contemplating a new mod

Craxican

so....i've definintely looked over the specifications and talked to my guys...and I should be able to throw a turbo on my bike without making any mods to the engine as long as I only boost 5 - 6lbs...if i want to boost more i would have to swap rods, pistons, ecu adjustments, etc...i'm just trying to figure out which turbo to snatch now...i like the Garrett gt1548

it has an easy-to-use wastegate, is small enough for a bike, and can handle up to 200+HP (not that i'm gonna boost that high anyway)...the problem that I am seeing is that I can spend $3000 for a kit that comes with everything that I would need to build a turbo system but I would still have to do some welding and fabbing, or I can spend half that and build the whole thing from the ground up...seems like a no brainer, but if I go with the kit, I could have the whole thing on the bike in like a week or so depending on the welding...if I build the system piece by piece, then my bike may be out of commission for awhile...any suggestions?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
If you have mad fabrication skills and the toolset to do it, I think it would be worth saving the cash and doing it yourself. On the other hand, a kit is a proven technology that you know will work.

One question? Will it all fit with the fairings in place or will you need to mod those to make it work?

Good luck! I'd like to see a dyno with that installed. :D

Craxican

Yeah i hear ya, the extra cash would be nice to save...
No, I'd be able to keep the fairings as is...the turbo would sit where the cat is...i realize that this is kinda weird to have the turbo mounted that far back, but if i extend the pipes (rather than running them into a single then the turbo) i won't lose that much power from the process

Now yes, I could mount the turbo directly under the headers, but that would force me to cut...but wouldn't it be cool to have the pipes run the side like the busa's sidewinder? That would be SICK!

O yeah, definitely gonna put it on the dyno after this mod...maybe several times lol

rubicon1000

Think first , this bike is not made for that kind of power this bike does not have the braking power. this bike is not a super sport bike its like putting a turbo on a geo metro there is no point unless u want to blow it up or kill yourself.

Hellgate

What are you going to use for fuel management? Something like a MegaSquirt?

cbzdel

Craxican

yes they are...our engines, though tuned down, are still R6 engines...and from what i have been told by bike turbo chargers, the engine can and will handle it without any adjustments to the engine or the ECU...he said that I would definitely need a power commander or something like it...i already have one and an AutoTune...so now it will be more of when I start ordering parts or order the kit and start the fabbing process...

I do appreciate the concern though:)

I want to let it be known...I am not doing this mod to beef up the bike or race or anything of that nature as honestly I do not like going faster than 70 in most cases...I simply think it would be cool to do and want to see what sort of numbers I will hit on the dyno and on a drag course...plus the brag factor;) lol

Craxican

Yeah, I was looking at MegaSquirt...but the guys at the shop say I don't need it unless I decide to boost over 5 to 6lbs...just a pcv or juice box, etc...if I decide to boost higher, then I will have to worry about a new EFI, but then I would also have to adjust the pistons and what nots...now I AM going to get a new EFI system anyway, but first I want to get the turbo on...since that is the most expensive part and is going to take awhile as my fabber is doing this as a favor and will only work on it when he has the chance...i figure i could empty some savings from one account and take my time getting everything else done...by the time the turbo is in place, I should be about ready to look at other adjustments...i'm hoping to have the kit installed by may

Making your bike a sleeper! Well good luck with the turbo! Never heard a bike with a turbo, wonder what it sounds like!

AfDevin86

Just want to know, and I am NOT bashing at all. Why do you want to Turbo this bike? Why did you choose this platform? Why not an r6? Your personal power preference and riding style fits you more with a REAL SUPERSPORT bike. The concept and the idea sounds freaking awesome but it's like for the same money OR LESS you can role a new zx14, Busa, or r1.

Craxican

so true...its more like a dream...seeing how far i can push this bike...the busas have been pushed to twin turbos and 500HP...1000cc bikes have also had this stuff done...but the fz6r...who would want to spend $7000+ on a $6000 bike? ME lol...like the guy with the super Ford Fiesta...I just want to see how far i can push it...i realize that even with a turbo running 10lbs, racing fuel, titanium pistons, rods, and rockers, and running octane boost, I will never beat a tricked out r1 or busa...maybe not even a tricked out 600cc bike...but i will get up with them and make them at least think about my bike...:wav:

(just to clarify...those prices are not correct...i would have actually spent more along the lines of $4000 in mods...meaning that I would have a turbo bike that should run faster than a stock r6 and keep up with a stock r1 up to about 150mph without engine work, all for about $10,000...the busa and zx14 are $13,000)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
It could be similar to my boss' attitude... He has the really fast supersports but doesn't like to mod them because they already go fast.

So, he bought an Aprilia scooter with the 2-cycle Italian 49cc engine in it. It's the one that has been around forever and there's a ton of stuff to do with it. So, after a port and polish, a bore kit, new clutch springs and counter weights, a tuned pipe and some other things he's not sharing, he has a "49cc" scooter that will stand up on the rear wheel when you go WOT and top out at 74 mph! When I asked him why? He said "Because I can!" :D LOL!

I'm not saying this is the reason Craxican wants to but it's a great example. :thumbup:

*EDIT* Apparently, he was answering as I typed this... ;)

cbzdel

on the R6 forums if someone talks about getting a turbo, most bash and say buy an R1 or Busa...

With this bike, personally, how different would a FZ6R - Turbo compared to a FZ1 with a full fairing kit and typical performance mods??

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Ironically, there is a turbo charged FZ1 in the FZ1OA forum. He's pushing the bike on the dyno to 171 - 174 hp.

