Clutch Play?

CraigEgg

What's the deal here:

My local tech told me that their should be like 1/8in dead play in the start of the clutch lever. Also, there is no adjustment capabilities in the cable/nut under the seat. This gives me about 1/2 inch before it disengages going in, and about 1/2 in to engage letting out.......and about 4 inches of dead play in between.

So, why do we have an adjuster on the handlebar/lever if it isnt meant to be moved?

I had/like it where the clutch lever pull/throw is real small, close to the grip.

Thoughts? Clarifications please,

Craig

Deanohh

What's the deal here:

My local tech told me that their should be like 1/8in dead play in the start of the clutch lever. Also, there is no adjustment capabilities in the cable/nut under the seat. This gives me about 1/2 inch before it disengages going in, and about 1/2 in to engage letting out.......and about 4 inches of dead play in between.

So, why do we have an adjuster on the handlebar/lever if it isnt meant to be moved?

I had/like it where the clutch lever pull/throw is real small, close to the grip.

Thoughts? Clarifications please,

Craig
I can't quite figure out what you're talking about. Where are you getting this "isn't meant to be moved" from? Forget about trying to measure the travel of the end of the clutch lever. Guys put on short levers, etc so that that measurement doesn't always work. Look at the other part of the clutch lever where the cable attaches to it.

The clutch cable is adustable at both ends... or either end. Do the big adjustment at the lower end, ( if you run out of threads on the handlebar)then fine tune it at the clutch lever end(handlebar). Adjust until the "slack" or play gives you the thickness the edge of a nickel coin gap or space right where you see the cable at the inboard end of the hand lever.

It sounds like you want so much slack that nothing happens until you pull the lever almost to the grip? That is not how the clutch is suppose to work. But it is your bike so do what you want. But if you do that, don't complain about the other problems you will have because the clutch will not be working properly.

Last edited: