College sucks

Mr Citrus

I've got 4 papers due on Thursday. Needed to rant. :rant:
And my 3 hours communication class is the worst ever. We sit in class for 3 hours, look at some slides, while she tells us how her week went.
And my CIS teacher has such a thick accent, I don't know half of what she is saying

Last edited:

yfz6r

Go to nursing school. in class 25 hrs per week. Study about 35 hrs a week to barely maintain a 75 which is lowest passing grade

Unbelievably hard (junior in BSN program at SEMO)

I have a 8-12 class on monday that is lecture and looking at slides
Just got out of an 9:30-12:30 class that is lecture.
Looking forward to a 8-11:30 class Thursday
Then a 7-12 class on friday (clinical so not as bad as the rest)
In addition to all the 1:15 classes throughout the week

Could be worse I guess...Med school

TokenSSDD

And my 3 hours communication class is the worst ever. We sit in class for 3 hours, look at some slides, while she tells us how her week went.
And my CIS teacher has such a thick accent, I don't know half of what she is saying
Yep, that sounds just like college. Just be glad the accent is in the CIS class and not anything math-related, where you don't understand anything that's being said and the teacher goes from problem straight to answer with no explanation SMH...:shakehead:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

AngryAnt

/Adding to the college degree pissing contest

Try out a pure science degree. Very few of math / physics / computer science teachers are a major 4-year university speak decent english.

I once had a calculus teacher (he was chinese) tell us how we were all fat, lazy Americans who didn't appreciate hard work.

I had to drop down to working about 25 hours a week for the last year of my computer science degree. Tons and tons of nights staying up until almost dawn working bugs out of programs we had only a day or two to write. In the end it made me a better programmer, but not fun at the time...

bmw675

those were the days.....

my first 3 years, I slacked off, didn't go to class much, just barely getting by.
My last year, I had to crack down. If i didn't pull off 2 A's and 3 B's in all 400 level Finance and Economics classes, I wouldn't of had a high enough GPA to graduate. Studied about as much as you are saying and I actually enjoyed it more than I did the previous 3 1/2 years. Looking back, I wish I would have tried for 4 years.

Oh, and I think 90% of my teachers had accents and names that nobody could understand.

the_cr

/Adding to the college degree pissing contest
I've just started in aviation :cool:

This semester is english (how to right an essay), surprisingly basic math, and lots of ground school. Unfortunately we've had all our support staff on strike across the province, which includes our mechanics so we haven't been able to fly.

However, they are now back to work. If the weather holds out I should be in the air on thursday :thumbup::thumbup:

It will start to get pretty busy soon, memorizing emergency procedures, checklists, acronyms and learning the weather/flight dynamics.

Hellgate

Get used to the accents, once you're in the real world you'll work with people from all over the world. Just be glad the English is the language of business.

Last we I was at a global meeting for world. I met people from; Dubai, Germany, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Singapore, Canada, Philippines, India, and Iowa. It is what it is...

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

killabee

just do your best. in the end it'll all be worth it.

AngryAnt

Get used to the accents, once you're in the real world you'll work with people from all over the world. Just be glad the English is the language of business.

Last we I was at a global meeting for world. I met people from; Dubai, Germany, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Singapore, Canada, Philippines, India, and Iowa. It is what it is...

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk
Agreed, but communicating business fundamentals and trying to learn complex material from somebody you barely understand can be quite different. An accent is one thing, not knowing english is another in my book :cool:

FlyZ6R

T'is the nature of the beast bro! If college was easy, everyone would do it. Just keep your head up and continue to press on. The fact that you actually care about school enough to "rant" on here shows that you are in the right mindset IMO. Best of luck!

I've just started in aviation :cool:

This semester is english (how to right an essay), surprisingly basic math, and lots of ground school. Unfortunately we've had all our support staff on strike across the province, which includes our mechanics so we haven't been able to fly.

However, they are now back to work. If the weather holds out I should be in the air on thursday :thumbup::thumbup:

It will start to get pretty busy soon, memorizing emergency procedures, checklists, acronyms and learning the weather/flight dynamics.
Sounds like English is a good place to start. (write=/=right);)

Aviation is a lot of fun, but also A LOT of work and $$. It was kind of surprising how difficult it was to do basic tasks (i.e. simple math) while flying sometimes. I swear there were days that it took 70% of my brain to fly and only had 30% to "think" with. The math and ground school will help, and it shows some people that they might not be cut out for aviation. It definitely gets better as you move along though. Stay motivated, know your stuff, and go apply it.

the_cr

Sounds like English is a good place to start. (write=/=right);)

Aviation is a lot of fun, but also A LOT of work and $$. It was kind of surprising how difficult it was to do basic tasks (i.e. simple math) while flying sometimes. I swear there were days that it took 70% of my brain to fly and only had 30% to "think" with. The math and ground school will help, and it shows some people that they might not be cut out for aviation. It definitely gets better as you move along though. Stay motivated, know your stuff, and go apply it.
ahaha, I am thoroughly embarrassed. Perhaps I'm not quite as far ahead as I had hoped :rolleyes::rolleyes: It's worse because one of my biggest pet peeves is the their/there/they're and to/too/two battle.

I'm definitely fortunate in that I come from a family that has been involved in aviation so I have some experience in the area and with the requirements.

The other very fortunate thing is that the college I go to is government subsidized. I pay tuition but will not have to pay for flight costs associated with the program. The college is the only fully subsidized aviation program in Canada (there are two other partially subsidized schools here in Ontario), and I will leave with a Commercial license and float endorsement. :D

Hellgate

Agreed, but communicating business fundamentals and trying to learn complex material from somebody you barely understand can be quite different. An accent is one thing, not knowing english is another in my book :cool:
That's funny, college is harder than work, good one...:thumbup:

I was an IT manager for many years, I've had to learn to understand accents of programmers who were 12 time zones away, discussing coding and functional solutions over the phone. It you're face to face it's much easier.

Once your ear tunes to that persons accent it becomes easier but it requires you to let them know you are not understanding something. It isn't easy but it can be done and that is the way the world is headed so you may as well get used to it now.

Sparkxx1

Lol you're not the only one. This week all my professors decided to conspire against me and I have 4 exams next week. 2 on monday 2 on tuesday. Keep in mind this is 2, 300 level math courses, a 200 level physics course, and a 300 level electrical engineering course. What a headache...

studies have shown it takes 2 weeks to get used to professors accents, I always hate those 2 weeks...

Last edited:

FlyZ6R

ahaha, I am thoroughly embarrassed. Perhaps I'm not quite as far ahead as I had hoped :rolleyes::rolleyes: It's worse because one of my biggest pet peeves is the their/there/they're and to/too/two battle.

I'm definitely fortunate in that I come from a family that has been involved in aviation so I have some experience in the area and with the requirements.

The other very fortunate thing is that the college I go to is government subsidized. I pay tuition but will not have to pay for flight costs associated with the program. The college is the only fully subsidized aviation program in Canada (there are two other partially subsidized schools here in Ontario), and I will leave with a Commercial license and float endorsement. :D
It's all good bro, I'm sure it was just a momentary lapse. It was just funny because it was in the same sentence as English class. I couldn't resist! :D

Sounds like you've got one of the best deals out there going for you! Your experience will serve you well. I definitely wish that I would've had some prior experience before I started the serious training. Not having to pay the flight costs is wonderful! That's a majority of the cost, and walking out with a Commercial and float endorsement is awesome!

Tmak73

My classes are pretty tough this semester as well.. Whenever I don't want to do homework I just make myself think about all the people who don't get to go to school.. We are fortunate so as my friends say to motivate me.. DO WORKS SON!