Cooling fan modification

geko

Partners '09 XJ6 Diversion went in for its 600 mile service last week.

The dealer contacted us to say a stone had somehow managed to jam the radiator cooling fan stopping it from spinning. When they removed it the fan was very noisy in operation so they ordered a new fan.

Dealer contacted me again today to say that there is a modification 'plate' that fits to the fan/radiator to stop this happening. The new part is on backorder so haven't yet got to see exactly what it is.

Worth checking your cooling fan since it is clearly enough of an issue for them to have made a modification.

geko

Well the modification 'guard plate' for the radiator fan that was on backorder finally came in 10 days ago so we dropped the bike back in to the dealer to have it fitted - 15 minute job.

Here are three photos' of the guard plate in position and one of my bike that doesn't have it fitted to compare it to. (these are half faired XJ6 Diversions).

Apparently this is a fix on fail so unless your fan gets damaged by a stone, it won't be done under warranty.

Attachments

Edd

Thanks for the tip... I'm sure I've seen a radiator cover for sale out there, I'll post it if I see it again. Not sure that does the same job though!

geko

The radiator guards yamaha, evotech etc. sell fit in front of the radiator, the problem is that it's possible for stones to get thrown up from the wheel, bounce off the exhaust/engine and into the raditor fan where the plastic cowl around the fan traps it. Then next time the fan turns on the stone can jam the blades causing the fan motor to overheat, as well as the engine :(

mjsneyd

Hi Geko,

Bringing life back to this thread, can I ask if the fan itself was replaced under warranty? I have also had a stone get caught and the fan now needs replacing.

Which Yamaha dealer did you use? One's I have spoken to have not heard of this problem (and the solution of the radiator guard) on the xj6.

Thanks

davidstossel

To add to this thread.

This has happened to me today - stone caught in radiator fan causing it to short circuit, causing the engine to over heat. The bike had to be transported to the dealer where I was told that due to the fact that it was a foreign object that caused the issue, it is NOT covered by warranty.

$500 excluding labour for a new fan... Worst part is, fan is on back order and will be a three week wait.

David

geko

Hi Geko,

Bringing life back to this thread, can I ask if the fan itself was replaced under warranty? I have also had a stone get caught and the fan now needs replacing.

Which Yamaha dealer did you use? One's I have spoken to have not heard of this problem (and the solution of the radiator guard) on the xj6.

Thanks
Sorry for such a late reply. I don't frequent this forum so much now as I've sold my XJ6 but my partner still has (and loves) hers.

It was all done under warranty, parts and labour bearing in mind the bike was only a month or two old at the time. Dealer was Webbs Yamaha of Peterborough