The fan running without the coolant circulating doesn't do much, hence the reason Yamaha doesn't keep it running for a few minutes after you shut down the bike.

ecunni04

Heat soak will happen no matter when you shut it off. I was comparing idling the engine to cool it down before shutting it off. The heat soak will happen after you've idled it as well, so there is no benefit to idling the engine to bring the temp down a few degrees before shutting it off.

The only way to effectively mitigate heat soak in an exposed motorcycle engine is if you have an electric water pump that will circulate the coolant while the engine isn't running and then the fan can draw air through the rad to cool the coolant, that is then circulated through the engine to cool the engine. The fan running without the coolant circulating doesn't do much, hence the reason Yamaha doesn't keep it running for a few minutes after you shut down the bike.
Point taken. Good argument though. Thanks...

XTRAWLD

So after all that......we are back to the original assumption - it's totally normal for the bike to do this. ;) Thanks for the friendly banter!

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Chucker

Going from memory, I think the temp flashes.

ChUcK

I believe the bike is "overheating" when the high temp warning light kicks in, it's an LED under the tach.

The manual says it comes on at around 243 deg F. Page 4-4.

EDIT: yeah, Chucker is also correct, the temp will start to flash as well.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member