Clutch connector not attached

ajskillz13

Hey guys. Was just messing around with my bike... Looking to see how easy it would be to roll my bars down a bit by myself. In checking the connections around the clutch, I noticed that there was an electrical looking line with a plug that was unhooked. It runs along side the electrical line to the signal/light box on the bar.

Can someone tell me what this is and why it had (seemingly) no affect on how the bike operated?

ajskillz13

Well... Google says it's what forces the clutch to be engaged to start the bike. This would make sense, as I haven't had to do so since I can remember. However, if it was disconnected, shouldn't it just fail to start, period?

FitZ6R

If the wire colors are black/red and black/yellow, it's the connector for the clutch switch.

If the clutch switch is disconnected, the bike will still start, but only in neutral.

CDN6R

I believe the electrical line is a safety that when un-pluged you can't start the bike in gear. Make the connection (plug the wire in the socket by the clutch) and then the engine will start, with the clutch engaged.

ajskillz13

Makes sense... I never start it from anywhere but neutral, so I never use this feature. Come to think of it, this is probably why I had such a tough time getting the bike restarted when I stalled it as a beginner. :p

I'm guessing the dealer missed this when putting the bike together.

Thanks guys.

CDN6R

No problem,,, the same thing happened to me when I first got the bike. When I went to start the bike and I had to put it back to neutral,,kind of a pain.:mad: So I got looking around and found the disconnected plug. BTW I did tell my dealer about it.

KeysRider3

Another disconnected clutch switch

Just took delivery of a new/old inventory 2009 FZ6R, and noticed that it wouldn't start in gear. I knew it had to do with the clutch switch, but hadn't seen the thread so I didn't know about the connector. Sure enough, mine was disconnected. I also figured out that the front brake line hose hadn't been properly routed and secured behind the lip of the front fender. So much for dealer prep and assembly fees!