Clutch slipping?

evoxix

Hello All,
So over the weekened, I tried doing burnouts (wasn't very successful). Right after started riding again I noticed that when I twist the throttle it just revs and a very minimal amount of power goes to the wheel. Tried adjusting the wheel at the clutch lever and it wasn't very successful. This happened on the highway, I was able to do about 120km/h downhill and it slowed down dramatically uphill. Finally made it home and the next day I checked and adjusted clutch cable ( adjusted nut under the left fairings). Gears 1, 2 maybe 3 works ok, but 4,5 still doesnt seemed to transfer all the power to the rear wheel as before. I'm assuming this is a clutch slip? Has anyone had an experience similar to this? Bike only has 6000km's. I changed the oil at about 5600kms. I am debating whether to open up the cluch pack and see or is this a professionals job?
Thanks in advance.

motoguy82

may have baked your clutch plates. if you were slipping it a LOT because your rear tire was too grippy and wouldn't spin....then the clutch plates just slipped too much before the tire broke loose. at some point, the plates heat up, there's a change in the clutch compound and a glaze on the steels (I assume steel...not sure on this bike), and the surface will never grip the same again. if you're in top gear at low rpm and you roll on the throttle and the rpm's go up faster than you're accelerating, your clutch frictions/steels(or aluminums?) are done; replace both and be happy. put some damned water or something under the tire so it will spin easier next time.......or be cool and put rubbing alcohol and it will make lots of white smoke

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Probably glazed em..... $$

ScottM

Also, it seems to me that I read something in the owner's manual about a type of engine oil not to use due to the fact that it can cause clutch slippage. Engine oil lubricates the transmission on these bikes.

Roaddawg

Hello All,
So over the weekened, I tried doing burnouts (wasn't very successful). Right after started riding again I noticed that when I twist the throttle it just revs and a very minimal amount of power goes to the wheel. Tried adjusting the wheel at the clutch lever and it wasn't very successful. This happened on the highway, I was able to do about 120km/h downhill and it slowed down dramatically uphill. Finally made it home and the next day I checked and adjusted clutch cable ( adjusted nut under the left fairings). Gears 1, 2 maybe 3 works ok, but 4,5 still doesnt seemed to transfer all the power to the rear wheel as before. I'm assuming this is a clutch slip? Has anyone had an experience similar to this? Bike only has 6000km's. I changed the oil at about 5600kms. I am debating whether to open up the cluch pack and see or is this a professionals job?
Thanks in advance.
You forgot to include "I tried doing burnouts..." into the mileage equation! Your bike could have 5 miles on it, but if your abusing the clutch, it doesn't really matter, does it?!? Try adjusting the clutch back to were it was before. Maybe its adjusted out of whack once it cooled back down.

Deanohh

You had to horse-ass around and now you have burned out your clutch. You need to buy new clutch plates.... both types.. and hope the basket and pressure plate is still ok. Better have a shop put the new clutch in for you. If you haven't taken your clutch apart before, it is better to have an experienced person do it or you'll have a worse problem than when you started.

Crocop43

First off burnouts are for little boys.....second you ethier messed up your clutch or check your chain you could have loosened up your chain so much that it's slippin......but more than likely ur clutch......and that's alot of money....sorry but that's an expensive learning experience

evoxix

Thanks for your responses!
I'm assmuming glazed clutch is same as a burned clutch?
I didn't think sportbike clutches were that fragile, specially being wet clucthes and all. Gonna see how much it costs to replace this.

JSP

Super Moderator
Fragile isnt something I would call it. They are meant to slip a little being wet clutches. They are NOT meant to be abused by doing burnouts and constantly being slipped at that high of an RPM. They get super hot and can glaze over and no longer have any grip.

How many burnouts have you been doing, or "trying" to do. I think its more of the "trying" that killed it.

evoxix

Haha honestly, this is the first time I've done a burnout on a bike (that's why it didn't work properly). My friend on a CBR600 did it and I was tempted to do it too. Wheel probaby spinned once, and that's it. If I am burning out constantly something like this is totally understandable!

JSP

Super Moderator
Haha honestly, this is the first time I've done a burnout on a bike (that's why it didn't work properly). My friend on a CBR600 did it and I was tempted to do it too. Wheel probaby spinned once, and that's it. If I am burning out constantly something like this is totally understandable!
Hmm... yeah I really wouldnt think it would burn up just trying it one time. You are for sure you have the correct free play in your clutch lever?

evoxix

I've adjusted the cable/free play few different times. I don't think anything wrong with that. Except the small metal piece that's attached to the cable at the bottom (near the gear lever) doesn't go all the way back after I disengage the clutch. Looks like it doesnt have enough force to pull back the cable. It's weird to explain.
Bike runs decent now, better than before but not 100%

Deanohh

I've adjusted the cable/free play few different times. I don't think anything wrong with that. Except the small metal piece that's attached to the cable at the bottom (near the gear lever) doesn't go all the way back after I disengage the clutch. Looks like it doesnt have enough force to pull back the cable. It's weird to explain.
Bike runs decent now, better than before but not 100%
When you let go of the clutch lever with your hand, that engages the clutch. Is that what you meant? Also, What do you mean by all the way back? If you mean the cable does not get pulled tight by the clutch pushrod lever at the lower end of the cable, that is what free play is and its supposed to be that way or you won't have full pressure on your clutch plates.

If you don't understand free play, I am not convinced that when you adjusted your cable that you did it properly. Convince me.

Last edited:

2wheelie

I had the same problem with my 1st bike (750 Katana) long time ago. I thought I burned the clutch. The bike didn't pull at all. I had to walk it to a gas station and call my mechanic to send a tow truck. I don't know what he did, but charged me $35 and said it was good to go. No problems (and burnouts) since than :)