Another put NOS on his bike. He did a spread spectrum spray with a nozzle over each of the velocity stacks. On the dyno? 208 HP at peak RPM with NOS applied. :eek: :D

Craxican

it probably be under the fz1 as far as top out speed...but 0 - 60 will be off the line outrageous, and go 0 - 150mph faster than most bikes because our bikes are geared low to mid, so all in all, a turbo fz6r will probably not compare to any 1000cc...maybe not even a tricky 750....but my 0 - 60 will beat most and though one may be able to go faster than me...they have to catch up first:p. Like i said, this mod is not to out do any other bike...it's to make the bike more mine and as FZ said, cuz I can lol...plus, when someone else is ready to upgrade from their fz6r and pay $5000+ for a bigger bike and have to spend more money on mods, i will still have my 6R and keep up...with no additional cost...busa costs $13000+, even with a trade you're looking at 8 maybe $9000 to shell out...or turbo your bike for 1500 - 3000 and keep it longer

cbzdel

its not the the engine your getting for more money, its better components.. the parts on the liter bikes are better that the 600 bikes for sure (mainly suspension, frame, ect.) you will have to upgrade everything else on the bikes as well...

Craxican

over time, sure, but it is not a must...a suggestion to run the bike better, but not a must...i don;t have to get better suspension, it would be smart, but i don;t have to...i didn't have to get a speedohealer after my sprocket swap, i wanted to, but could have been just as happy without it

I never said you were paying for the engine...i simply stated that when others are ready to upgrade and dish out the cash for a bigger bike that one cannot run at full capacity without breaking the law anyway, i can still ride my 6R and go just as fast and have bragging rights of having a turbo bike...how many 6Rs are you gonna see with a turbo? The unique factor alone is worth more to me than any bigger bike...all other bikes have been modded tricked out and pushed to the limit...the 6R has not, though I may not be the first to get there, or even the first to turbo the 6R, i will be one of the few...

the type of bike doesn't matter...your customization matters...anyone can look up how fast a stock bike can go...anyone can look up stock HP numbers, but no one can just look up one specific bike's customization and know the performance numbers or how well the bike rides, that has to be witnessed or asked...builder's pride man, builder's pride...

cbzdel

I get the builders pride thing, I am building a 71 Beetle for Autocross, I could of started with something better and easier and cheaper, but I am doing it for the fun of it plus its different.. Plus I have always wanted a beetle, so it will also be my daily driver.. I wanted one, its a classic and I am restoring it and making it a autocross classic..

I guess I should ask this, whats the reason for a turbo? If you plan on getting into racing, but just for something daily, it seems like an overkill and waste of time/money??? Think of our bike like the Honda Civic of bikes its cheap, affordable, slow (compared to other bikes with the same engine size) you you can trick it out and make it fast but in the end its still a Honda Civic with a ton of money dumped into it... When you can start out with something just as fast and STOCK for the same price.. There has to be a reason for dumping that much money into something other than, just to see if it can be done...

How do you plan on stopping if you are going 200+?? What happens if your turbo spools up into a corner and you lift the front wheel off the ground?? Do you have the fab skills to fab all this up yourself, if the answer is yes, do you have the knowledge to actually design a header?

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, I am just saying maybe its more of a project than you think and its going to cost ALOT more than you think unless you know everything about the topic...

But really the most important question is do you know how to fab and have the tools to do so? because cutting and welding it going to be the hardest part! Also what kind of welder do you plan on using?

Hopefully this thread makes since, I gotta quit trying out huge things on my cell phone because it takes to long to review them..

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I, for sure, think it would be interesting to see. The nice thing about the turbo setup will be that you could still use it as a daily rider. If you chose a turbo that spools at a higher rpm, you could keep riding it around the streets in the lower rpm range and not worry about spooling the turbo. But when you wanted to open it up at the track, just take the needle to the higher rpm's, and then hold on tight. :eek:

Or, the other is true as well. If you wanted to use this as more of a track bike strictly, you could go with a smaller turbine that spooled at lower rpm's and have the power almost instantly.

The options are nearly limitless, and I think you should go for it! :steve:

Craxican

I know it is crazy...but this is pretty much for sheer bragging rights...just to say that I have an FZ6R with a turbo...just like a Civic...it may still just be a Civic, but it's a better looking Civic and will turn more eyes than a stock Bose Mustang because it's different...plus no one will say that i'm stupid for having a bike that can go over 200mph, cuz i am not planning on boosting it that much...I am happy with never going over 120 on a track (which we all know our breaks can handle) and happy with never going over speed limits on the streets, but if another bike pulls up and decides to try and out-gun me...at least I can stay next to it without trouble...but no it's pretty much just because I can and have the will...and if it spools up, well every mistake is a lesson learned quicker lol...(originally the guy i was talking to was trying to sell me a T3/T4 Hybrid:eek:...can you imagine that on a motorcycle??????

As for the fabbing...that is gonna SUCK...luckily...I have A LOT of friends and are willing to do the fabbing for me:eek: THANK GOD FOR GREAT FRIENDS and moving around a lot when I was kid!!! So they will be handling all that and what nots...I will be putting it on the bike, swapping out the fuel pump, oil pump, adjusting the wastegate, attaching the boost meter, tinkering with those darn blow-off valves, drilling for the oil lines and such...if not for my friends, i do not think that this mod would be plausible for ME to do

Also...the rice rockets have proven that performance modification of lower end cars can put up a fight...plus if you have $25000, and buy a $5000 car, you now have $20,000 to put into mods and customization...where as if you buy a $25000 car, now you have a quick car, but it's the same as everyone elses that bought that car...

I would LOVE to see that Beetle when you're done! That sounds AWESOME