Commuting info/Daily driver

Demented Antics

How many of you commute with this bike as your daily driver? It will be all that i have while i am at my new university! University of Florida baby!! But anyways, gainesville is 153 miles (2hrs 39min) away from my house. About every 2-3 weeks i will have to come home to visit and whatnot. Is this bike good for that long trip? Also once i am in town my new house is 2 miles from my house so its just gonna be easy riding around town. Thanks for the help.

Demented

D

Doorag

I do about 25 miles a day commuting and a few hundred miles on the weekends. Loads of the couriers in London use them so that should tell you a) that they will hold up, and b) that they can be ridden all day long.

I also take my wife around for longer trips on the weekend and it's fine for that too. It really is a great all around bike.

O

Ozfazer6

I commute every day (30km's) ,about 300km's a week ,rain or shine and the bike is happy to do it .

reiobard

i go about 40 miles each way every day on my bike and love every second of it. if you are on the highway however you will probably want to get some grip puppies to help your hands out a bit, But those are something like $5. also a Puig windscreen will improve things if you get a lot of wind in your chest. Both of those are quick, easy mods that will make a world of difference.

C

CravenMoorhead

How many of you commute with this bike as your daily driver? It will be all that i have while i am at my new university! University of Florida baby!! But anyways, gainesville is 153 miles (2hrs 39min) away from my house. About every 2-3 weeks i will have to come home to visit and whatnot. Is this bike good for that long trip? Also once i am in town my new house is 2 miles from my house so its just gonna be easy riding around town. Thanks for the help.

Demented

I am sure you will love your new FZ6R when you get it and it seems to due most things well. You may have some trouble bringing your 2-3 weeks worth of dirty clothes home for your mom to wash on those back from college weekend visits though. :welcome:

Zipping around going 80mph on I75 and I95 getting passed by tractor trailors going 90+ is the least fun I have on my R.

S

Sawblade

I ride to work whenever when it's not cold AND wet or I don't need to carry anything bulky. It's only 18 miles round trip.

fz6rwolf

I commute most days on mine, about 32 miles round trip and have gone out for 5 hours riding, taking few breaks mostly for gas and it's been great.

phantomxc

I drive my R about 30 miles round trip everyday. This is either 1/2 freeway or all city, just depends on the weather. It was about 37 degrees this morning so city it was. I also bought a cheap $10 backpack from Walmart that matches my jacket :) Fits what I need perfect.

08fz6

I would say yes it will do it, however I would be very careful were you park and park at night.... Just remember no one else cares that its your bike.

Johnfz6r

I was doing a bit under 100 miles round trip to work when I first got my R but my working location moved so I am doing around 20 now :( I had no problems except with my backpack hurting my back. I replaced it with a ogio and it was great for the 1 week I did that ride. I would think it would be fine.

MNDZA

I rode for 100 miles yesterday and definitely could have went another 100, but I didn't want to ride in the dark.

K

kellybt1052

I do about 50 miles a day on mine when weather cooperates. usually about 4 days week in commuting plus another 200-300 on the weekend. The bike is great and quite comfortable. I have the cortech sport bags and they are excellent!! Highly recommend them. Enjoy the ride!!

Demented Antics

What are the RPM's at 80mph? Also at 80mph how well will it pass, and does it struggle? Thanks for the info guys and kelly, the cortech sport bags; where did you get it?

B

Bates121

Mt housemate rides his from la to Montery Bay its about a 300-400 mile ride, and on the weekends i put around 80-200 miles on it and I use it to commute to and from work about 20 miles round trip everyday. It will be fine:thumbup:

B

Bates121

in 6ht gear 80 mph is around 7000 rpm's I think but if you want to pass with a little more power drop back to fifth and open the throttle. I know these bikes will go 130+ mph's

fz6rwolf

I'm right at 7k at 80mph and at that speed no problems passing, if I'm at 60mph or so I'll drop it down to 5th and it'll pass QUICK;)

L

Luiz

Demented

Nice I am at UCF and home is about 189 miles away. I do it in about 2:30-3 hours.

The only problem is carrying stuff. Make sure you have some essentials at home or get a friend to help you out.

S

sjk625

I ride my FZ6 back and forth to school about every other week its about 100 miles and I don't have any problems with it. Well I guess that would be a lie, I often find myself going way over the speed limit.